Does any camera charge by a USB cable? (5V)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Faughnan, Jul 16, 2004.

  1. I'd like to buy a camera to take on my business travel. It has to be
    smaller than my G2. I'd like 4 megapixel and 3x zoom, compact size,
    reliability and ruggedness. All typical requirements.

    But I have one atypical requirement.

    I'd like to charge it via a standard mini-B USB cable (5V in). That
    way I don't have to carry yet another charger. (My goal is that all my
    peripherals eventually charge from my laptop -- phone, PDA, iPod,
    camera).

    Does anyone make a camera that will charge via a USB cable?

    Thanks!

    john

    PS. I rather like the Canon S400 (cheaper now that the 5 mpixel model
    is out!), but of course it won't charge via USB.

    meta: jfaughnan, jgfaughnan, USB, charger, adapter, adaptor, battery,
    laptop, camera, digital camera

    John Faughnan, Jul 16, 2004

  2. An interesting requirement. I am not aware of any that would do that. I also
    do not think that there will be one coming either since the USB cable is
    designed for something different.

    Jack-of-the-Dust, Jul 16, 2004

  3. John Faughnan

    Apteryx Guest

    > I'd like to buy a camera to take on my business travel. It has to be
    > smaller than my G2. I'd like 4 megapixel and 3x zoom, compact size,
    > reliability and ruggedness. All typical requirements.
    >
    > But I have one atypical requirement.
    >
    > I'd like to charge it via a standard mini-B USB cable (5V in). That
    > way I don't have to carry yet another charger. (My goal is that all my
    > peripherals eventually charge from my laptop -- phone, PDA, iPod,
    > camera).
    >
    > Does anyone make a camera that will charge via a USB cable?

    I've seen a Phillips key ring camera that is said to charge via a USB
    connection (not so much a cable - it looks like you just remove the
    protection cap from the camera's USB plug, and plug the camera into a
    USB socket. But the only one of your other criteria that it
    satisfisfies is being smaller than a G2. Just 1.3MP, and no mention (or
    likelihood) of a zoom. Maybe next year.

    --
    Apteryx
    Treat anger like gold. Spend it wisely or not at all.

    Apteryx, Jul 16, 2004
  4. In article <>, John
    Faughnan <> wrote:

    > Does anyone make a camera that will charge via a USB cable?

    Interesting idea, but I've never seen it on a retail camera. One big
    issue would be the power available from a USB port. A USB port will
    supply no more than 500MA at 5V; this may not be enough to charge most
    cameras, at least not in a reasonable period of time.

    Also, one would be building circuity into the camera that would be
    useful to very few people; this adds cost, to little marketing
    advantage. Companies HATE that...

    Scott Schuckert, Jul 16, 2004
  5. "John Faughnan" <> wrote in message
    > I'd like to buy a camera to take on my business travel. It has to be
    > smaller than my G2. I'd like 4 megapixel and 3x zoom, compact size,
    > reliability and ruggedness. All typical requirements.
    >
    > But I have one atypical requirement.
    >
    > I'd like to charge it via a standard mini-B USB cable (5V in). That
    > way I don't have to carry yet another charger. (My goal is that all my
    > peripherals eventually charge from my laptop -- phone, PDA, iPod,
    > camera).
    >
    > Does anyone make a camera that will charge via a USB cable?

    Well you can buy AA USB chargers, but two of those will be bigger than a
    charger, and you want to avoid AA powered cameras anyway.

    The problem is that the chargers that come with cameras are high current, to
    charge quickly, at a high rate.

    And the smaller digital cameras often charge the battery externally only,
    unlike the G2, so just a cable won't do you any good. The best camera for
    travel is the Canon S500. At least the charger is very compact, and has no
    cables.

    I run into the same problem as you. Sometimes chargers take up a lot of my
    luggage space!

