    but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives delivered
    and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP activation?

    , Aug 21, 2006

  2. --Alias-- Guest

    wrote:
    > Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate it
    > but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives delivered
    > and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP activation?

    Not unless you plan to install the same copy of XP on one or both of
    them. If they are only going to be used for storage, you can add as many
    as your computer can handle, move them to another computer, etc. WPA
    only keeps track of the Master hard drive where XP is installed.

    Alias

    --Alias--, Aug 21, 2006

  3. Don Burnette Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate it
    > but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives delivered
    > and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP activation?

    Shouldn't, but since your doing both so closely together, why not go ahead
    and install XP, and just hold off
    on activating it until you get your secondary drives installed?

    Don Burnette

    Don Burnette, Aug 21, 2006
  4. Guest

    wrote:

    >Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate it
    >but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives delivered
    >and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP activation?

    Changing three pieces of hardware requires a reactivation (the cpu
    counts as two) there are exceptions.

    As mention'd stick the HD in first then install XP, you start with
    three hardware changes still available.
    http://www.licenturion.com/xp/fully-licensed-wpa.txt

    --
    http://tinyurl.com/gso3c

    , Aug 21, 2006
  5. Guest

    On 21 Aug 2006 10:54:59 -0700, wrote:

    >Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate it
    >but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives delivered
    >and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP activation?

    It didn't for me.

    http://www.easynn.com

    , Aug 21, 2006
  6. Toolman Tim Guest

    wrote:
    > Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate
    > it but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives
    > delivered and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP
    > activation?

    Shouldn't - I swap data drives in and out of my system regularly.
    Specifically, when someone brings me a drive with the OS so buggered it
    won't run, I plug it into my system, backup the data, then pull it out and
    return it to the original system. I do that as often as several times a
    month.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 21, 2006
  7. Margolotta Guest

    On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:18:18 +0100, wrote
    (in article <>):

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate it
    >> but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives delivered
    >> and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP activation?

    > Changing three pieces of hardware requires a reactivation (the cpu
    > counts as two) there are exceptions.
    >
    > As mention'd stick the HD in first then install XP, you start with
    > three hardware changes still available.
    > http://www.licenturion.com/xp/fully-licensed-wpa.txt

    Er, no, the CPU does NOT count as two - a NIC does.

    Margolotta, Aug 21, 2006
  8. Guest

    Margolotta <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:18:18 +0100, wrote
    >(in article <>):
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate it
    >>> but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives delivered
    >>> and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP activation?

    >> Changing three pieces of hardware requires a reactivation (the cpu
    >> counts as two) there are exceptions.
    >>
    >> As mention'd stick the HD in first then install XP, you start with
    >> three hardware changes still available.
    >> http://www.licenturion.com/xp/fully-licensed-wpa.txt
    >>

    >Er, no, the CPU does NOT count as two - a NIC does.

    Cpu counts as two, the Prescott chip caused concerns that it would
    count as four.

    --
    http://tinyurl.com/gso3c

    , Aug 21, 2006
  9. Rod Speed Guest

    Toolman Tim <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate
    >> it but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives
    >> delivered and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP
    >> activation?

    > Shouldn't - I swap data drives in and out of my system regularly.
    > Specifically, when someone brings me a drive with the OS so buggered
    > it won't run, I plug it into my system, backup the data, then pull it
    > out and return it to the original system. I do that as often as
    > several times a month.

    Its easier to image it over the lan using True Image
    booted from CD on the buggered system.

    Rod Speed, Aug 21, 2006
  10. In article <>,
    "Rod Speed" <> wrote:

    > Toolman Tim <> wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > >> Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate
    > >> it but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives
    > >> delivered and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP
    > >> activation?

    > > Shouldn't - I swap data drives in and out of my system regularly.
    > > Specifically, when someone brings me a drive with the OS so buggered
    > > it won't run, I plug it into my system, backup the data, then pull it
    > > out and return it to the original system. I do that as often as
    > > several times a month.

    > Its easier to image it over the lan using True Image
    > booted from CD on the buggered system.

