    Any ideas?

    I just bought this router and I'm not changing it again, yet.

    , May 10, 2005

  2. Andre Da Costa, May 10, 2005

  3. Chris Guest

    64-bit or 32-bit, should make no difference. They should both work with
    your router without any headaches.

    You need to supply us with more information. I suspect you have either your
    router's networking configured incorrectly, or the OS's networking
    configured incorrectly. Did you have this router working before you ran
    64bit?

    Chris

    Chris, May 10, 2005
  4. Rick Guest

    I think you are lost. The inability to configure a router has
    absolutely nothing to do with Windows XP/Server 2003 x64. You need to
    contact your ISP to find out what settings are needed to get your router
    working. Then you need to contact DLink for Technical Assistance.

    Rick, May 10, 2005
  5. Guest

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 13:13:55 -0400, "Chris" <cdore.connecttech.com>
    wrote:

    >64-bit or 32-bit, should make no difference. They should both work with
    >your router without any headaches.
    >
    >You need to supply us with more information. I suspect you have either your
    >router's networking configured incorrectly, or the OS's networking
    >configured incorrectly. Did you have this router working before you ran
    >64bit?
    >
    >Chris

    Here's the deal
    I have xp64 in a duel boot configuration
    The router works fine in the 32bit version
    In xp64 I have no trouble joining my domain I can do everything on my
    private network that I should be able to do. In other words it works
    fine and I didn't change anything in the router.

    However I can not access the Internet however I can ping some sites
    but not others, for example I can ping comcast.net but not msnbc.com,
    but I can't open any web site period.

    Since I posted I removed the router from the setup and connected right
    to the cable modem. The computer boots fine and is assigned an ip from
    comcast but still no Internet.

    I'm stumped

    And to the other poster yes I downloaded new firmware for the router
    but It's seems that may not be the problem any longer.

    Thanks

  6. John Long Guest

    Is your problem you can not access the internet at all or that you can not
    access the internet from your x64 computer (and you can access the internet
    from your other computers) ?

    John

    John Long, May 10, 2005
  7. John Long Guest

    Check you DNS settings!

    You may have full access to the internet but not to a DNS server (so your
    computer can't convert the www.yahoo.com to an IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    which it needs use to connect to an internet site.

    John

    John Long, May 10, 2005
  8. Rick Guest

    Then I would say your Win x64 Network Connection is not configured
    correctly. Look at the connection settings in XP Pro, since you say it
    works from there, and try the same settings in x64. If you're using
    dynamic IP, the settings should be identical. If you're using static
    IP, then the only setting that should be different is the OS's IP.
    (Actually, you could have the same static IP since both OS's would not
    be active at the same time.)

    I have XP Pro, x64, WinME, and Fedora Linux on my computer and the
    router works the same no matter which OS I have booted.

    Rick, May 10, 2005
  9. Chris Guest

    <> wrote
    > However I can not access the Internet however I can ping some sites
    > but not others, for example I can ping comcast.net but not msnbc.com,
    > but I can't open any web site period.

    Be very careful about trusting ping as an indicator of you internet
    connectivity. A lot of admins have set their servers to not respond to ICMP
    ping packets. Ping is only useful if you know the other end should respond.

    > Since I posted I removed the router from the setup and connected right
    > to the cable modem. The computer boots fine and is assigned an ip from
    > comcast but still no Internet.

    When the router is installed, can you reach any internal web servers (if you
    have any)?

    Chris

    Chris, May 10, 2005
  10. Keith Guest

    By some chance do you have an Nvidia 250Gb chipset on the motherboard? :-0
    With the included firewall control software installed? If you do...remove
    it...

    Keith

    Keith, May 10, 2005
  11. Guest

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 14:49:03 -0500, "Keith"
    <> wrote:

    >By some chance do you have an Nvidia 250Gb chipset on the motherboard? :-0
    >With the included firewall control software installed? If you do...remove
    >it...

    BING!!!

    Think I'll look into that one!

    >Keith
    >
    ><> wrote in message
    >> The router works fine for the home network but it can not access the
    >> Internet. I can't even open the configuration page.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> I just bought this router and I'm not changing it again, yet.

    , May 10, 2005
  12. Guest

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 14:59:20 -0400, Rick <> wrote:

    >I think you are lost. The inability to configure a router has
    >absolutely nothing to do with Windows XP/Server 2003 x64. You need to
    >contact your ISP to find out what settings are needed to get your router
    > working. Then you need to contact DLink for Technical Assistance.

    I think you're lost

    I said I took the router out of the configuration and still can't
    connect to the Internet. So it's not the router. I've had the same ISP
    for 6 years and have setup routers many times with them and since it's
    not the router I don't need to call DLink or my ISP.

    But thanks for your polite response.

    > wrote:
    >> The router works fine for the home network but it can not access the
    >> Internet. I can't even open the configuration page.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> I just bought this router and I'm not changing it again, yet.

    , May 10, 2005
  13. Guest

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 13:16:25 -0600, "John Long" <>
    wrote:

    >Check you DNS settings!

