Does a ROUTER need to be physically hooked up to a PC?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by LEESA, Dec 7, 2009.

  1. LEESA

    LEESA Guest

    OK.. here goes. I am thinking of getting cable internet service for
    the home and am also thinking about getting a NETBOOK.

    Now... Most people that I know that have cable internet access have a
    desktop PC and also a cable modem hooked up to it.

    If I were to get cable, would I need another PC to hookup the cable
    modem, router etc... for me to be able to use a Netbook anywhere in
    the house?

    In other words... Could I just have the cable come into a cable modem
    and wireless router without the works being physically hooked up to a
    computer? Or would I need some kind of main PC in addition to a
    netbook to kind of "manage" the wireless system?

    I hope this makes some kinda sense.... LOL

    Thanks in advance

    LEESA (I)

    LEESA, Dec 7, 2009

  2. LEESA

    PeeCee Guest

    "LEESA" <> wrote in message
    > OK.. here goes. I am thinking of getting cable internet service for
    > the home and am also thinking about getting a NETBOOK.
    >
    > Now... Most people that I know that have cable internet access have a
    > desktop PC and also a cable modem hooked up to it.
    >
    > If I were to get cable, would I need another PC to hookup the cable
    > modem, router etc... for me to be able to use a Netbook anywhere in
    > the house?
    >
    > In other words... Could I just have the cable come into a cable modem
    > and wireless router without the works being physically hooked up to a
    > computer? Or would I need some kind of main PC in addition to a
    > netbook to kind of "manage" the wireless system?
    >
    > I hope this makes some kinda sense.... LOL
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > LEESA (I)

    Leesa

    You will only need one PC (or Netbook)

    You will need to connect your Netbook to the cable modem/Wireless router by
    wire when you 'first' set it up.
    There is often a 1 metre Cat 5 cable in the modem/router box you can use for
    this.
    Once your cable modem / Wireless Router combo is all set up and you can
    access it wirelessly with the Netbook then you can disconnect the wired
    connection permanently.

    Note if (when?) your cable modem/ wireless router does spit the dummy and
    stop working you will probably need to dig the wired connection out again to
    repair the settings.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Dec 7, 2009

  3. LEESA

    Mike Easter Guest

    LEESA wrote:
    > OK.. here goes. I am thinking of getting cable internet service for
    > the home and am also thinking about getting a NETBOOK.
    >
    > Now... Most people that I know that have cable internet access have a
    > desktop PC and also a cable modem hooked up to it.
    >
    > If I were to get cable, would I need another PC to hookup the cable
    > modem, router etc... for me to be able to use a Netbook anywhere in
    > the house?
    >
    > In other words... Could I just have the cable come into a cable modem
    > and wireless router without the works being physically hooked up to a
    > computer? Or would I need some kind of main PC in addition to a
    > netbook to kind of "manage" the wireless system?

    It is generally recommended that the initial stages of setting up the
    router be done with a computer, netbook or otherwise, ethernet wired to
    the router. After the setup is accomplished and the wireless security
    is configured, your network can consist of your cable modem, the
    wireless router, and the wireless netbook.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 7, 2009
  4. LEESA

    totfit Guest

    On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 02:05:23 -0800 (PST), LEESA
    <> wrote:

    >OK.. here goes. I am thinking of getting cable internet service for
    >the home and am also thinking about getting a NETBOOK.
    >
    >Now... Most people that I know that have cable internet access have a
    >desktop PC and also a cable modem hooked up to it.
    >
    >If I were to get cable, would I need another PC to hookup the cable
    >modem, router etc... for me to be able to use a Netbook anywhere in
    >the house?
    >
    >In other words... Could I just have the cable come into a cable modem
    >and wireless router without the works being physically hooked up to a
    >computer? Or would I need some kind of main PC in addition to a
    >netbook to kind of "manage" the wireless system?
    >
    >I hope this makes some kinda sense.... LOL
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >LEESA (I)

    You do not need a PC. You go Cable to Cable Moden, then patch cable to
    router. Most wireless routers also have network ports so that you can
    then use multiple wired or wireless connections. Nothing at all has to
    be physically connected to the router other than the network patch
    cable coming from the cable modem.

