    pricture-frame maker perhaps.

    I'm enjoying reading the diverse range of views and experiences on
    this group, so I'll be interested to see your responses.

    Bryn James, May 3, 2004

  2. Bryn James

    dylan Guest

    "Bryn James" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > That question is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I wonder why it has such
    > prominence on the shooting dial of my Canon P&S cameras rather than
    > beeing buried deep on level 4 of one of the more obscure menu branches
    > where it belongs :).
    >
    > Is the world full of people who demand such a feature and use it all
    > the time?

    not too sure if full is the word but many including me do makes panoramas,
    but I never use the camera feature just do it 'manually' and overlap the
    images.

    > And what do you do with the long thin print when you get it? Not
    > exactly a user friendly format, is it?! A job for the custom
    > pricture-frame maker perhaps.

    frame it, look at it

    dylan, May 3, 2004

  3. Bryn James

    Mark Weaver Guest

    "Bryn James" <> wrote in message
    > That question is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I wonder why it has such
    > prominence on the shooting dial of my Canon P&S cameras rather than
    > beeing buried deep on level 4 of one of the more obscure menu branches
    > where it belongs :).
    >
    > Is the world full of people who demand such a feature and use it all
    > the time?

    I do shoot panos quite often, but I don't use the built in feature for
    alignment.

    > And what do you do with the long thin print when you get it? Not
    > exactly a user friendly format, is it?! A job for the custom
    > pricture-frame maker perhaps.

    Well, the image isn't necessarily long and thin. If you shoot in portrait
    mode and take a 3-6 image panorama, what you end up with is a higher res,
    ultra wide angle shot where the aspect ration isn't necessarily any more
    extreme than, say, a widescreen movie frame.

    That said, I do sometimes print and frame 'long' ones. I get 12" wide
    prints from Fototime (which uses EzPrints for panoramas) and order the
    frames from 'American Frame'.

    Mark

    Mark Weaver, May 3, 2004
  4. Bryn James

    jean Guest

    Not only for wide prints, you can make tall ones too or take 4 pictures in a
    2X2 (or more) matrix a if you don't have that super wide angle lens.

    Jean

    jean, May 3, 2004
  5. Bryn James

    Mark Weaver Guest

    "jean" <look_for@my_email.org> wrote in message
    > Not only for wide prints, you can make tall ones too or take 4 pictures in

    > 2X2 (or more) matrix a if you don't have that super wide angle lens.

    Yes, vertical panoramas are handy sometimes, too. But the 2x2 option Canon
    offers seems kind of pointless to me because you can achieve about the same
    coverage more simply with a strip of portrait orientation shots.

    Mark

    Mark Weaver, May 3, 2004
  6. Bryn James

    amh Guest

    Bryn James <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > That question is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I wonder why it has such
    > prominence on the shooting dial of my Canon P&S cameras rather than
    > beeing buried deep on level 4 of one of the more obscure menu branches
    > where it belongs :).
    >
    > Is the world full of people who demand such a feature and use it all
    > the time?
    >
    > And what do you do with the long thin print when you get it? Not
    > exactly a user friendly format, is it?! A job for the custom
    > pricture-frame maker perhaps.
    >
    > I'm enjoying reading the diverse range of views and experiences on
    > this group, so I'll be interested to see your responses.

    I use the panoramic stitch mode a handfull times per trip. I couldn't
    have gotten my nice picture of the Eiffle Tower without it (Can't
    leave Paris without that). Before my digital days I'd usually buy a
    throwaway panoramic for hiking trips and such to add to my 4x6 shots.
    I'm in the habbit of putting my pictures into albums with extra wide
    pages. Panoramic sized picture frames are widely available now but I
    haven't put one of my digital panoramics into a frame yet. Mainly
    because my walls are full of pictures not because of quality issues.
    My local photo shop will print panoramic pictures and customed sized
    shots.

    I'm an amature photographer but I suspect a professional wouldn't be
    permitted to have seams showing in a picture they are selling to a
    client.

    I rate my stitch mode high on the features that my camera has.

    Andy

    amh, May 3, 2004
  7. Bryn James <> writes:
    >That question is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I wonder why it has such
    >prominence on the shooting dial of my Canon P&S cameras rather than
    >beeing buried deep on level 4 of one of the more obscure menu branches
    >where it belongs :).

    Because it's one of the shooting modes of the camera, so it belongs with
    the other shooting modes. On some Canons these are selected by a menu,
    on others a dial is used.

    >Is the world full of people who demand such a feature and use it all
    >the time?

    I don't use it "all the time", but it is very useful when I want it.
    It does two independent things:

    1) Sets focus and exposure for the first frame, then uses the same
    settings for all subsequent frames so the images will match in
    brightness along the edges

    2) Provides a viewfinder display to help you overlap the images by a
    suitable amount for horizontal panoramas.

    If the camera has a true manual mode, where you can set aperture and
    shutter speed, you don't really need #1, but it's convenient. But on
    cameras without manual exposure control, panorama mode is the only way
    to get a series of images with matching exposures

    I have used panorama mode a number of times, while most of the other
    "creative shooting modes" have never been used at all.

