    I see that one common complaint against ps camera is the small size of
    sensors. Is there any ps ir "bridge" camera that has a decent size
    sensor? Thanks.
    RPSinha, Nov 6, 2007

  2. RPSinha

    Guest

    On Nov 5, 10:15 pm, RPSinha <> wrote:
    > I see that one common complaint against ps camera is the small size of
    > sensors. Is there any ps ir "bridge" camera that has a decent size
    > sensor? Thanks.

    Most of PS cameras nowadays has 1/2.5" sensor (5.76x4.29mm). In
    contrast, most of digital SLR cameras have a 22.5x15mm sensor (APS ).
    The 4/3 system by Lumix and Olympus is slightly smaller, but still far
    larger than those used in PS cameras. There are only some cameras
    which have larger sensor than the regular 1/2.5P sensor, and they are:
    1/1.8" (7.18x5.32mm) - Panasonic Lumix FZ50, Canon G7, older Sony DSC-
    V3
    1/1.7" (7.6x5.7mm) - New Canon G9, Ricoh Caplio GX100

    Older PS cameras, produced up to 2-3 years ago, however have larger
    sensor, such as
    2/3" (8.8x6.6mm) - Canon Pro 1, Somy F828, Konica Minolta Dimage A1/A2/
    A200, Olympus C7070/8080. The most impressive one is the Sony DCS R1
    with sensor size of 21.5x14.4mm - i.e close to DSLR. I still saw one
    brand new in a camera store and it is as expensive as DSLR (more than
    the price of Sony DSLR A100). However, I heard it has excellent image
    quality.

    It is a pity that the PS cameras now has smaller sensors, and perhaps
    it is because of the marketing of their product against the DSLR. As
    the DSLR is getting popular in the past few years, the large size
    sensor PS cameras are replaced with the commonly used size of 1/2.5".
    , Nov 6, 2007

  3. RPSinha

    Bob Williams Guest

    RPSinha wrote:
    > I see that one common complaint against ps camera is the small size of
    > sensors. Is there any ps ir "bridge" camera that has a decent size
    > sensor? Thanks.

    The Leica M8 is a special case.
    It has a 27 x18 mm sensor which puts it squarely in the ranks of the
    excellent Canon 1D Mk II DSLR.
    It is a rangefinder type camera but it has interchangeable lenses!
    It's price is pretty scary at around $5K
    Bob Williams, Nov 6, 2007
  4. RPSinha

    John Bean Guest

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 23:29:49 -0800,
    wrote:

    >1/1.7" (7.6x5.7mm) - New Canon G9, Ricoh Caplio GX100

    You omitted the Fuji F series (F10/11/20/30/31/etc) which
    lead the pack in high-ISO performance.

    --
    John Bean
    John Bean, Nov 6, 2007
  5. RPSinha

    Guest

    On Nov 6, 5:29 pm, wrote:

    > 1/1.8" (7.18x5.32mm) - Panasonic Lumix FZ50, Canon G7, older Sony DSC-
    > V3
    > 1/1.7" (7.6x5.7mm) - New Canon G9, Ricoh Caplio GX100

    Forgotten the Fuji's? - the F20/30/40/50 and F6000/9000 series all use
    1/1.7" or 1/1.6" sensors, I think..

    A more rabid fuji fanatic may wish to correct my numbers.. (O:
    , Nov 6, 2007
  6. RPSinha

    bugbear Guest

    RPSinha wrote:
    > I see that one common complaint against ps camera is the small size of
    > sensors.

    You'll hear no such complaint from people
    who need long zoom lengths.

    Horses for courses, as always.

    BugBear
    bugbear, Nov 6, 2007
  7. RPSinha

    cmyk Guest

    <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Nov 5, 10:15 pm, RPSinha <> wrote:
    >> I see that one common complaint against ps camera is the small size of
    >> sensors. Is there any ps ir "bridge" camera that has a decent size
    >> sensor? Thanks.

    > Most of PS cameras nowadays has 1/2.5" sensor (5.76x4.29mm). In
    > contrast, most of digital SLR cameras have a 22.5x15mm sensor (APS ).

    No current DSLR has such a sensor - and only two ever did (the Canon EOS 20D and 30D).

    Cheers
    --
    cmyk
    cmyk, Nov 6, 2007
  8. RPSinha

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 04:15:17 +0000, RPSinha wrote:

    > I see that one common complaint against ps camera is the small size of
    > sensors. Is there any ps ir "bridge" camera that has a decent size
    > sensor? Thanks.

    Sure - there are some 'medium format' cameras - how much do you want to
    spend?
    ray, Nov 6, 2007
  9. I would suggest that there is very little reason to focus on the size of
    the sensor. There are going to be cameras with smaller sensors out
    performing cameras with larger sensors. I suggest focusing on the actual
    results of cameras under under the conditions you will be using yours and
    not this or that feature or rating. Look at real results not theoretical
    results.

    Also don't underestimate the importance of it's feel to you. We all have
    different size hands and different eyesight. Pick up that camera and look
    at whatever you will be using as a view finder under the conditions you will
    be using it (like outside in the sun).

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit
    Joseph Meehan, Nov 7, 2007
  10. RPSinha

    John Navas Guest

    Amen!

    On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 11:41:38 -0500, "Joseph Meehan"
    <> wrote in

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas <http:/navasgroup.com>
    John Navas, Nov 8, 2007
  11. wrote:

    > It is a pity that the PS cameras now has smaller sensors, and perhaps
    > it is because of the marketing of their product against the DSLR. As
    > the DSLR is getting popular in the past few years, the large size
    > sensor PS cameras are replaced with the commonly used size of 1/2.5".

    It's the combination of the small sensor with the increased megapixel
    count, that smaller sensors weren't as much of a problem with 3-4
    megapixels (in terms of noise).

    At least the Canon G9 has a larger sensor. The Ricoh Caplio GX100 also
    has one, but Ricoh doesn't sell cameras into the U.S. anymore (you can
    still buy them gray-market from Adorama), with and without the
    electronic viewfinder.

    "http://www.adorama.com/IRCGX100.html?searchinfo=caplio&item_no=5"
    "http://www.adorama.com/IRCGX100K.html?searchinfo=caplio&item_no=9"

    They say it has a USA warranty which is strange, but maybe they are
    providing it, rather than Ricoh.
    =?UTF-8?B?U01TIOaWr+iSguaWh+KAoiDlpI8=?=, Nov 8, 2007
  12. RPSinha

    John Navas Guest

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 08:25:01 -0800, SMS ???• ?
    <> wrote in
    <473337f9$0$79941$>:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> It is a pity that the PS cameras now has smaller sensors, and perhaps
    >> it is because of the marketing of their product against the DSLR. As
    >> the DSLR is getting popular in the past few years, the large size
    >> sensor PS cameras are replaced with the commonly used size of 1/2.5".

    >It's the combination of the small sensor with the increased megapixel
    >count, that smaller sensors weren't as much of a problem with 3-4
    >megapixels (in terms of noise).

    Actually they were, in part because sensors weren't as good, in part
    because noise reduction wasn't as good.

    >At least the Canon G9 has a larger sensor. ...

    With the pixel count pushed up to 12 MP. Do the math.

    CAMERA SENSOR DIA(MM) AREA(MM2) MP CELL
    Panasonic FZ30 1/1.8" 14.111 156.39 8.0 19.55
    Canon G9 1/1.7" 14.941 175.33 12.1 14.49

    Panasonic FZ30 has much bigger cells. Oops! ;)

    John Navas, Nov 8, 2007