    again. They see this feature as a way of extracting more revenue from the
    licence fodder, by restricting it to a more expensive “premium†version of
    the product.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 25, 2010

  2. On Nov 25, 1:17 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Some interesting backpedalling from Microsoft going on here
    > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/microsoft-dumps-drive-extender-fro...>:
    > first they say they’re removing this feature because it “was not meeting our
    > customer needs”, then they admit it’s a “popular feature”, which is borne
    > out by the angry feedback they’re receiving.
    >
    > My guess is, this is the invisible hand of the marketing department at work
    > again. They see this feature as a way of extracting more revenue from the
    > licence fodder, by restricting it to a more expensive “premium” version of
    > the product.

    your guess is just plain wrong

    Nathan Mercer, Dec 4, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    fro...>:
    >> first they say they’re removing this feature because it “was not
    >> meeting our customer needsâ€, then they admit it’s a “popular featureâ€,
    >> which is borne out by the angry feedback they’re receiving.
    >>
    >> My guess is, this is the invisible hand of the marketing department at
    >> work again. They see this feature as a way of extracting more revenue
    >> from the licence fodder, by restricting it to a more expensive
    >> “premium†version of the product.

    > your guess is just plain wrong

    I think he's bang on the money. Microsoft's single biggest strength is
    its marketing strategy.

    Certainly we know its software is buggy, full of security flaws, only
    available on a very limited number of platforms, and very expensive for
    what it is.

    Sweetpea, Dec 5, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 18:43:02 +1300, EMB wrote:

    > As opposed to Linux which is buggy, full of all manner of flaws,
    > commercially supported on very few platforms, and extremely expensive if
    > you want business grade support for it.

    The kernel (which is, after all the only part of a Linux distribution
    that is "Linux") cannot be said to be "full of all manner of flaws". It
    is freely available on virtually every hardware platform currently being
    manufactured, and is commercially supported by all the major Linux
    distributors on most major hardware platforms.

    M$ Windows, on the other hand, is only available on one hardware platform.

    Commercial support for Linux is not a requirement for many people using
    it, as they are often capable of offering support themselves.

    Sweetpea, Dec 5, 2010