    I know that Cisco does not enable the use of Subnet Zero by default...

    Thank you for any help you can offer,
    Troy

    Mr Troy, Jan 1, 2008

  2. "Mr Troy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm studying for this exam and I'm using CBT Nuggets. They had an
    > Exercise
    > on figuring out subnet masks, ip ranges, etc. for ip addresses.
    >
    > In their exercises, they took into account using "subnet zero."
    >
    > Could you please let me know if they ask you ip ranges in the exam and if
    > so, do they say "take into account subnet zero?"
    >
    > I know that Cisco does not enable the use of Subnet Zero by default...

    I can't really comment on what specifically is asked in the exam (because
    [a] I don't know -- I've taken the 70-293, not the 70-291, but even if I
    had, commenting directly on specific question text is a violation of the
    NDA), but the MSPress TK is written, and does drill, as if the first and
    last subnets are fully usable.

    In the ancient days of IP subnetting it was not acceptable to use the first
    and last subnets -- I don't know the exact reason -- but it might have
    something to do with the software "assuming" that the .0 subnet was a
    *network* identifier (and not a possible subnet identifier), or that the
    ..255 address was always the network broadcast address.

    It was actually (IIRC) Microsoft who first started allowing the use of the
    first and last subnets as legal subnets.

    Today, short of some legacy router software, most everything permits the use
    of the first and last subnets. I would expect the exam questions to be
    written with that consideration in mind. This can easily be verified in the
    study guides by looking at the basic subnet charts in the start of the
    subnetting lessons, and see how many subnets are reported as available in
    the /29, /30, /31, etc. masks.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCBMSP, MCTS, MCP

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin, Jan 2, 2008

  3. Mr Troy

    Mr Troy Guest