    Gregg

    totfit, Dec 7, 2009
  5. LEESA

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 02:05:23 -0800 (PST), LEESA wrote:

    > OK.. here goes. I am thinking of getting cable internet service for
    > the home and am also thinking about getting a NETBOOK.
    >
    > Now... Most people that I know that have cable internet access have a
    > desktop PC and also a cable modem hooked up to it.
    >
    > If I were to get cable, would I need another PC to hookup the cable
    > modem, router etc... for me to be able to use a Netbook anywhere in
    > the house?
    >
    > In other words... Could I just have the cable come into a cable modem
    > and wireless router without the works being physically hooked up to a
    > computer? Or would I need some kind of main PC in addition to a
    > netbook to kind of "manage" the wireless system?
    >
    > I hope this makes some kinda sense.... LOL
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > LEESA (I)

    Buy a real machine. These "netbooks" are almost identical to what Tandy
    [radio shack] sold as the first laptops.
    I think they're more designed for students rather than general use.

    richard, Dec 7, 2009
  6. On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 04:25:06 -0700, richard <> wrote:

    >Buy a real machine. These "netbooks" are almost identical to what Tandy
    >[radio shack] sold as the first laptops.
    >I think they're more designed for students rather than general use.

    They are designed to be a bit more portable than laptops. Almost a
    pocket PC for those with big pockets!

    Steve

    Stephen Wolstenholme, Dec 7, 2009
  7. LEESA

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-12-07, Grinder <> wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    >> On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 02:05:23 -0800 (PST), LEESA wrote:

    [...]

    >> Buy a real machine. These "netbooks" are almost identical to what Tandy
    >> [radio shack] sold as the first laptops.
    >> I think they're more designed for students rather than general use.

    > I would agree that their popularity seems at odds with their niche
    > application, but there's one factor that's often overlooked in their
    > assessment: battery life. Having 4-5 hours of use between charges is a
    > significant improvement over "real" notebooks.

    Size and weight are major considerations too; a 'netbook' or
    'sub-notebook' easily fits into a satchel or shopping-bag or large
    hand-bag, or even a 'poacher's pocket' in an overcoat, and without
    stretching your arm or bending your back. Until you take it out to use
    it, the thing is effectively invisible. If all you want is 'messaging'
    and a little light web-browsing, why carry anything larger?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Dec 7, 2009
  8. LEESA

    thanatoid Guest

    LEESA <> wrote in
    oups.com:

    > OK.. here goes. I am thinking of getting cable internet
    > service for the home and am also thinking about getting a
    > NETBOOK.

    <SNIP>

    While I personally hate laptops like poison, mainly because of
    their idiotically small and lacking the number pad etc. and
    adding (at best) an F key to the way too many "special" keys
    already there, I also believe in free choice - which has of
    course not stopped me from telling people exactly HOW to do
    things or they'll be sorry ;-)

    Anyway... There's NOTHING wrong with netbooks. They are about
    ten thousand times more powerful than what helped us get to the
    moon and certainly more than enough for anything an average
    person would need to do. In fact, I have seen specs of a few
    which far surpass what just 5 or 6 years ago was considered
    "super-professional graphics and video use".

    And the cable from the router will plug into the network jack on
    the netbook like into any other machine.

    Have fun, but make sure you don't spill anything onto that
    keyboard! It MAY survive, but if you kill it, it will cost you
    more to replace it than a desktop computer would.

    --
    Deep in the night
    Flying very strange cargo

    Gliding so far
    That the eye cannot follow
    Where do they go
    We'll never know...

    (B.F.)

    thanatoid, Dec 8, 2009
  9. LEESA

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 02:05:23 -0800 (PST), LEESA wrote:
    >
    >> OK.. here goes. I am thinking of getting cable internet service for
    >> the home and am also thinking about getting a NETBOOK.
    >>
    >> Now... Most people that I know that have cable internet access have a
    >> desktop PC and also a cable modem hooked up to it.
    >>
    >> If I were to get cable, would I need another PC to hookup the cable
    >> modem, router etc... for me to be able to use a Netbook anywhere in
    >> the house?
    >>
    >> In other words... Could I just have the cable come into a cable modem
    >> and wireless router without the works being physically hooked up to a
    >> computer? Or would I need some kind of main PC in addition to a
    >> netbook to kind of "manage" the wireless system?
    >>
    >> I hope this makes some kinda sense.... LOL
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> LEESA (I)

    > Buy a real machine. These "netbooks" are almost identical to what Tandy
    > [radio shack] sold as the first laptops.
    > I think they're more designed for students rather than general use.

    What utter bollocks.

    I have at home, 3 PCs and two laptops. I use a netbook as it is handy
    for use on the train and I use it when I'm doing sound systems as a
    great source for music. I'd hate to have to lug a laptop or PC on a
    train and I'm not a student.

    It's called using the right tool for the job......

    Desk Rabbit, Dec 8, 2009