does 5505 come w/ pw, cables, license

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Ender, Mar 18, 2008.

  1. Ender

    Ender Guest

    Hi,

    I'm wanting to buy the Cisco 5505 but, I'm not sure if these two links
    means the device comes w/ the power supply and cables, license, etc...

    I just want to put this in my home and I'm the only user. I figure w/
    these two outlets, I shouldn't be getting a clone and get the real
    thing.

    At least one of these links seems to suggest that the accessories are
    extra (i.e. power supplies, license, etc...).

    At CDW ...
    http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/specs.aspx?EDC=1065037&cm_sp=Product-_-Specs-_-Main Tab

    At

    Amazon ...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1K560W5G62WAPX7Y0JHR

    When

    buying the device, does all the cabling and power supply come with it?
    Ender, Mar 18, 2008

  2. Ender

    Brian V Guest

    "Ender" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm wanting to buy the Cisco 5505 but, I'm not sure if these two links
    > means the device comes w/ the power supply and cables, license, etc...
    >
    > I just want to put this in my home and I'm the only user. I figure w/
    > these two outlets, I shouldn't be getting a clone and get the real thing.
    >
    > At least one of these links seems to suggest that the accessories are
    > extra (i.e. power supplies, license, etc...).
    >
    > At CDW ...
    > http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/specs.aspx?EDC=1065037&cm_sp=Product-_-Specs-_-Main Tab
    >
    > At
    > Amazon ...
    > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1K560W5G62WAPX7Y0JHR
    >
    > When
    > buying the device, does all the cabling and power supply come with it?

    Excellent choice! Yes, they both come with everything you need. Only
    additional thing you might consider is Smartnet for it. That gives you full
    access to Cisco tech support for any config issues and a hardware warranty
    should it ever fail.
    Brian V, Mar 18, 2008

  3. Ender

    Ender Guest

    > Excellent choice! Yes, they both come with everything you need. Only
    > additional thing you might consider is Smartnet for it. That gives you
    > full access to Cisco tech support for any config issues and a hardware
    > warranty should it ever fail.

    I don't understand, you mean Cisco doesn't give a standard one year
    warranty on their hardware and to get this I have to pay the minimum
    $76 fee for a warranty to get a replacement?
    Ender, Mar 19, 2008
  4. In article <2008031902021716807-noreply@mailinvalid>,
    Ender <> wrote:

    >> Excellent choice! Yes, they both come with everything you need. Only
    >> additional thing you might consider is Smartnet for it. That gives you
    >> full access to Cisco tech support for any config issues and a hardware
    >> warranty should it ever fail.

    >I don't understand, you mean Cisco doesn't give a standard one year
    >warranty on their hardware and to get this I have to pay the minimum
    >$76 fee for a warranty to get a replacement?

    It might depend upon the exact model of ASA, but when I last
    looked, ASA warantees were generally 90 days. Also, smartnet is
    (usually) hardware and software support (including incident
    resolution as well as software upgrades).
    Walter Roberson, Mar 19, 2008
  5. Ender <> writes:
    >> Excellent choice! Yes, they both come with everything you need. Only
    >> additional thing you might consider is Smartnet for it. That gives you
    >> full access to Cisco tech support for any config issues and a hardware
    >> warranty should it ever fail.

    >I don't understand, you mean Cisco doesn't give a standard one year
    >warranty on their hardware and to get this I have to pay the minimum
    >$76 fee for a warranty to get a replacement?

    That box has a 1 year warranty on hardware. Other cisco gear has an IT
    industry standard 90-day warranty, or limited original purchaser
    lifetime warranty. They are all different for the various lines, make
    sure to read it to make sure what you would get.

    You don't get software upgrades without maintenance though.
    (again, fairly standard in the IT gear world).

    Boxes aimed at consumers tend to get stronger support options than
    boxes aimed more for IT types..
    Doug McIntyre, Mar 19, 2008
  6. Ender

    Ender Guest

    > That box has a 1 year warranty on hardware. Other cisco gear has an IT
    > industry standard 90-day warranty, or limited original purchaser
    > lifetime warranty. They are all different for the various lines, make
    > sure to read it to make sure what you would get.
    >
    > You don't get software upgrades without maintenance though.
    > (again, fairly standard in the IT gear world).
    >
    > Boxes aimed at consumers tend to get stronger support options than
    > boxes aimed more for IT types..