    Steven M. Scharf, Jul 16, 2004
  6. "John Faughnan" <> wrote in message
    > I'd like to buy a camera to take on my business travel. It has to be
    > smaller than my G2. I'd like 4 megapixel and 3x zoom, compact size,
    > reliability and ruggedness. All typical requirements.
    >
    > But I have one atypical requirement.
    >
    > I'd like to charge it via a standard mini-B USB cable (5V in). That
    > way I don't have to carry yet another charger. (My goal is that all my
    > peripherals eventually charge from my laptop -- phone, PDA, iPod,
    > camera).
    >
    > Does anyone make a camera that will charge via a USB cable?

    Also see: www.national.com/appbriefs/files/AppBrief101.pdf

    Charging a single cell Li-Ion battery via USB is quite possible. I think
    that no one does it because the low current would mean a long recharge time.
    Since the charging circuitry for Li-Ion is always inside the camera (if
    in-camera charging is done), you can't do an add-on cable that will work.

    Steven M. Scharf, Jul 16, 2004
  7. John Faughnan

    Charlie Self Guest

    Steve Scharf states, flatly:

    >Well you can buy AA USB chargers, but two of those will be bigger than a
    >charger, and you want to avoid AA powered cameras anyway.

    I'm sure there's a reason for the second half of your statement. I can't figure
    it out, though. My *istD is currently on its first set of batteries and past
    the 300 pix mark. There seems to be no lack of power, keeping a few extras
    charged doesn't hurt, and if I run down, I can hit the corner store, any store
    or darned near, and get a set of alkalines that will run things for close to 80
    shots, or some lithium CRV3s that will run the camera for 500 or so shots.

    Charlie Self
    "When you appeal to force, there's one thing you must never do - lose." Dwight
    D. Eisenhower

    Charlie Self, Jul 16, 2004
  8. John Faughnan

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Steven M. Scharf wrote:
    > "John Faughnan" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'd like to buy a camera to take on my business travel. It has to be
    >>smaller than my G2. I'd like 4 megapixel and 3x zoom, compact size,
    >>reliability and ruggedness. All typical requirements.
    >>
    >>But I have one atypical requirement.
    >>
    >>I'd like to charge it via a standard mini-B USB cable (5V in). That
    >>way I don't have to carry yet another charger. (My goal is that all my
    >>peripherals eventually charge from my laptop -- phone, PDA, iPod,
    >>camera).
    >>
    >>Does anyone make a camera that will charge via a USB cable?

    > Well you can buy AA USB chargers, but two of those will be bigger than a
    > charger, and you want to avoid AA powered cameras anyway.

    You are and others are quite free to avoikd AA powered cameras if you so
    wish. Personally, having good luck with my A40 I'll stick with them
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jul 16, 2004
  9. On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:05:02 -0400, Scott Schuckert hath writ:
    > In article <>, John
    > Faughnan <> wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone make a camera that will charge via a USB cable?

    > Interesting idea, but I've never seen it on a retail camera.

    Well, my LogiTech Pocket Digital _only_ charges through a USB cable. :)

    Jonesy

    Allodoxaphobia, Jul 16, 2004
  10. "Apteryx" <> wrote in message news:<WbNJc.1003$>...

    > > Does anyone make a camera that will charge via a USB cable?

    > I've seen a Phillips key ring camera that is said to charge via a USB
    > connection (not so much a cable - it looks like you just remove the
    > protection cap from the camera's USB plug, and plug the camera into a
    > USB socket. But the only one of your other criteria that it
    > satisfisfies is being smaller than a G2. Just 1.3MP, and no mention (or
    > likelihood) of a zoom.

    I found a 2003 post that suggested the amp needs (capacity) of a
    digicam battery are probably too low for most digicams. A digicam
    requries a lot of power. The voltage output of USB is perhaps closer
    to what's needed, but it sounds like firewire voltage output would be
    better.

    Knowing there's really nothing available does simplify the task, the
    s400 looks like a good option for me.

    Thanks,

    john

    meta: jfaughnan, digicam, recharge

    John Faughnan, Jul 16, 2004
  11. In article <>,
    Allodoxaphobia <> wrote:

    > Well, my LogiTech Pocket Digital _only_ charges through a USB cable. :)

    Funny, that doesn't come up when I google "digital camera" <GRIN> Let's
    try "electronic party favor..."

    Scott Schuckert, Jul 18, 2004