    and the like when the exposure is set for
    pinpoint.

    Peter
    Peter Jason, Jan 16, 2013

  2. Peter Jason

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 15, 8:48 pm, Peter Jason <> wrote:
    > Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
    >
    > I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
    > and the like when the exposure is set for
    > pinpoint.
    >
    > Peter

    I would re-think shooting any laser pointer at people, just in case
    you accidentally hit someone in the eye. I'd suggest getting a camera
    with an articulating LCD and orientate it to allow you to shoot from
    the hip.
    No cameras come with laser pointers, but you could mount one on any
    camera hot-shoe with a bit of adapting of a pre-existing laser pointer.
    RichA, Jan 16, 2013

  3. On 15/01/2013 8:48 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
    > Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
    >
    > I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
    > and the like when the exposure is set for
    > pinpoint.
    >
    > Peter

    Perhaps if you learn to use a camera? There have been well known street
    photographers that have done documentary work with 35mm film SLR that
    "shot from the hip"

    --
    This space intentionally left blank.
    Usenet Account, Jan 16, 2013
  4. Peter Jason

    Mort Guest

    Peter Jason wrote:
    > Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
    >
    > I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
    > and the like when the exposure is set for
    > pinpoint.
    >
    > Peter

    Do you wish to blind your enemies, or just your friends?

    Mort Linder
    Mort, Jan 16, 2013
  5. Peter Jason <> writes:

    > Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
    >
    > I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
    > and the like when the exposure is set for
    > pinpoint.

    Well, the Nikon flash focus assist grid works pretty well as an aiming
    device, and has the additional useful feature that it goes off before
    the picture is taken (a definite issue when trying to just duct-tape a
    laser pointer to your camera or something).

    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 16, 2013
  6. Alfred Molon <> writes:

    > In article <>, Peter Jason
    > says...
    >> Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
    >>
    >> I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
    >> and the like when the exposure is set for
    >> pinpoint.

    > How about using a camera with a tiltable LCD screen for framing?

    Well, sure, but...there really aren't any; not something that any
    professional wedding photographer would really recognize as suitable
    professional equipment for his use.

    Used to be, viewfinder flexibility was a feature limited to professional
    cameras. Lately, things seem to have reversed, and it's found only on
    consumer models.

    (Well, and the OM-D EM-5 or whatever the hell random string they named
    that nice Olympus M43 model.)
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 16, 2013
  7. Peter Jason

    nick c Guest

    On 1/15/2013 7:00 PM, George Kerby wrote:

    > On 1/15/13 7:48 PM, in article ,
    > "Peter Jason" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
    >>
    >> I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
    >> and the like when the exposure is set for
    >> pinpoint.
    >>
    >> Peter

    > Are you f--king CRAZY?!?

    So few words that say so much. :)
    nick c, Jan 17, 2013
  8. Peter Jason

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 16, 11:39 am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    wrote:
    > On 2013-01-16 08:14:56 -0800, ray carter <> said:
    >

    > > On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 07:55:25 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:

    > >> In article <>, Peter Jason
    > >> says...

    > >> How about using a camera with a tiltable LCD screen for framing?

    > > +1 on the tiltable screen. I've never used the one on my Pansonic G3 for
    > > that because I've had the need.

    > > The problem I see with a laser pointer would be parallax. Unless it's
    > > coming out of the center of the lens, it's going to have to compensate
    > > for being off center.

    > Even with a class III Laser sight which is usually mounted as close to
    > the plain of the barrel as possible it has to be zeroed. Most most
    > pistol laser sights are zeroed at 20M, and are going to provide a 1 MOA
    > degree of accuracy at 100M. That is within a 1 inch circle at 100M.
    > Very few shooters are going to be able to hold to that degree of
    > accuracy. The difference for ranges of 5-30M are unlikely to fall
    > outside a 2 inch point of aim circle.
    >
    > The primary issue remains safety, and the responsibility of any
    > photographer using such a targeting system at a wedding where it is
    > unlikely that everybody would be wearing eye protection. It is a dumb
    > idea.
    >
    > A laser pointer is not intended for pointing at people, and folks
    > targeted with laser sights on a firearm have more to worry about than
    > permanent vision damage.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Savageduck

    I'm wondering though, if a weak IR laser would produce a visible laser
    spot on a subject via viewing through an EVF or LCD? If so, it might
    be possible to do what the op wanted without risking any injury or
    annoyance with the people he's shooting at?
    RichA, Jan 17, 2013
  9. Peter Jason

    Steve B Guest

    "Peter Jason" <> wrote in message
    > Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
    >
    > I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
    > and the like when the exposure is set for
    > pinpoint.
    >
    > Peter

    Bad, bad, bad.
    Endangers eyesight.