    That of course is assuming that said PC has a network card in it (which
    surprisingly, some still don't), the PC is otherwise working, and you
    have the time to wait for a transfer over a network connection - knowing
    that it will also bog down the network.

    David Matthew Wood, Aug 21, 2006
  11. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    > >Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate it
    > >but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives delivered
    > >and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP activation?

    > Changing three pieces of hardware requires a reactivation (the cpu
    > counts as two) there are exceptions.
    >
    > As mention'd stick the HD in first then install XP, you start with
    > three hardware changes still available.
    > http://www.licenturion.com/xp/fully-licensed-wpa.txt

    Since this drive is secondary, this doesn't apply.

    David Matthew Wood, Aug 21, 2006
  12. Rod Speed Guest

    David Matthew Wood <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "Rod Speed" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Toolman Tim <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Shouldn't - I swap data drives in and out of my system regularly.
    >>> Specifically, when someone brings me a drive with the OS so buggered
    >>> it won't run, I plug it into my system, backup the data, then pull
    >>> it out and return it to the original system. I do that as often as
    >>> several times a month.

    >> Its easier to image it over the lan using True Image
    >> booted from CD on the buggered system.

    > That of course is assuming that said PC has a network
    > card in it (which surprisingly, some still don't),

    Easier to add a NIC temporarily than to move the drive.

    > the PC is otherwise working,

    He just said that the OS is buggered, not the hardware.

    > and you have the time to wait for a transfer over a network connection

    You have to wait with the drive physically moved too.

    Once you have to wait, it doesnt really matter how long,
    you do something else while its happening anyway.

    > - knowing that it will also bog down the network.

    No it wont if you've implemented it properly.

    Rod Speed, Aug 21, 2006
  13. ProfGene Guest

    wrote:
    > Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate it
    > but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives delivered
    > and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP activation?

    Just make the one on the same ribbon connector as the HDD with the
    operating system the slave and the other one the opposite of what your
    CD or DVD drive is. If there is nothing on the others there will be no
    conflict with the operating system.

    ProfGene, Aug 22, 2006
  14. In article <>,
    "Rod Speed" <> wrote:

    > David Matthew Wood <> wrote:
    > > In article <>,

    > >> Its easier to image it over the lan using True Image
    > >> booted from CD on the buggered system.

    > > That of course is assuming that said PC has a network
    > > card in it (which surprisingly, some still don't),

    > Easier to add a NIC temporarily than to move the drive.

    True...most the of time.

    > > the PC is otherwise working,

    > He just said that the OS is buggered, not the hardware.

    okay then.

    > > and you have the time to wait for a transfer over a network connection

    > You have to wait with the drive physically moved too.
    >
    > Once you have to wait, it doesnt really matter how long,
    > you do something else while its happening anyway.

    Well, that depends on whether or not you're pressed for time on either
    a, getting the machine up and running again
    or
    b, getting the files recovered.

    Makes quite a difference, especially when the drive you're backing up
    has over 160gigs worth of data on it..

    > > - knowing that it will also bog down the network.

    > No it wont if you've implemented it properly.

    Implemented what? Unless you're using a crossover cable between the two
    computers, you're transferring large amounts of data over what is
    essentially a shared connection, in which case you have three choices:
    One, just do it all in full and hog part of the network for however long
    it takes to transfer the data

    Two, limit the speed at which the data is being transferred, which of
    course will increase the time it takes to back up everything

    or Three, make the data transfer in short bursts rather than going
    constant which again increases the time it takes to back up everything.

    Granted there are certain times where I would use a network connection
    to do this, like if I had to do this with a laptop and removing the
    drive involved lots of dismantling, but most of the time I do it the
    other way.

    David Matthew Wood, Aug 22, 2006
  15. Toolman Tim Guest

    David Matthew Wood wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "Rod Speed" <> wrote:
    >
    >> David Matthew Wood <> wrote:

    >>> That of course is assuming that said PC has a network
    >>> card in it (which surprisingly, some still don't),

    >> Easier to add a NIC temporarily than to move the drive.

    > True...most the of time.
    >

    >>> the PC is otherwise working,

    >> He just said that the OS is buggered, not the hardware.