    So, Amazon has a 1yr ext. for smartnet. Can this be renewed at the end
    of 1 yr so that I can always keep the latest firmware updates, or are
    we talking about managing software?

    My goal is to keep the latest firmware and do the configuring by the
    CLI since I'm also studying for my CCNA.

    Would you recommend I not get the smartnet for that or is it still a
    recommened thing to get?

    Thanks all for the replies.
    Ender, Mar 20, 2008
  7. Ender <> writes:
    >So, Amazon has a 1yr ext. for smartnet. Can this be renewed at the end
    >of 1 yr so that I can always keep the latest firmware updates, or are
    >we talking about managing software?

    Yes, you can keep renewing smartnet at the end of each year so that
    you can keep the box on hardware and software maintenance.
    With smartnet at all levels, it is advanced hardware replace, so you
    don't have to send it back, wait for them to fix it, and send it back
    to you, you just get it sent on the schedule for whatever response
    time you buy.

    For the software, having a current smartnet up to date on your CCO
    account will let you keep download software updates so you can upgrade
    the box as long as it will go. Since the ASA5505 is fairly new, that
    should be awhile, since they just retired the PIXs.

    >My goal is to keep the latest firmware and do the configuring by the
    >CLI since I'm also studying for my CCNA.

    Sure, although CCNA covers mostly routers and not so much firewalls
    from what I remember of it. The ASA CLI syntax gets closer to IOS, but
    its not IOS. If you go further on the security tracks though, you'd
    definately need hands on firewall using both the CLI and ADSM.

    >Would you recommend I not get the smartnet for that or is it still a
    >recommened thing to get?

    Its up to you. If you want to get software upgrades, then having it
    definately helps you out.
    At least its only $75/year, other vendors charge more for their entry
    level devices.
    Doug McIntyre, Mar 20, 2008
  8. Ender

    Merv Guest

    to OP,

    not sure why you would want to buy a 5505 as it is a CAT OS based
    switch

    If you are studying for Cisco certification, I would think that you
    would want to acquire a suitable IOS-based switch
    Merv, Mar 20, 2008
  9. In article <>,
    Merv <> wrote:
    >to OP,

    >not sure why you would want to buy a 5505 as it is a CAT OS based
    >switch

    The ASA5505 is Cisco's entry level firewall appliance, roughly
    equivilent to the PIX 501.
    Walter Roberson, Mar 20, 2008
  10. Ender

    Merv Guest

    On Mar 20, 10:00 am, (Walter Roberson) wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > Merv <> wrote:
    > >to OP,
    > >not sure why you would want to buy a 5505 as it is a CAT OS based
    > >switch

    > The ASA5505 is Cisco's entry level firewall appliance, roughly
    > equivilent to the PIX 501.

    ahhh 5505 not 5000; really should have had my coffee first ;-))
    Merv, Mar 20, 2008
  11. Ender

    Guest

    On 20 Mar, 16:49, Merv <> wrote:
    > On Mar 20, 10:00 am, (Walter Roberson) wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,

    > > Merv  <> wrote:
    > > >to OP,
    > > >not sure why you would want to buy a 5505 as it is a CAT OS based
    > > >switch

    > > The ASA5505 is Cisco's entry level firewall appliance, roughly
    > > equivilent to the PIX 501.

    > ahhh   5505 not 5000; really should have had my coffee first  ;-))

    I thought the same.

    There was a Cat 5505. Weird for cisco to re-use the numbers.
    Very confusing.

    I was just about to suggest that the cost of electricity for
    a cat 5505 may make it an expensive toy when
    something made me look it up.

    Years ago I had the opportunity to take home an unwanted
    Apollo workstation - seemed a fine idea until I noticed that
    it needed about 3kw and since it took half an hour to boot
    turning it on when it was wanted was not really much of an option.
    , Mar 20, 2008