Does any camera come with a laser pointer?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Peter Jason, Jan 16, 2013.

  1. Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > On 2013-01-17 09:36:40 -0800, David Dyer-Bennet <> said:

    >> Some laser pointers are Class 2
    >> or 2m,

    > Most laser pointers are Class IIa or 2D.

    >> and are safe if they're visible light (not infrared) because they
    >> won't damage your eye faster than you can blink (and aren't any threat
    >> to anything less sensitive than your retina).

    > Tell that to the FAA and the reports of "flash blinding" cockpit
    > intrusion incidents pilots have experienced on final approach.

    Were these definitely Class 2-something devices or some 50,
    100 or more mW lasers?

    Speaking of --- Rheinmetal has a new laser gun. They're
    saying one of it's uses is fetching drones out of the air.
    Can melt through quite a bit of steel.

    Somehow I doubt you'd be much worried about getting blinded
    by that one.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jan 20, 2013

  2. Peter Jason

    Steve B Guest

    "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    > In article <50fb5b47$0$10762$-secrets.com>, Peter
    > says...
    >> And here I always thought th choice of camera depends in large part on
    >> the job to be done.

    > I guess so. There may be situations in which a monster truck of a camera
    > is not the most suitable one.
    > It may be needed on a wedding to show everybody you're the top dog, but
    > in other situations there may be a need to operate in a more stealth
    > mode.
    > --
    >
    > Alfred Molon

    Friend of mine is a professional photographer. Weddings, all sorts of
    stuff.

    Anyway, on the bigger, better theme, he went out and bought a one ton dually
    truck with an aluminum extendable boom on it so that he could get overheads
    at weddings, and for some of his more exotic outdoor shots.

    Come to find out, it takes so much time to position the thing, especially
    with all the falderal that goes with a wedding, that it was impractical.
    And brides do not want a one ton dually in the middle of the buffet area, no
    matter the protestations of the groom and the testosterone group. And for
    outdoor professional work, he had historically practiced "composing with his
    feet", vs: "focusing with his feet", as discussed at length in another
    thread. On outdoors stuff, it is hard getting a one ton dually close to the
    subject, sometimes within half a mile.

    Bottom line, he had a "Larry" on his hands. (A very old salesman from the
    family used that term to describe any item that was a dud.) He put it out
    at a car lot for $14k, and it did not sell. At $14k, he was taking a
    beating. Think he finally sold it for around $10k. It was very light, and
    practical for one photographer, but so light that it was useless for someone
    say, hanging signs, or working from it with any additional weight
    whatsoever. And construction is slow here anyway.

    Sometimes bigger and better IS actually bigger and better, but it doesn't
    add a lot to the equation.

    Steve

    Steve B, Jan 20, 2013

  3. Peter Jason

    Steve B Guest

    "Wolfgang Weisselberg" <> wrote in message
    > Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >> On 2013-01-17 09:36:40 -0800, David Dyer-Bennet <> said:

    >>> Some laser pointers are Class 2
    >>> or 2m,

    >> Most laser pointers are Class IIa or 2D.

    >>> and are safe if they're visible light (not infrared) because they
    >>> won't damage your eye faster than you can blink (and aren't any threat
    >>> to anything less sensitive than your retina).

    >> Tell that to the FAA and the reports of "flash blinding" cockpit
    >> intrusion incidents pilots have experienced on final approach.

    > Were these definitely Class 2-something devices or some 50,
    > 100 or more mW lasers?
    >
    > Speaking of --- Rheinmetal has a new laser gun. They're
    > saying one of it's uses is fetching drones out of the air.
    > Can melt through quite a bit of steel.
    >
    > Somehow I doubt you'd be much worried about getting blinded
    > by that one.
    >
    > -Wolfgang

    Read somewhere that insurgents are now able to hack into drones
    communication with common laptops, and I think some breaches in security
    which should be plugged soon if not already. Read somewhere that there was
    a very simple way of detecting or defeating the drones, using a very common
    item, but can not recall what that was. Oh, well, we got lots of drones,
    and apparently one is getting through now and then.

    Steve

    Steve B, Jan 20, 2013
  4. Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes:

    > On 2013-01-17 08:23:17 -0800, Whisky-dave <> said:
    >
    >> On Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:05:39 PM UTC, Mr. Strat wrote:

    >>> Amateurs have such interesting ideas.