    > okay then.
    >
    >>> and you have the time to wait for a transfer over a network
    >>> connection

    >> You have to wait with the drive physically moved too.
    >>
    >> Once you have to wait, it doesnt really matter how long,
    >> you do something else while its happening anyway.

    > Well, that depends on whether or not you're pressed for time on either
    > a, getting the machine up and running again
    > or
    > b, getting the files recovered.
    >
    > Makes quite a difference, especially when the drive you're backing up
    > has over 160gigs worth of data on it..
    >

    >>> - knowing that it will also bog down the network.

    >> No it wont if you've implemented it properly.

    > Implemented what? Unless you're using a crossover cable between the
    > two computers, you're transferring large amounts of data over what is
    > essentially a shared connection, in which case you have three choices:
    > One, just do it all in full and hog part of the network for however
    > long it takes to transfer the data
    >
    > Two, limit the speed at which the data is being transferred, which of
    > course will increase the time it takes to back up everything
    >
    > or Three, make the data transfer in short bursts rather than going
    > constant which again increases the time it takes to back up
    > everything.
    >

    > Granted there are certain times where I would use a network connection
    > to do this, like if I had to do this with a laptop and removing the
    > drive involved lots of dismantling, but most of the time I do it the
    > other way.

    Agreed - I can get a hard drive out of most systems in just a few minutes,
    but laptops can take much longer. It's much faster to do a drive to drive
    transfer than over a network, plus one more advantage: virus scan! I keep my
    PC updated, so I'm not copying infected files, which would then re-infect
    upon returning to the original system.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 22, 2006
  16. Toolman Tim Guest

    Rod Speed wrote:
    > Toolman Tim <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate
    >>> it but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives
    >>> delivered and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP
    >>> activation?

    >> Shouldn't - I swap data drives in and out of my system regularly.
    >> Specifically, when someone brings me a drive with the OS so buggered
    >> it won't run, I plug it into my system, backup the data, then pull it
    >> out and return it to the original system. I do that as often as
    >> several times a month.

    > Its easier to image it over the lan using True Image
    > booted from CD on the buggered system.

    Maybe, if I had a copy of True Image. Never needed it, so never bought it.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 22, 2006
  17. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate it
    > but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives delivered
    > and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP activation?

    May, may not. In any case it doesnt matter as you can call MS for a free
    fix.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 22, 2006
  18. On 21 Aug 2006 21:49:09 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> scribbled:

    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate it
    >> but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives delivered
    >> and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP activation?

    >May, may not. In any case it doesnt matter as you can call MS for a free
    >fix.

    Photoshop will want to be re-activated.

    Alpine Wintergreen, Aug 22, 2006
  19. burris Guest

    Rod Speed wrote:
    > Toolman Tim <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate
    >>> it but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives
    >>> delivered and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP
    >>> activation?

    >> Shouldn't - I swap data drives in and out of my system regularly.
    >> Specifically, when someone brings me a drive with the OS so buggered
    >> it won't run, I plug it into my system, backup the data, then pull it
    >> out and return it to the original system. I do that as often as
    >> several times a month.

    > Its easier to image it over the lan using True Image
    > booted from CD on the buggered system.

    I have found that with the second HDD scenario, if you do a real "clone"
    backup on that drive and set up a dual boot, you can boot from either
    drive at will and no problems will occur. This practice has saved me
    numerous times when for whatever reason the main HDD wouldn't boot up.

    I've been doing this for many years now.

    burris, Aug 22, 2006
  20. Howdy!

    "Margolotta" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:18:18 +0100, wrote
    > (in article <>):

    > > Changing three pieces of hardware requires a reactivation (the cpu
    > > counts as two) there are exceptions.
    > >
    > > As mention'd stick the HD in first then install XP, you start with
    > > three hardware changes still available.
    > > http://www.licenturion.com/xp/fully-licensed-wpa.txt

    > Er, no, the CPU does NOT count as two - a NIC does.

    Let's see.

    double word | offset | length | bit-field value based on

    H2 | 3 | 6 | CPU serial number string

    H2 | 25 | 3 | processor model string

    Looks like 2 to me. But eh. What do I know?

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Aug 23, 2006