    Steve
    Steve B, Jan 17, 2013
  10. Peter Jason

    Mort Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    > Peter Jason <> writes:
    >
    >> Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
    >>
    >> I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
    >> and the like when the exposure is set for
    >> pinpoint.

    > Well, the Nikon flash focus assist grid works pretty well as an aiming
    > device, and has the additional useful feature that it goes off before
    > the picture is taken (a definite issue when trying to just duct-tape a
    > laser pointer to your camera or something).

    These in-camera focus aids are LED lights and not lasers.

    Mort Linder
    Mort, Jan 17, 2013
  11. Peter Jason

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 18:58:29 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    : On 2013-01-15 17:48:05 -0800, Peter Jason <> said:
    :
    : > Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
    : >
    : > I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
    : > and the like when the exposure is set for
    : > pinpoint.
    : >
    : > Peter
    :
    :
    : I would seriously reconsider your "bright" idea for "shooting from the
    : hip". Deliberately arming your camera with a laser sight or pointer is
    : a bad idea, especially when you are taking it into a target rich
    : environment at a wedding.
    : You could rig a rail to the tripod mount and attach any one of many
    : available laser sights. A pistol sight would probably be most suitable.
    : However, I doubt that your insurance would cover any potential
    : liability just because you might think it a neat idea. You would be
    : best advised to stick to traditional photography techniques. After all,
    : it is a wedding and there is little need for "shooting from the hip".
    : Folks expect photographs to be taken at a wedding by some guy with a
    : camera held up to his/her face.

    Well, yeah, but the questioner may not be that guy. Somehow the question
    doesn't advertise itself as having come from a professional photographer, or
    even a serious amateur. When I take pictures at weddings, I don't mind being
    seen doing it; but I make it a point to stay out of the way of the
    professional who's being paid to document the event. My sense is that the
    overwhelming majority of the participants in these newsgroups - professionals,
    semis, and amateurs - would do the same.

    Remember the video that was posted briefly a few years ago of the still
    photographer who hogged the sight lines to the bride and groom all the way up
    the aisle? He froze out the videographer, but ended up falling into the
    baptismal font with all his gear. The videographer caught it all. :^) It was
    so hilarious that one was even left with the suspicion that the whole thing
    may have been staged.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jan 17, 2013
  12. Peter Jason <> wrote:

    > Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
    >
    > I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
    > and the like when the exposure is set for
    > pinpoint.

    Why not just strap a laser-sighted gun to the side of the camera? You could
    then also use it to weed out unwanted people from group shots before
    pressing the shutter release.

    300,000 kilometres per second: It isn't just a good idea, it's the law !!
    Gordon Freeman, Jan 17, 2013
  13. Peter Jason

    Steve B Guest

    "Gordon Freeman" <> wrote in message
    > Peter Jason <> wrote:
    >
    >> Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
    >>
    >> I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
    >> and the like when the exposure is set for
    >> pinpoint.

    > Why not just strap a laser-sighted gun to the side of the camera? You
    > could
    > then also use it to weed out unwanted people from group shots before
    > pressing the shutter release.

    You would certainly get the attention of any security person there, whether
    it be private or commissioned officer. They have a very, very bad
    disposition any time they are "painted" with a laser dot, and may react in
    very unpredictable and unfriendly ways. And just what if ............... a
    stray dot flies upward when shooting in the back yard, and you hit a billion
    to one shot of the cockpit of an airliner. They react very quickly and will
    report any such incident to homeland security. I know it is a reach, but it
    could happen.

    Steve
    Steve B, Jan 17, 2013
  14. Peter Jason

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 22:21:51 -0700, "Steve B" <>
    wrote:

    >"Gordon Freeman" <> wrote in message
    >> Peter Jason <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
    >>>
    >>> I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
    >>> and the like when the exposure is set for
    >>> pinpoint.

