Does a DSL USB modem serve as a hardware firewall?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jimmy Dean, Oct 13, 2004.

  1. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    Or is that only provided by a DSL router modem?

    thanx
    jd
    Jimmy Dean, Oct 13, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Wed,
    13 Oct 2004 11:47:29 +1000, Jimmy Dean <> screamed
    from behind the mulberry bush:

    >Or is that only provided by a DSL router modem?


    I hear some DSL companies provide a firewall with the service but I
    don't think it's a hardware one installed with the router. Your best
    bet would to be to talk to a CSR from the ISP providing the service.

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor
    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Oct 13, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jimmy Dean

    PuppyKatt Guest

    "Jimmy Dean" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    : Or is that only provided by a DSL router modem?
    :
    : thanx
    : jd

    My ISP told me to get rid of Zone Alarm, because it conflicted with
    their firewall. Dad and I use a router so that we can both go on-line
    at the same time. Acording to the manual and their website, there is a
    Hardware firewall. According to Steve Gibson's site, as well as McAfee
    AV, when I turn off the Windows XP firewall, I have no protection. Go
    figure.
    PuppyKatt, Oct 13, 2004
    #3
  4. Jimmy Dean

    Vinod Guest

    Most DSL modems do not have a firewall, they may run NAT. Alot of ISPs
    say this is a firewall, however this is not a true firewall. Any true
    ISP should not be scared of Zonealarm, any ISP that says that you should
    disable a local firewall on your machines because it will causes
    problems with their "firewall" has serious issues with their customer
    support.

    The problem with their customer support simply lies in their laziness or
    incompetencein troubleshooting zonealarm because its so complex....(lol)

    But I would definetly recommend zone alarm.

    I dont think the USB DSL modem would be using NAT..

    If you have a 192.168 ip address then you are running NAT,and it is
    almost a firewall, but i would say you still need a local firewall such
    as zone alarm.


    PuppyKatt wrote:
    > "Jimmy Dean" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > : Or is that only provided by a DSL router modem?
    > :
    > : thanx
    > : jd
    >
    > My ISP told me to get rid of Zone Alarm, because it conflicted with
    > their firewall. Dad and I use a router so that we can both go on-line
    > at the same time. Acording to the manual and their website, there is a
    > Hardware firewall. According to Steve Gibson's site, as well as McAfee
    > AV, when I turn off the Windows XP firewall, I have no protection. Go
    > figure.
    >
    >
    Vinod, Oct 13, 2004
    #4
  5. >Or is that only provided by a DSL router >modem?

    I would say the best combo is hardware firewall and personal firewall. This
    can be done for $50 or less if you know what you are doing. $20 buys the
    Pentium II, Smoothwall firewall is free, nics are $10, and Outpost firewall is
    free. You could also use software from 602 software or Microtik if you hate
    linux.

    A linksys can be had for $50 too.

    Basically a NAT router (which was built-in to my modem) gives some protection.
    But an SPI firewall is slightly better. SPI firewall plus personal firewall
    like Outpost is much better.

    michael
    SchroedingerzKat, Oct 13, 2004
    #5

  6. >But I would definetly recommend zone >alarm.


    i'd agree. the NAT router or SPI firewall gives inbound protection. the zone
    alarm gives outbound protection plus inbound protection from other machines on
    the LAN.

    >
    >I dont think the USB DSL modem would >be using NAT..
    >


    my DSL modem had three modes and had a NAT router too. the modes:
    1. IP passthrough (no NAT)
    2. NAT with private address space (best)
    3. bridged ethernet (needs PPPoE)

    Basically NAT and a private address space works great. Better yet, do the
    bridged ethernet and add a Linksys or other firewall (or even a linux box that
    firewalls, does PPPoE, mail serving, virus scanning).

    >If you have a 192.168 ip address then you >are running NAT


    NAT yes. But the private address can have 1 to 1 correlation with the public
    address. that a nightmare waiting to happen but most routers will be
    many-to-one NAT.

