    NEC ND-3500A dvd burner?

    and if so, what are your opinions f it?

    and what media does it "like"?

    chickenbomb, Nov 6, 2004

  2. Shit Hot
    "chickenbomb" <> wrote in message
    news:Rn3jd.83$...
    > NEC ND-3500A dvd burner?
    >
    > and if so, what are your opinions f it?
    >
    > and what media does it "like"?

    Peter Rawlings, Nov 6, 2004

  3. Intenso,Verbatim,Infiniti so far no probs with anything I`ve tried.

    Peter Rawlings, Nov 6, 2004
  4. chickenbomb

    Papageno Guest

    Ritek 8x media only burns at 8x. At 60 cents each, not bad.
    But if you want 8x, you'll need different media.

    I also bought 4x Verbatim DVD+RW. Burns fine at 4x.

    NEC has a recommended list for this burner.

    RATED MAX
    TYPE MAKER TYPE SPEED WRITE

    -R Mitsubishi Verbatim 16x 16x
    -R Fuji 8x 8x
    -R Mitsubishi Verbatim 4x 8x
    -R PVC Pioneer 4x 8x
    -R Sony 8x 8x
    -R Taiyo Yuden 4x 8x

    -RW Mitsubishi Verbatim 4x 4x
    -RW JVC 4x 4x
    -RW TDK 4x 4x
    -RW Mitsubishi Verbatim 2x 2x
    -RW JVC 2x 2x
    -RW TDK 2x 2x
    -RW PVC Pioneer 2x 2x
    -RW Mitsubishi Verbatim 1x 1x
    -RW JVC 1x 1x
    -RW PVC Pioneer 1x 1x
    -RW Sony 1x 1x
    -RW TDK 1x 1x

    +R Taiyo Yuden 16x 16x
    +R Maxell 8x 8x
    +R Ricoh 8x 8x
    +R Sony 8x 8x
    +R MPO 8x 8x
    +R Taiyo Yuden prod rev 1 4x 8x
    +R Taiyo Yuden prod rev 0 4x 4x

    +R9 Mitsubishi Verbatim 2.4x 4x

    +RW Mitsubishi Verbatim 4x 4x
    +RW Philips 4x 4x
    +RW Ricoh 4x 4x
    +RW Sony 4x 4x
    +RW Mitsubishi Verbatim 2.4x 2.4x
    +RW Philips 2.4x 2.4x
    +RW Ricoh 2.4x 2.4x
    +RW TDK 2.4x 2.4x

    Looks like Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are the winners.

    Papageno, Nov 6, 2004
  5. chickenbomb

    Papageno Guest

    I meant to say ...

    Ritek 8x media only burns at 4x.

    Papageno, Nov 6, 2004
  6. chickenbomb

    MCheu Guest

    On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 08:53:38 -0500, "Papageno" <>
    wrote:

    >I meant to say ...
    >
    > Ritek 8x media only burns at 4x.

    Only 1/2 true. Assuming the use of the official firmwares only (1.16
    or 1.17), Ritek 8X DVD+R media (Ritek R03) has a maximum speed of 4x.
    The Ritek 8X (Ritek G05) DVD-R discs burn at the rated speed though.

    MCheu

    MCheu, Nov 6, 2004
  7. chickenbomb

    David Harris Guest

    chickenbomb wrote:

    > NEC ND-3500A dvd burner?
    > and if so, what are your opinions f it?
    > and what media does it "like"?

    I was going to get one, then someone else gave me a hint - dont.

    Now, FWIW, I have the "other" contender, the Pioneer 108, and with NIL's help (hacked FW 1.14), it
    rips and writes at 16x on almost any 4x DVD-R media Ive ever thrown at it (12 so far) !

    hth

    DH

    David Harris, Nov 6, 2004
  8. chickenbomb

    guv Guest

    On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 09:28:57 -0500, MCheu <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 08:53:38 -0500, "Papageno" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I meant to say ...
    >>
    >> Ritek 8x media only burns at 4x.

    >Only 1/2 true. Assuming the use of the official firmwares only (1.16
    >or 1.17), Ritek 8X DVD+R media (Ritek R03) has a maximum speed of 4x.
    >The Ritek 8X (Ritek G05) DVD-R discs burn at the rated speed though.

    G04 has a maximum burn speed of 2. Think you meant G04?