    >> Why not just strap a laser-sighted gun to the side of the camera? You
    >> could
    >> then also use it to weed out unwanted people from group shots before
    >> pressing the shutter release.
    >>

    >You would certainly get the attention of any security person there, whether
    >it be private or commissioned officer. They have a very, very bad
    >disposition any time they are "painted" with a laser dot, and may react in
    >very unpredictable and unfriendly ways. And just what if ............... a
    >stray dot flies upward when shooting in the back yard, and you hit a billion
    >to one shot of the cockpit of an airliner. They react very quickly and will
    >report any such incident to homeland security. I know it is a reach, but it
    >could happen.

    Here's a guy right here in my town that is quite adept at beating the
    odds:

    http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...ntence-20120823_1_laser-pointer-prison-planes

    --
    Tony Cooper, Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jan 17, 2013
  15. Peter Jason

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 11:44:02 PM UTC, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <>, David Dyer-Bennet says...
    >
    > > Well, sure, but...there really aren't any; not something that any

    > > professional wedding photographer would really recognize as suitable

    > > professional equipment for his use.

    > Lots of DSLRs or interchangeable lens cameras with tiltable LCD screens
    >
    > around. Why wouldn't a pro use them?

    I don't think that was the question, titltable screens first became availbe on so called amateur cameras rather than pro DSLRs as far as I remember.

    Whisky-dave, Jan 17, 2013
  16. Peter Jason

    Mr. Strat Guest

    In article <>, Peter Jason
    <> wrote:

    > Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
    >
    > I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
    > and the like when the exposure is set for
    > pinpoint.
    >
    > Peter

    Amateurs have such interesting ideas.
    Mr. Strat, Jan 17, 2013
  17. Peter Jason

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:05:39 PM UTC, Mr. Strat wrote:
    > In article <>, Peter Jason
    >
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > > Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.

    > > I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings

    > > and the like when the exposure is set for

    > > pinpoint.

    > > Peter

    > Amateurs have such interesting ideas.

    It is intresting and could be made to work if there was enough money to be made from it, might be OK for specilised uses.
    No one seems very concenred by the lasers in supermarkets on teh tills they could probbelem use similar rechnology in camera but it'd be expensive or more expensive than present systems.
    Whisky-dave, Jan 17, 2013
  18. I actually OWN a camera with such a pointer, though not laser. It also
    aids manual focus. The camera was made in 1948. Its a 4x5 Pacemaker Crown
    Graphic. It does not blind people. However, this feature only words indoors
    since its not all that bright.

    It uses a small light bulb whose filament's image is send out
    through the two rangefinder ports. You focus by aligning the two images.

    Of course it does have parallax. However, since the pointing error is
    fixed, for aiming you can easily compensate. This would work
    with an SLR also.

    Sending out a weak (say 0.1 milliwatt) red laser, from a one inch
    diameter port, focused to a one inch spot at say 30 feet,
    would not be a blinding problem at all. It would work perfectly.

    Doug MCDonald
    Doug McDonald, Jan 17, 2013
  19. Mort <> writes:

    > David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    >> Peter Jason <> writes:
    >>
    >>> Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
    >>>
    >>> I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
    >>> and the like when the exposure is set for
    >>> pinpoint.

    >> Well, the Nikon flash focus assist grid works pretty well as an aiming
    >> device, and has the additional useful feature that it goes off before
    >> the picture is taken (a definite issue when trying to just duct-tape a
    >> laser pointer to your camera or something).

    > These in-camera focus aids are LED lights and not lasers.

    I know. He said "like laser pinpointing". This projects a target grid
    that gives you a pretty good idea where the picture will be taken; I
    think that's "like" enough to be work suggesting.

    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 17, 2013
  20. Alfred Molon <> writes:

    > In article <>, David Dyer-Bennet says...
    >> Well, sure, but...there really aren't any; not something that any
    >> professional wedding photographer would really recognize as suitable
    >> professional equipment for his use.

    > Lots of DSLRs or interchangeable lens cameras with tiltable LCD screens
    > around. Why wouldn't a pro use them?

    You won't find that sort of feature above the consumer-level produts; in
    the Nikon line (the one I know) it's not on the D700, D800, or D4 (or
    older models at that level).
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 17, 2013