    >And what do you do with the long thin print when you get it? Not
    >exactly a user friendly format, is it?! A job for the custom
    >pricture-frame maker perhaps.

    Plenty of people look at images on a computer, where handling a panorama
    is not a problem.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, May 3, 2004
  8. Bryn James

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Bryn James wrote:
    > That question is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I wonder why it has such
    > prominence on the shooting dial of my Canon P&S cameras rather than
    > beeing buried deep on level 4 of one of the more obscure menu branches
    > where it belongs :).
    >
    > Is the world full of people who demand such a feature and use it all
    > the time?
    >
    > And what do you do with the long thin print when you get it? Not
    > exactly a user friendly format, is it?! A job for the custom
    > pricture-frame maker perhaps.
    >
    > I'm enjoying reading the diverse range of views and experiences on
    > this group, so I'll be interested to see your responses.

    Hi...

    I do often, and love it; wouldn't be without it.

    Mostly at the cottage, take beautiful shots of the
    shorelines without having to go so wide angle that
    most gets wasted in cropping.

    Couldn't be all that wrong; your domestic TV is
    headed in the same direction :)

    Use the prints in collages...

    Grand daughter teases me as I type; reminding me of
    one of our favorites, sun just setting right over the
    cottage, and she appears in the shot twice :)

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, May 3, 2004
  9. Bryn James

    Paul H. Guest

    "Bryn James" <> wrote in message

    > And what do you do with the long thin print when you get it? Not
    > exactly a user friendly format, is it?! A job for the custom
    > pricture-frame maker perhaps.

    Here in the States, there is a chain of hobby and craft stores called
    "Michael's" which sells a 4 x 11.5-inch molded plexiglass frame for around
    $5.00 US; panoramic prints just slide in from the side. I have several of
    these scattered about which display panoramas taken at nearby nature
    preserves and they look quite nice, actually.

    I also view many of my panoramas on the computer screen with Irfanview:
    it's great to be able to use arrow keys to scroll horizontally across a
    180-degree panorama taken at dawn or dusk on a mountaintop. Much more
    interesting and memorable than a single frame photo, I think.

    Panoramas are terrific. One day I may even get to the Plains of Salisbury
    to make one of Stonehenge.

    Paul H., May 3, 2004
  10. Bryn James

    Mark Weaver Guest

    "Dave Martindale" <> wrote in message news:c75pfk$a93
    > But on
    > cameras without manual exposure control, panorama mode is the only way
    > to get a series of images with matching exposures

    In P&S mode you can often hold the exposure constant by keeping the shutter
    down to a half press in between the shots.

    Mark

    Mark Weaver, May 3, 2004
  11. Bryn James

    leo Guest

    "Bryn James" <> wrote in message
    > That question is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I wonder why it has such
    > prominence on the shooting dial of my Canon P&S cameras rather than
    > beeing buried deep on level 4 of one of the more obscure menu branches
    > where it belongs :).
    >
    > Is the world full of people who demand such a feature and use it all
    > the time?
    >
    > And what do you do with the long thin print when you get it? Not
    > exactly a user friendly format, is it?! A job for the custom
    > pricture-frame maker perhaps.
    >
    > I'm enjoying reading the diverse range of views and experiences on
    > this group, so I'll be interested to see your responses.

    I don't use the in camera panorama function. To do a proper panorama, you
    would need a tripod anyway and shoot each one by turning the head every 30
    degrees or so. you do need a camera with manual exposures or at least
    exposure lock. As for prints, many Epson printers can take roll paper, so
    it's becoming an interesting hobby. I do need to investigate some framing
    methods. Maybe just sandwich it between two pieces of Plexiglas. Perhaps
    someone can shed some light in how to do it inexpensively and creatively.

    leo, May 3, 2004
  12. Bryn James

    Jack Guest

    I make panoramas, but there is no need for it to be a special setting on the
    dial.
    I'd rather have another custom setting or something like that.
    The photostitch software doesn't care whether you used this mode or not.

    -Jack

    Jack, May 3, 2004
  13. Bryn James

    Mark Weaver Guest

    "leo" <> wrote in message news:eek:Avlc.2769
    > I do need to investigate some framing
    > methods. Maybe just sandwich it between two pieces of Plexiglas. Perhaps
    > someone can shed some light in how to do it inexpensively and creatively.

    AmericanFrame.com sells frames in any (reasonable) size you like and they're
    not expensive. The only potential problem is that really large mat material
    is hard to come by. I had to do a splice in the mat when I did a 12" x 48"
    framed print.

    Mark

    Mark Weaver, May 3, 2004
  14. Bryn James

    Mark Weaver Guest

    Mark Weaver, May 4, 2004
  15. Bryn James

    Bob Thomas Guest

    On Mon, 3 May 2004 11:09:53 -0700, "Jack" <>
    wrote:

    >I make panoramas, but there is no need for it to be a special setting on the
    >dial.
    >I'd rather have another custom setting or something like that.
    >The photostitch software doesn't care whether you used this mode or not.
    >
    >-Jack

    Which begs the question, which program do people prefer for doing
    panos ? There are quite a few out there and I reckon I've tried the
    lot - but the jury's still out on which one does it the best.