    >,and it is
    >almost a firewall, but i would say you still >need a local firewall such
    >as zone alarm.
    >


    Certainly. The linksys or router will block some of the bad traffic inbound,
    and may even filter it for common protocols. The Zone Alarm (i like outpost
    better) will filter inbound and outbound to a degree that can only be achieved
    with an expensive hardware firewall.

    basically NAT router OK, firewall good, 2 firewalls much better. use an
    antivirus package that's memory resident and you're home free.

    michael

    >
    >PuppyKatt wrote:
    >> "Jimmy Dean" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >> : Or is that only provided by a DSL router modem?
    >> :
    >> : thanx
    >> : jd
    >>
    >> My ISP told me to get rid of Zone Alarm, because it conflicted with
    >> their firewall. Dad and I use a router so that we can both go on-line
    >> at the same time. Acording to the manual and their website, there is a
    >> Hardware firewall. According to Steve Gibson's site, as well as McAfee
    >> AV, when I turn off the Windows XP firewall, I have no protection. Go
    >> figure.
    >>
    >>

    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    SchroedingerzKat, Oct 13, 2004
    #6
  7. Jimmy Dean

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:47:29 +1000, Jimmy Dean <> wrote:

    >Or is that only provided by a DSL router modem?


    Only a router.

    >thanks
    >jd



    -Barry
    ========
    Web page: http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    Atheist, radio scanner, LIPD information.
    Barry OGrady, Oct 13, 2004
    #7
  8. Jimmy Dean

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:36:24 -0500, Vinod <> wrote:

    >Most DSL modems do not have a firewall, they may run NAT. Alot of ISPs


    You say that very few say that is a firewall? How few?


    >say this is a firewall, however this is not a true firewall. Any true
    >ISP should not be scared of Zonealarm, any ISP that says that you should
    > disable a local firewall on your machines because it will causes
    >problems with their "firewall" has serious issues with their customer
    >support.
    >
    >The problem with their customer support simply lies in their laziness or
    >incompetencein troubleshooting zonealarm because its so complex....(lol)
    >
    >But I would definetly recommend zone alarm.
    >
    >I dont think the USB DSL modem would be using NAT..
    >
    >If you have a 192.168 ip address then you are running NAT,and it is
    >almost a firewall, but i would say you still need a local firewall such
    >as zone alarm.
    >
    >
    >PuppyKatt wrote:
    >> "Jimmy Dean" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >> : Or is that only provided by a DSL router modem?
    >> :
    >> : thanx
    >> : jd
    >>
    >> My ISP told me to get rid of Zone Alarm, because it conflicted with
    >> their firewall. Dad and I use a router so that we can both go on-line
    >> at the same time. Acording to the manual and their website, there is a
    >> Hardware firewall. According to Steve Gibson's site, as well as McAfee
    >> AV, when I turn off the Windows XP firewall, I have no protection. Go
    >> figure.
    >>
    >>



    -Barry
    ========
    Web page: http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    Atheist, radio scanner, LIPD information.
    Barry OGrady, Oct 13, 2004
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?U3ViWE8=?=

    Cannot get my computer to serve a shared folder

    =?Utf-8?B?U3ViWE8=?=, Aug 30, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    461
    =?Utf-8?B?U3ViWE8=?=
    Aug 30, 2005
  2. Joe Lee

    Google hijacked by "I want to serve"

    Joe Lee, Nov 9, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    402
    Joe Lee
    Nov 17, 2004
  3. baaa
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    6,328
    pengulin
    Mar 8, 2005
  4. roberthob

    an Intel PRO/DSL 2100 or Intel PRO/DSL 2200 Modem

    roberthob, Sep 25, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,567
    roberthob
    Sep 25, 2005
  5. LuluDev
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    417
Loading...

Share This Page