    >> It is intresting and could be made to work if there was enough money
    >> to be made from it, might be OK for specilised uses.
    >> No one seems very concenred by the lasers in supermarkets on teh
    >> tills they could probbelem use similar rechnology in camera but it'd
    >> be expensive or more expensive than present systems.

    > All of the checkout laser systems are contained by internal reflection
    > and are safe. Unless you are dumb enough to scan your head to read
    > that bar code tattooed on your forehead.
    >
    > Lasers pointers are aimed directly at the subject be it a presentation
    > board or screen (not a human).
    >
    > Targeting lasers on firearms, or for other munitions, are aimed at
    > hostile humans (perhaps a good description for folks at a wedding),
    > vehicles or buildings where injury by laser is a secondary
    > consideration. Being hit by a 500lb, 750lb, or 1,000lb JDAM is really
    > going to permanently screw with your vision.

    The laser sights on my Taurus revolver are class IIIa (I happen to have
    the paperwork around still). Looking that up, that means "Lasers in
    this class are mostly dangerous in combination with optical instruments
    which change the beam diameter or power density, though even without
    optical instrument enhancement direct contact with the eye for over two
    minutes may cause serious damage to the retina."

    So, it's pretty hard to hurt somebody accidentally with one of these.
    Certainly the two minutes of direct exposure is not the big danger!
    Possibly, in a room full of people using optical instruments more
    complex than eyeglasses, it might be possible, maybe.

    They also say this is a very common power level for both laser sights
    for firearms, and laser pointers.

    With this power level (which is stronger than any of the laser pointers
    I actually own), I don't worry about it. I don't point it steadily for
    extended periods, and there's no risk from the fleeting exposure of it
    tracking across an eye. (I might, in self-defense, hold the laser sight
    steady on somebody for a while, but as you say, since I'm prepared to
    use deadly force, I'm not that worried about minor issues.)
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 21, 2013
  5. Peter Jason

    Peter Guest

    On 1/19/2013 10:22 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 21:49:46 -0500, Peter <> wrote:
    > : On 1/18/2013 2:00 AM, nospam wrote:
    > :
    > : <snip>
    > : >
    > : > pros mostly stick to nikon/canon for a number of reasons.
    > : >
    > :
    > : I guess no pros use Hassies or Leicas.
    > : And here I always thought th choice of camera depends in large part on
    > : the job to be done.
    >
    > Truthfully, I'd be surprised if very many pros used Leicas these days. Those
    > who know more about such things than I do say that Leicas are well made and
    > have great glass. I don't doubt that's correct, but they're absurdly
    > overpriced and lack some nifty features that one expects on a modern camera. I
    > don't think I've ever seen a pro using a Leica, and those I've heard discuss
    > their equipment seem to favor Canons and Nikons (and the occasional
    > Hasselblad). I guess Nospam is more right than wrong this time.
    >
    > The architectural photographer I heard lecture last week spoke wistfully of
    > the view cameras he used for most of his career. He switched to digital (a
    > Canon 1Ds) when his sources of film started drying up. (He went on to say that
    > he's become a convert to digital and wouldn't go back, even if he could.)

    I know several pros who use the Hassy.One is a well known fashion
    photog, the others are Nat Geo guys. Yes, the Nat Geo guys also use
    Canons, and some even use a view with a Better Light scanning back.
    <http://www.betterlight.com/products4X5.html>

    /when the Nikon D800 E was released, some switched to that camera. But,
    I stand by my original point that the project will often drive the
    camera that is used.
    --
    PeterN

    Peter, Jan 21, 2013
  6. Peter Jason

    Peter Guest

    On 1/19/2013 10:35 PM, nospam wrote:
    > In article <50fb5b47$0$10762$-secrets.com>, Peter
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> pros mostly stick to nikon/canon for a number of reasons.

    >> I guess no pros use Hassies or Leicas.
    >> And here I always thought th choice of camera depends in large part on
    >> the job to be done.

    > do you not understand what the word mostly means?
    >
    > in any event, nowhere near as many pros use hasselblad or leica.

    As I have repeatedly said: What they use depends on the job to be done.

    --
    PeterN

    Peter, Jan 21, 2013
  7. Peter Jason

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Friday, January 18, 2013 8:21:11 PM UTC, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > Whisky-dave says...
    >
    > > Pros tend to go for solid relible products rather than the lastest thing unless of course ut';s very useful.