    There the same they've always been. They point to my DNS server. I
    guess I could point it at Comcast's and see if that makes a
    difference. (Maybe I should check my DNS server also)

    >You may have full access to the internet but not to a DNS server (so your
    >computer can't convert the www.yahoo.com to an IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    >which it needs use to connect to an internet site.
    >
    >John
    >

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 10 May 2005 13:13:55 -0400, "Chris" <cdore.connecttech.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >64-bit or 32-bit, should make no difference. They should both work with
    >> >your router without any headaches.
    >> >
    >> >You need to supply us with more information. I suspect you have either

    >your
    >> >router's networking configured incorrectly, or the OS's networking
    >> >configured incorrectly. Did you have this router working before you ran
    >> >64bit?
    >> >
    >> >Chris
    >> >

    >> Here's the deal
    >> I have xp64 in a duel boot configuration
    >> The router works fine in the 32bit version
    >> In xp64 I have no trouble joining my domain I can do everything on my
    >> private network that I should be able to do. In other words it works
    >> fine and I didn't change anything in the router.
    >>
    >> However I can not access the Internet however I can ping some sites
    >> but not others, for example I can ping comcast.net but not msnbc.com,
    >> but I can't open any web site period.
    >>
    >> Since I posted I removed the router from the setup and connected right
    >> to the cable modem. The computer boots fine and is assigned an ip from
    >> comcast but still no Internet.
    >>
    >> I'm stumped
    >>
    >> And to the other poster yes I downloaded new firmware for the router
    >> but It's seems that may not be the problem any longer.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    , May 10, 2005
  14. Guest

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 15:30:10 -0400, Rick <> wrote:

    >Then I would say your Win x64 Network Connection is not configured
    >correctly.

    I'm coming to that same conclusion ;)

    >Look at the connection settings in XP Pro, since you say it
    >works from there, and try the same settings in x64. If you're using
    >dynamic IP, the settings should be identical.

    The router assigns the same IP when I log on.

    > If you're using static
    >IP, then the only setting that should be different is the OS's IP.
    >(Actually, you could have the same static IP since both OS's would not
    >be active at the same time.)

    They're the same since it's the same machine

    >I have XP Pro, x64, WinME, and Fedora Linux on my computer and the
    >router works the same no matter which OS I have booted.

    :(

    > wrote:
    >> Here's the deal
    >> I have xp64 in a duel boot configuration
    >> The router works fine in the 32bit version
    >> In xp64 I have no trouble joining my domain I can do everything on my
    >> private network that I should be able to do. In other words it works
    >> fine and I didn't change anything in the router.
    >>
    >> However I can not access the Internet however I can ping some sites
    >> but not others, for example I can ping comcast.net but not msnbc.com,
    >> but I can't open any web site period.
    >>
    >> Since I posted I removed the router from the setup and connected right
    >> to the cable modem. The computer boots fine and is assigned an ip from
    >> comcast but still no Internet.
    >>
    >> I'm stumped
    >>
    >> And to the other poster yes I downloaded new firmware for the router
    >> but It's seems that may not be the problem any longer.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    , May 10, 2005
  15. Guest

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 15:34:17 -0400, "Chris" <cdore.connecttech.com>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote
    >> However I can not access the Internet however I can ping some sites
    >> but not others, for example I can ping comcast.net but not msnbc.com,
    >> but I can't open any web site period.

    >Be very careful about trusting ping as an indicator of you internet
    >connectivity. A lot of admins have set their servers to not respond to ICMP
    >ping packets. Ping is only useful if you know the other end should respond.

    Yeah but I think they two respond. At least they did in the past.

    >> Since I posted I removed the router from the setup and connected right
    >> to the cable modem. The computer boots fine and is assigned an ip from
    >> comcast but still no Internet.

    >When the router is installed, can you reach any internal web servers (if you
    >have any)?

    I don't have any

    >Chris

    , May 10, 2005
  16. Guest

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 13:12:20 -0600, "John Long" <>
    wrote:

    >Is your problem you can not access the internet at all or that you can not
    >access the internet from your x64 computer (and you can access the internet
    >from your other computers) ?

    Can access from all PC's on network, even this one when it is in
    XP32bit (I'm doing it now)

    But xp64 and no go.

  17. Chris Guest

    If this fixes your problem please remember to post the solution so others
    can benefit.

    Chris

    Chris, May 10, 2005
  18. Guest

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 17:42:49 -0400, "Chris" <cdore.connecttech.com>
    wrote:

    >If this fixes your problem please remember to post the solution so others
    >can benefit.

    As it turns out I did not install the firewall (never did like it)

    This is really strange. Everything looks right and no firewall's I
    even have the icon on the tool bar showing an Internet connection and
    passing some traffic.

    It almost looks like a firewall issue but I don't have one installed
    or the windows one enabled. ;(

    Next step is to try a new NIC .
    Anyone know a good card that works with this version of windows?

  19. Patrick Guest

    If you cannot get to the router from x64 by using the
    internal IP address of your router (i.e. 192.168.whatever dlink uses)
    - it sounds to me like TCP/IP is not installed - even though it may say
    that it is in network properties.

    And not once did I read above where anyone mentioned
    the "wireless" word. So I am to assume that you are "plugged in"

    Patrick, May 10, 2005
  20. Patrick Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 10 May 2005 17:42:49 -0400, "Chris" <cdore.connecttech.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >If this fixes your problem please remember to post the solution so others
    > >can benefit.

    > As it turns out I did not install the firewall (never did like it)
    >
    > This is really strange. Everything looks right and no firewall's I
    > even have the icon on the tool bar showing an Internet connection and
    > passing some traffic.

    I am responsible for 6 different networks with a total of 40+ computers
    behind a dozen different routers.
    ....and I admit that I am anal in that "if it ain't part of the process - I
    get rid of it"
    and the only time that there has ever been an:
    "icon on the tool bar showing an Internet connection and passing some
    traffic"
    is when it was a ..........laptop running wireless.

    Is this the case?

    Patrick, May 11, 2005