    in a pop-up that said "Never see pop-ups like this ever again!!!". I was
    under massive spyware/popup attack and jumped at the life preserver; had a
    deadline that day and needed the machine back fast.

    tvfun, Jan 12, 2005

  2. tvfun

    Kerodo Guest

    In article <Hz2Fd.14103$>,
    says...
    > I purchased it awhile back and I have grown suspicious that it might not be
    > what it claims. I contacted their customer support people after checking and
    > finding that some things stopzilla claimed to remove appearantly were still
    > there.
    >
    > The stopzilla support rep claimed that it is better not to remove most
    > spyware from your machine but instead 'disable' it. His answer just didn't
    > seem to make sense. Is there any credibility to that statement?
    >
    > Am wondering if I got had and stopzilla is in kahoots with some
    > spyware/addware characters.
    >
    > I know I shouldn't have done this but I bought Stopzilla because it came up
    > in a pop-up that said "Never see pop-ups like this ever again!!!". I was
    > under massive spyware/popup attack and jumped at the life preserver; had a
    > deadline that day and needed the machine back fast.

    It is best to remove adware/spyware with Ad-Aware or Spybot, both free
    programs. If you're getting messenger service pop-ups then you most
    likely need a good firewall as well.

    --
    Kerodo

    Kerodo, Jan 12, 2005

  3. tvfun

    sh4d03 Guest

    tvfun wrote:
    > I purchased it awhile back and I have grown suspicious that it might not be
    > what it claims. I contacted their customer support people after checking and
    > finding that some things stopzilla claimed to remove appearantly were still
    > there.
    >
    > The stopzilla support rep claimed that it is better not to remove most
    > spyware from your machine but instead 'disable' it. His answer just didn't
    > seem to make sense. Is there any credibility to that statement?
    >
    > Am wondering if I got had and stopzilla is in kahoots with some
    > spyware/addware characters.
    >
    > I know I shouldn't have done this but I bought Stopzilla because it came up
    > in a pop-up that said "Never see pop-ups like this ever again!!!". I was
    > under massive spyware/popup attack and jumped at the life preserver; had a
    > deadline that day and needed the machine back fast.

    REMOVE the spyware with the applications mentioned by Kerodo.

    Both applications can be found at www.downloads.com
    Also grab SpySweeper from www.webroot.com and SpyWareBlaster from...
    umm... google it.

    Messenger popups don't need a firewall, just disable messenger, but as
    you've mentioned nothing about messenger being the cause of your popups
    we'll leave that one there.

    Certainly remove the spyware as leaving them there but 'disabled' (if
    this is possible) is not wise. If the elements are still there it is
    much easier for an intereseted party to re-enable it than it is to
    re-upload it to your system.

    All the best,
    Sh4d03

    --
    If you require more assistance or if my suggestion works please E-mail me at
    sh4d03 [at] TPG [dot] com [dot] au. Additionally, if you are able to provide

    sh4d03, Jan 12, 2005
  4. tvfun

    Vanguard Guest

    "tvfun" <> wrote in message
    >I purchased it awhile back and I have grown suspicious that it might
    >not be
    > what it claims. I contacted their customer support people after
    > checking and
    > finding that some things stopzilla claimed to remove appearantly were
    > still
    > there.

    If that is all on which you are basing your suspicions, that would also
    mean Ad-Aware, Spybot, CWshredder, MS (Giant) Anti-Spyware, and almost
    every anti-spyware product is "not what it claims." Ad-Aware and/or
    Spybot may claim to remove, for example, a CoolWeb Search infection,
    complete okay (so it seems), but CWS is still in your system afterward.
    You could try to then use CWShredder to eradicate it but it may return
    afterward (I'm just seeing some posts regarding yet another variant so
    CWshredder needs to catch up again).

    You will find that when removing spyware or malware that some of it is
    pernicious and will reinject itself if all of it isn't removed.
    Anti-spyware doesn't always know everything of crapware to know what to
    remove or how to properly remove it. That's why you need to do backups
    and save drive images (screw the System Restore in Windows XP because it
    is too unreliable) to make sure you can get back to the same state if
    your removal tools screw up your machine worse than it was. Some
    removal tools claim they will quarantine their eradications and then put
    them back if the eradication caused more problems than it fixed, but
    putting it back might not work unless the computer is in the same state
    immediately after the removal, and you might not find out about the
    worsened problem for days or weeks.

    Just because you and Stopzilla doesn't know how to eradicate a pest
    doesn't mean Stopzilla is a rogue or imposter (i.e., wolf in sheep's
    clothing). Even if it is "good guy" software, I don't know how
    effective it is (i.e., I've never used it because plenty of other
    freebie tools are to be had).

    > The stopzilla support rep claimed that it is better not to remove most
    > spyware from your machine but instead 'disable' it. His answer just
    > didn't
    > seem to make sense. Is there any credibility to that statement?

    Yes. For example, some crapware will chain a layered service provider
    (LSP) driver into the TCP layer. If you use Ad-Aware, Spybot,
    Stopzilla, or some other crapware removal tool, they may eradicate the
    infestation and get all the files out of your system but the chain gets
    broken so TCP doesn't work anymore and you can no longer connect
    anywhere. LSPfix is another tool to help eradicate crapware but unless
    you know how to use it and investigate what all is chained into TCP then
    you're like a layman using an axe to do heart surgergy.

    Removal of crapware can cause more severe problems than leaving it in.
    You might get nuisanced by popups but, at least, your computer still
    works. Some spyware that is bundled with whatever you choose to install
    will disable that chosen software if you eradicate the spyware (but then
    you need to decide if you really wanted that infested software). I
    don't use AOL's Instant Messenger (AIM) but there are plenty of posts
    and articles about crapware that is bundled with it. If I had an
    insuppressible itch for instant prattle gratification, and if I was
    using AIM and found it was infested, I'd get rid of it and find another
    solution.

    I'm not saying to not remove the crapware. I'm saying cover your ass so
    that you can perform a good restore in case removing it causes severe or
    nonrecoverable results. You are performing surgery on your system, and
    not understanding what your removal tools are doing (and knowing it
    BEFORE you commit their intended actions) is like driving blind and
    hoping there ain't no curves in the road: if you decide to be ignorant
    and drive blind, your mileage may vary ... abruptly.

    > Am wondering if I got had and stopzilla is in kahoots with some
    > spyware/addware characters.
    >
    > I know I shouldn't have done this but I bought Stopzilla because it
    > came up
    > in a pop-up that said "Never see pop-ups like this ever again!!!". I
    > was
    > under massive spyware/popup attack and jumped at the life preserver;
    > had a
    > deadline that day and needed the machine back fast.

    Whether or not Stopzilla is in cohoots with crapware authors or not,
    personally I wouldn't use any product that employed the tactics of
    crapware to generate revenue. You aren't clear just how or where the
    popup got displayed announcing the availability of Stopzilla. I recall
    reading some news blurbs about an anti-spyware company that has been
    charged with various infractions regarding their use of tactics to lure
    in customers and not providing the service or function they claim. I
    don't know if it was Stopzilla (since I don't recall the companies that
    were charged). Maybe someone else remembers that tidbit.

    In a quick Google search, I haven't yet found anything claiming
    Stopzilla is nastyware but then my search and reads were cursory and you
    would have more impetus to do the research yourself. Stopzilla was not
    listed at http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm as being
    a rogue or imposter.

    E-mail: vanguard_help AT yahoo.com (append "#NEWS#" to Subject)

    Vanguard, Jan 12, 2005