    So which one does everyone else fancy as the best ?

    Bob T.

    Bob Thomas, May 6, 2004
  16. Bryn James

    Mark Weaver Guest

    "Bob Thomas" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 3 May 2004 11:09:53 -0700, "Jack" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I make panoramas, but there is no need for it to be a special setting on

    the
    > >dial.
    > >I'd rather have another custom setting or something like that.
    > >The photostitch software doesn't care whether you used this mode or not.
    > >
    > >-Jack
    > >

    > Which begs the question, which program do people prefer for doing
    > panos ? There are quite a few out there and I reckon I've tried the
    > lot - but the jury's still out on which one does it the best.
    >
    > So which one does everyone else fancy as the best ?

    Well, there are different aswers for me to which is 'the best'. First pass
    on panos for me is an automatic stitcher (I use Photovista). It is
    extremely fast & easy and most of the time the results are excellent --
    either no stitching problems or ones so minor that I can fix them with a bit
    work with the clone tool and I'm done. Where Photovista doesn't give good
    results, I use Panorama Tools with the Hugin front end. What I really like
    about Hugin is the auto fine tuning of control points which makes it much
    easier to manually select control points.

    Mark

    Mark Weaver, May 6, 2004
  17. Bryn James

    WebKatz Guest

    "leo" <> wrote in message news:<oAvlc.2769$>...
    > "Bryn James" <> wrote in message
    > > That question is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I wonder why it has such
    > > prominence on the shooting dial of my Canon P&S cameras rather than
    > > beeing buried deep on level 4 of one of the more obscure menu branches
    > > where it belongs :).
    > >
    > > Is the world full of people who demand such a feature and use it all
    > > the time?
    > >
    > > And what do you do with the long thin print when you get it? Not
    > > exactly a user friendly format, is it?! A job for the custom
    > > pricture-frame maker perhaps.
    > >
    > > I'm enjoying reading the diverse range of views and experiences on
    > > this group, so I'll be interested to see your responses.

    > I don't use the in camera panorama function. To do a proper panorama, you
    > would need a tripod anyway and shoot each one by turning the head every 30
    > degrees or so. you do need a camera with manual exposures or at least
    > exposure lock. As for prints, many Epson printers can take roll paper, so
    > it's becoming an interesting hobby. I do need to investigate some framing
    > methods. Maybe just sandwich it between two pieces of Plexiglas. Perhaps
    > someone can shed some light in how to do it inexpensively and creatively.

    These guys will laminate almost any size print to a frame:
    http://www.laminage.com/artdepot/laminage.aspx

    They don't really care what the dimensions are, so this is a good,
    less expensive choice for displaying panoramas.

    Dave

    WebKatz, May 6, 2004
  18. Mark Weaver wrote:

    > "Bob Thomas" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Mon, 3 May 2004 11:09:53 -0700, "Jack" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>I make panoramas, but there is no need for it to be a special setting on

    > the
    >
    >>>dial.
    >>>I'd rather have another custom setting or something like that.
    >>>The photostitch software doesn't care whether you used this mode or not.
    >>>
    >>>-Jack
    >>>

    >>Which begs the question, which program do people prefer for doing
    >>panos ? There are quite a few out there and I reckon I've tried the
    >>lot - but the jury's still out on which one does it the best.
    >>
    >>So which one does everyone else fancy as the best ?
    >>

    > Well, there are different aswers for me to which is 'the best'. First pass
    > on panos for me is an automatic stitcher (I use Photovista). It is
    > extremely fast & easy and most of the time the results are excellent --
    > either no stitching problems or ones so minor that I can fix them with a bit
    > work with the clone tool and I'm done. Where Photovista doesn't give good
    > results, I use Panorama Tools with the Hugin front end. What I really like
    > about Hugin is the auto fine tuning of control points which makes it much
    > easier to manually select control points.

    I first bought PanaVue's Image Assembler, and it still does a very good job.

    However, these days I use Panorama Tools exclusively.

    With the addition of autopano.exe and enblend.exe, both the initial
    timeconsuming control point specification and the back-end stitch-line
    editing can be automated as much or as little as you want to, and the
    results are better than any commercial program.

    Terje
    --
    - <>

    Terje Mathisen, May 7, 2004
  19. Bryn James

    Webkatz Guest

    "Bob Thomas" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 3 May 2004 11:09:53 -0700, "Jack" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I make panoramas, but there is no need for it to be a special setting on

    the
    > >dial.
    > >I'd rather have another custom setting or something like that.
    > >The photostitch software doesn't care whether you used this mode or not.
    > >
    > >-Jack
    > >

    > Which begs the question, which program do people prefer for doing
    > panos ? There are quite a few out there and I reckon I've tried the
    > lot - but the jury's still out on which one does it the best.
    >
    > So which one does everyone else fancy as the best ?

    I just started using PanaVue and have been very impressed. It does in 5
    minutes what used to take me an hour.

    Dave

    Webkatz, May 7, 2004