    --
    www.senaction.com

    guv, Nov 6, 2004
  9. chickenbomb

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Papageno" <> wrote in message
    >I meant to say ...
    >
    > Ritek 8x media only burns at 4x.
    >
    > "Papageno" <> wrote in message
    >> Ritek 8x media only burns at 8x. At 60 cents each, not bad.
    >> But if you want 8x, you'll need different media.
    >>
    >> I also bought 4x Verbatim DVD+RW. Burns fine at 4x.

    Kinda odd, my NEC ND-2510A burns RICOHJPNR01
    Ridata 4X DVD+R at 6X with stock firmware.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Nov 6, 2004
  10. chickenbomb

    Doug Ramage Guest

    > NEC ND-3500A dvd burner?
    >
    > and if so, what are your opinions f it?
    >
    > and what media does it "like"?

    I have had one for a few months and am very pleased with it. I bought it in
    preference to the Pioneer 108.

    Recent review (1 Nov 2004) rated the NEC 3500 higher than most of its
    rivals.

    http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2260&p=20

    Media I use is mainly Taiyo Yuden, Sony and Ritek.

    But the Pioneer 109 is immenent - although the triple format LG 4163 may be
    a better option. I, personally, am going for the LG.
    --
    Doug Ramage

    [Watch Spam Trap]

    Doug Ramage, Nov 7, 2004
  11. On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 12:24:17 GMT, "chickenbomb" <> wrote:

    >NEC ND-3500A dvd burner?
    >
    >and if so, what are your opinions f it?
    >
    >and what media does it "like"?

    I've enjoyed mine and burn TY media (fujifilm 8x dvd+r) at 12x no
    problem. The Pioneer seems to be more media friendly though if u want
    to go over 8x.

    MT

    Michael Thomas, Nov 7, 2004
  12. chickenbomb

    Papageno Guest

    "Doug Ramage" <> wrote in message
    > I have had one for a few months and am very pleased with it. I bought it

    in > preference to the Pioneer 108.

    > Recent review (1 Nov 2004) rated the NEC 3500 higher than most of its
    > rivals. http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2260&p=20

    I got the NEC, too.

    I tried the cheap Ritek 8x +R media. Only burns at 4x on the NEC.

    I should have checked with NEC before buying the Ritek media. NEC's web site
    has a list of media and compatibility. Looks like Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim
    are the top choices for the NEC (for speed, anyway).

    Here's the list:

    NEC ND-3500A MEDIA COMPATIBILITY

    RATED MAX
    TYPE MAKER:TYPE SPEED WRITE
    -R Mitsubishi:Verbatim 16 16
    -R Fuji 8 8
    -R Mitsubishi:Verbatim 4 8
    -R PVC:pioneer 4 8
    -R Sony 8 8
    -R Taiyo Yuden 4 8

    -RW Mitsubishi:Verbatim 4 4
    -RW JVC 4 4
    -RW TDK 4 4
    -RW Mitsubishi:Verbatim 2 2
    -RW JVC 2 2
    -RW TDK 2 2
    -RW PVC:pioneer 2 2
    -RW Mitsubishi:Verbatim 1 1
    -RW JVC 1 1
    -RW PVC:pioneer 1 1
    -RW Sony 1 1
    -RW TDK 1 1

    +R Taiyo Yuden 16 16
    +R Maxell 8 8
    +R Ricoh 8 8
    +R Sony 8 8
    +R MPO 8 8
    +R Taiyo Yuden rev 1 4 8
    +R Taiyo Yuden rev 0 4 4

    +R9 Mitsubishi:Verbatim 2.4 4

    +RW Mitsubishi:Verbatim 4 4
    +RW Philips 4 4
    +RW Ricoh 4 4
    +RW Sony 4 4
    +RW Mitsubishi:Verbatim 2.4 2.4
    +RW Philips 2.4 2.4
    +RW Ricoh 2.4 2.4
    +RW TDK 2.4 2.4

    Papageno, Nov 7, 2004
  13. chickenbomb

    Lordy Guest

    "chickenbomb" <> wrote in news:Rn3jd.83$Qw.14@newsfe5-
    gui.ntli.net:

    > NEC ND-3500A dvd burner?
    >
    > and if so, what are your opinions f it?
    >
    > and what media does it "like"?

    Why not put your model number somewhere in the Subject?
    Help everyone else to help you...?

