    Asus P5W DH , Q6600 Quad core 2.4ghz @3.12, thermalake V1 heatsink, 4gb
    Crucial ballistix 800mhz , 16gb Mtron 6000 SSD, 150gb Raptor X, Nvidia
    8800gt , 700 watt OCZ GameXStream power s , XP Pro X64

    Power Obsessed, Mar 26, 2008

  2. Can't say if this applies, but here's a short review that mentions sort of a
    bottleneck in Intel Chipsets that affects HD-Tach and HD-Tune, but with
    little real life impact - if I got it right?

    http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3167

    Tony. . .

    "Power Obsessed" <> wrote in message
    > I recently purchased a Mtron SSD and was surprised when I benchmarked it

    that
    > it didn't perform as advertised. (they claim 80mb/sec I got 72mb/sec).
    > Someone who saw my benchmark said that if I switch the bios to ACHI it

    would

    Tony Sperling, Mar 26, 2008

  3. Power Obsessed

    John Adams Guest

    You probably can't just enable AHCI after Windows is already installed.

    You may have to do a repair install (don't know for sure on this), or a
    complete reinstall to get it to work.

    I'm using AHCI on my system, but I set it up before I installed Windows.

    - John

    John Adams, Mar 26, 2008
  4. Power Obsessed

    Carlos Guest

    John,
    I actually did it that way (after Windows was installed) in my notebook.
    I "updated" the driver with the AHCI one via Device Manager and the "Have
    Disk..." thing, and disregarding Windows complaints.
    I then rebooted, went to BIOS setup, activated the AHCI feature, saved
    changes, and let Vista "see" the new hardware and install the proper driver.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 26, 2008
  5. Well at least there is good news (that the benchmark software is at fault0.
    thanks for your reply

    Power Obsessed, Mar 26, 2008
  6. I am prepared to do that, I heard of different ways of doing it without but,
    the one way I tried didn't work. It makes things more difficult that I am
    running X64. the solution was for XP pro, I tried it anyway. Needless to say
    it didn't work. thanks for your input.

    Power Obsessed, Mar 26, 2008
  7. How did you do that? Do you copy the file from the O.S. CD? where is it at? I
    tried to do it through device manager and it said it cannot update because
    the one I have is newer or better.

    Power Obsessed, Mar 26, 2008
  8. Here's what the Wiki has to say - this should be usefull:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_Interface

    Tony Sperling, Mar 26, 2008
  9. I saw that somewhere else, looked in my registry it doesn't have the last
    part---HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci---(from
    the knowledge base article). I see that is for vista and more importantly it
    probably is the 32bit version. Thanks,
    Jim P.S. maybe I should check out the server knowledge
    based articles XP X64 is based on that O.S.

    Power Obsessed, Mar 26, 2008
  10. Power Obsessed

    Carlos Guest

    I used intel AHCI driver for my laptop motherboard chipset.
    After clicking on "Have disk" I pointed to the *.inf file and forced the
    install in spite of what Vista was telling me.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 26, 2008
  11. Power Obsessed

    John E Guest

    >I recently purchased a Mtron SSD and was surprised when I benchmarked it
    >that
    > it didn't perform as advertised. (they claim 80mb/sec I got 72mb/sec).
    > Someone who saw my benchmark said that if I switch the bios to ACHI it
    > would
    > boost it by about 20gb/sec. I tried and kept getting an error screen (Blue
    > screen). Is this true about the improved performance and if so how do I
    > enable the ACHI?
    > --

    I'm addressing your subject line, and not the issue of how to get it to
    work - where I see you have already had several responses.

    I have set up my Asus (Maximus Formula) motherboard to use either AHCI
    (using Intel matrix drivers) or Sata configured as IDE. I have found that
    Sata configured as IDE works a lot faster - mainly because neither my
    Samsung Spinpoint SATA II drive nor my older Seagate Barracuda drive will
    support 'enhanced support' within the windows driver policy window. i.e.
    they are not cached by windows. Benchmarking shows significantly faster disk
    operations: sequential read; sequential write AND random read/write access
    using Sata configured as IDE. This is even more true of Vista SP1.

    It is true that AHCI supports NCQ and hot-swapping, but what I want from my
    hard drives is performance, and I get better performance from Sata
    configured as IDE than I do from Sata configured as AHCI.

    John

    John E, Mar 26, 2008
  12. Thank for filling me in because I have been going through all kinds of
    problems trying to get this thing to even recognize the primary drive when I
    change the bios to AHCI. Of course I am ALL about performance so I will just
    leave it as is. Thanks again,
    Jim

    Power Obsessed, Mar 26, 2008
  13. Power Obsessed

    Greg R Guest

    Vista should have already had the drives to support AHCI natively. The OP
    has Windows XP Pro 64 listed in his sig so I think that is the OS he is
    trying to get it to work in. On my Windows XP computers that support AHCI
    I've installed the driver after OS installation using the same method Carlos
    listed for you.

    Greg R, Mar 26, 2008