    > A tiltable screen *is* very useful.

    yes I know so is the ability to see around corners.

    Whisky-dave, Jan 21, 2013
  8. On Fri, 18 Jan 2013, nick c wrote:

    > On 1/18/2013 1:13 PM, Michael Black wrote:
    >> On Wed, 16 Jan 2013, Peter Jason wrote:
    >>
    >>> Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
    >>>
    >>> I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
    >>> and the like when the exposure is set for
    >>> pinpoint.
    >>>

    >> Probably not.
    >>
    >> But magazines like Popular Science used to have projects like how to
    >> make a pistol grip for your camera. Since I can picture those, I can
    >> even picture a sort of rifle grip, the stock against your arm and then a
    >> place to attach the camera.

    > I think such devices are still commercially available. I've been thinking of
    > getting one of those contraptions 'cause aging and shaking seem to be
    > synonymous. Then-again, I wonder if the anti-gun people would be upset if
    > someone publicly shouldered anything that looked like a gun being aimed. One
    > would expect common sense to prevail. However ...(Shrug). :)

    Yes, I guess I did see them as commercial products too. I don't think
    they looked like guns, the "rifle" ones were just a rifle but and then
    some hardware to hold the camera. I can certainly see a real value, you
    get stability without having to lean against something or have a tripod
    sitting somewhere.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Jan 24, 2013
  9. Peter Jason

    Peter Guest

    On 1/23/2013 8:33 PM, Michael Black wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Jan 2013, nick c wrote:

    >>> Probably not.
    >>>
    >>> But magazines like Popular Science used to have projects like how to
    >>> make a pistol grip for your camera. Since I can picture those, I can
    >>> even picture a sort of rifle grip, the stock against your arm and then a
    >>> place to attach the camera.

    >> I think such devices are still commercially available. I've been
    >> thinking of getting one of those contraptions 'cause aging and shaking
    >> seem to be synonymous. Then-again, I wonder if the anti-gun people
    >> would be upset if someone publicly shouldered anything that looked
    >> like a gun being aimed. One would expect common sense to prevail.
    >> However ...(Shrug). :)
    >>

    > Yes, I guess I did see them as commercial products too. I don't think
    > they looked like guns, the "rifle" ones were just a rifle but and then
    > some hardware to hold the camera. I can certainly see a real value, you
    > get stability without having to lean against something or have a tripod
    > sitting somewhere.

    According to several dealers, the one's with a wooden shoulder support
    are no longer available. Also, in today's climate I am concerned about
    the wisdom of carrying one. I can easily imagine blue haired lady
    freaking out.

    --
    PeterN

    Peter, Jan 24, 2013
  10. Peter Jason

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/24/2013 1:35 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-01-24 10:20:50 -0800, Peter <> said:

    >>> Yes, I guess I did see them as commercial products too. I don't think
    >>> they looked like guns, the "rifle" ones were just a rifle but and then
    >>> some hardware to hold the camera. I can certainly see a real value, you
    >>> get stability without having to lean against something or have a tripod
    >>> sitting somewhere.
    >>>

    >> According to several dealers, the one's with a wooden shoulder support
    >> are no longer available. Also, in today's climate I am concerned about
    >> the wisdom of carrying one. I can easily imagine blue haired lady
    >> freaking out.

    > As I had mentioned earlier in this sub-thread, "Bushhawk":
    > < http://www.bushhawk.com/ >

    Yup! I have seen that online. while it looks good, I will only buy after
    I test it for feel.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jan 24, 2013
  11. Peter Jason

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:35:03 PM UTC, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-01-24 10:20:50 -0800, Peter <> said:

    > >> Yes, I guess I did see them as commercial products too. I don't think

    > >> they looked like guns, the "rifle" ones were just a rifle but and then

    > >> some hardware to hold the camera. I can certainly see a real value, you

    > >> get stability without having to lean against something or have a tripod

    > >> sitting somewhere.

    > > According to several dealers, the one's with a wooden shoulder support

    > > are no longer available. Also, in today's climate I am concerned about

    > > the wisdom of carrying one. I can easily imagine blue haired lady

    > > freaking out.

    > As I had mentioned earlier in this sub-thread, "Bushhawk":
    >
    > < http://www.bushhawk.com/ >

    I think a 'rifle grip' was my 3rd or 4th 'photographic purchase (equipment wise) still have it somewhere.

    Whisky-dave, Jan 25, 2013