    --
    Lordy

    Lordy, Nov 7, 2004
  14. chickenbomb

    Doug Ramage Guest

    "Papageno" <> wrote in message

    > "Doug Ramage" <> wrote in message
    >> I have had one for a few months and am very pleased with it. I bought it

    > in > preference to the Pioneer 108.
    >>
    >> Recent review (1 Nov 2004) rated the NEC 3500 higher than most of its
    >> rivals. http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2260&p=20

    > I got the NEC, too.
    >
    > I tried the cheap Ritek 8x +R media. Only burns at 4x on the NEC.

    My Ritek G05s burn at 12x.
    --
    Doug Ramage

    [Watch Spam Trap]

    Doug Ramage, Nov 8, 2004
  15. chickenbomb

    Octavian Guest

    > "Papageno" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Doug Ramage" <> wrote in message
    > >> I have had one for a few months and am very pleased with it. I bought

    it
    > > in > preference to the Pioneer 108.
    > >>
    > >> Recent review (1 Nov 2004) rated the NEC 3500 higher than most of its
    > >> rivals. http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2260&p=20

    > > I got the NEC, too.
    > > I tried the cheap Ritek 8x +R media. Only burns at 4x on the NEC.

    > My Ritek G05s burn at 12x.

    How can you find out what kind of disks you have?

    These Ritek's say Ridata on the inner rim. There are no other markings.

    Octavian, Nov 9, 2004
  16. chickenbomb

    Octavian Guest

    "Octavian" <> wrote in message
    > "Doug Ramage" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Papageno" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Doug Ramage" <> wrote in message

    > it
    > > > in > preference to the Pioneer 108.

    > > > I got the NEC, too.
    > > > I tried the cheap Ritek 8x +R media. Only burns at 4x on the NEC.

    > > My Ritek G05s burn at 12x.

    > How can you find out what kind of disks you have?
    >
    > These Ritek's say Ridata on the inner rim. There are no other markings.

    Oops ... there is indeed another marking.

    disk 1: T-101CH1401093510A06
    disk 2: T-101CH1401093509B06
    disk 3: T-101CH1401094448C07
    disk 4: T-101CH1401094447D07
    disk 5: I give up ... each disk has a different number.

    Are these serial numbers?
    Can you determine the type from this number?

    Octavian, Nov 9, 2004
  17. chickenbomb

    Biz Guest

    "Octavian" <> wrote in message
    > "Doug Ramage" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Papageno" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Doug Ramage" <> wrote in message

    > it
    > > > in > preference to the Pioneer 108.

    > > > I got the NEC, too.
    > > > I tried the cheap Ritek 8x +R media. Only burns at 4x on the NEC.

    > > My Ritek G05s burn at 12x.

    > How can you find out what kind of disks you have?
    >
    > These Ritek's say Ridata on the inner rim. There are no other markings.

    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=mozclient&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=dvdr ide
    ntifier

    Biz, Nov 9, 2004
  18. chickenbomb

    NSM Guest

    http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com

    NSM, Nov 9, 2004
  19. chickenbomb

    Octavian Guest

    "NSM" <> wrote in message

    > "Biz" <> wrote in message
    > |
    > | "Octavian" <> wrote in message
    >
    > | > How can you find out what kind of disks you have?
    > | >
    > | > These Ritek's say Ridata on the inner rim. There are no other

    markings.

    > http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com

    Thanks. It appears that I have a batch of Ritek RO3 (rev 2) disks.

    Octavian, Nov 9, 2004
  20. chickenbomb

    MCheu Guest

    On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 16:23:32 +0000, guv <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 09:28:57 -0500, MCheu <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 08:53:38 -0500, "Papageno" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>I meant to say ...
    >>>
    >>> Ritek 8x media only burns at 4x.

    >>Only 1/2 true. Assuming the use of the official firmwares only (1.16
    >>or 1.17), Ritek 8X DVD+R media (Ritek R03) has a maximum speed of 4x.
    >>The Ritek 8X (Ritek G05) DVD-R discs burn at the rated speed though.

    >G04 has a maximum burn speed of 2. Think you meant G04?

    Nope. G04 is Ritek 4x DVD-R. I've got a few of those too.

    I've got a new stack of RiData 8x DVD+Rs and and a half stack of Ritek
    DVD-Rs right next to me. Just checked them. The 8x DVD+R IDs as
    RITEK R03, the 8X DVD-R IDs as RITEK G05.

    Haven't got any of their 2x media, but according to VCDHelp's DVD
    media archive, the ID code on Ritek 2x DVD-R media is RITEKG03.

    MCheu

    MCheu, Nov 10, 2004