    using the special digital lenses (EF-S)?

    Thanks
    Musty.

    Musty, Sep 5, 2004

  2. "Musty" <> writes:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > A quick question. I am currently camera-less (sold my Oly C5050) and was
    > planning to go the Nikon D70 until I saw the Canon 20D. I know that the
    > Canon 10D has the 1.6x mag factor issue (and I like wide angle shooting
    > mostly). Does the 20D have the same issue? If so, does the issue go away by
    > using the special digital lenses (EF-S)?

    Yes, the 20D has a 1.6 magnification factor. Canon just recently announced a
    10-22mm EF-S lens (16-35mm equivalent) that will work on the 300D/digital rebel
    and the 20D. Note, this lens will not work on the other Canon cameras, so if
    you plan to upgrade at some point to the 1D-mark2 or 1Ds, you will need to get
    another lens. I have no idea what the lens quality is, generally for the
    18-55mm lens, you generally hear the words "starter lens".

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Sep 5, 2004

  3. yes. the sensor size is 22.5 x 15mm resulting in about 1.6 times
    'magnification' vs 35mm format.
    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos20d/page2.asp

    Christopher Muto, Sep 5, 2004
  4. "Musty" <> wrote in

    > A quick question. I am currently camera-less (sold my Oly C5050) and
    > was planning to go the Nikon D70 until I saw the Canon 20D. I know
    > that the Canon 10D has the 1.6x mag factor issue (and I like wide
    > angle shooting mostly). Does the 20D have the same issue?

    Yes.

    > If so, does
    > the issue go away by using the special digital lenses (EF-S)?

    Yes.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Sep 5, 2004
  5. In article <Xns955BECC3D4F03klotjohan@130.133.1.4>,
    says...
    > "Musty" <> wrote in
    >
    > > A quick question. I am currently camera-less (sold my Oly C5050) and
    > > was planning to go the Nikon D70 until I saw the Canon 20D. I know
    > > that the Canon 10D has the 1.6x mag factor issue (and I like wide
    > > angle shooting mostly). Does the 20D have the same issue?

    > Yes.
    >
    > > If so, does
    > > the issue go away by using the special digital lenses (EF-S)?

    > Yes.

    Or no, depending on what you mean :)
    An 18-55 EF-S lens must still have the 1.6 factor applied, the
    same as any other lens. But Canon seem to be providing shorter
    focal lengths to compensate (e.g. the 10-22, giving a field of
    view equivalent to 16-35 on 35mm).

    Graeme Cogger, Sep 5, 2004
  6. "Musty" <> writes:
    > I know that the Canon 10D has the 1.6x mag factor issue (and I like
    > wide angle shooting mostly). Does the 20D have the same issue?

    Yes.

    > If so, does the issue go away by using the special digital lenses
    > (EF-S)?

    No. But EF-S lenses are wider.
    The new EF-S 10-22mm gives you 16-35mm equiv. FOV.

    Gisle Hannemyr, Sep 5, 2004
  7. Musty

    Musty Guest

    Thanks for all the feedback. I will have to choose my lens carefully. 17th
    street photo are advertising a "kit" with an 18-55mm lens (same as the one
    for the rebel). This lens does seem a bit "cheap". I am fairly set on the
    20D however (unless Nikon announce a D100 replacement of some sort).

    Musty, Sep 5, 2004
  8. Michael Meissner wrote:
    > Yes, the 20D has a 1.6 magnification factor. Canon just recently
    > announced
    > a 10-22mm EF-S lens (16-35mm equivalent) that will work on the
    > 300D/digital
    > rebel and the 20D.

    I will have to watch what happens with that lens. It might get me to
    buy a Rebel.

    After I see some results, or reliable evaluations. of both that and the
    usual longer kit lens.

    If they do a good job of designing the lens optimized for the sensor
    size, it might be worthwhile (a good match for the resolution of the
    sensor).

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Sep 6, 2004
  9. Joseph Meehan wrote:
    > Michael Meissner wrote:

    I just took a quick look at the D20. If the price of the Rebel does not
    drop a fair amount, I guess I will go for the D20.

    Anyone have the shutter delay comparison of those two handy?

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Sep 6, 2004
  10. Musty

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Roland Karlsson <> wrote:
    >"Musty" <> wrote in

    >> A quick question. I am currently camera-less (sold my Oly C5050) and
    >> was planning to go the Nikon D70 until I saw the Canon 20D. I know
    >> that the Canon 10D has the 1.6x mag factor issue (and I like wide
    >> angle shooting mostly). Does the 20D have the same issue?

    >Yes.

    >> If so, does
    >> the issue go away by using the special digital lenses (EF-S)?

    >Yes.

    No. This last is wrong. The focal length of a lens
    is a physical property of the lens and has nothing to
    do with what camera body it is attached to.

    That said, many people, including myself, think in terms
    of 35mm. To convert focal lengths to "35mm equivalents"
    you need to multiply the focal length by 1.6 (for a 20D).
    Thus a 20mm lens on a 20D will be roughly as "wide angle"
    as a 35mm lens on a 35mm film camera.

    ----- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Sep 6, 2004
  11. "Musty" <> writes:
    > I am fairly set on the 20D however (unless Nikon announce a D100
    > replacement of some sort).

    Well, there is at least a lot of talk on various borads about
    a 8.25 Mpx D200 that is scheduled to appear at Photokina.

    Nothing of substance tho' - but the D100 is getting pretty long
    in the tooth.

    Gisle Hannemyr, Sep 6, 2004
  12. Musty

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Musty <> wrote:
    >Thanks for all the feedback. I will have to choose my lens carefully. 17th
    >street photo are advertising a "kit" with an 18-55mm lens (same as the one
    >for the rebel). This lens does seem a bit "cheap". I am fairly set on the
    >20D however (unless Nikon announce a D100 replacement of some sort).

    17th Street photo? If that is supposed to be in New York I'd
    check very carefully. I for one have never heard of it.

    The 18-55 mm lens is, in my experience, quite good for the
    money. It is not the same as Canon L glass, but it isn't
    a bad lens either.

    Look at it this way. Why would Canon want to sell you
    a $1500 camera and then drive you away because they included
    a crappy lens with it? Canon wants you to buy from them over
    and over...

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Sep 6, 2004
  13. Musty

    Skip M Guest

    "Musty" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > A quick question. I am currently camera-less (sold my Oly C5050) and was
    > planning to go the Nikon D70 until I saw the Canon 20D. I know that the
    > Canon 10D has the 1.6x mag factor issue (and I like wide angle shooting
    > mostly). Does the 20D have the same issue? If so, does the issue go away

    by
    > using the special digital lenses (EF-S)?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Musty.

    Yes, and to a certain degree, yes. For instance the 17-85 f4-5.6 IS gives a
    FOV roughly equivalent to the Canon 28-135 f4-5.6 IS.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Sep 6, 2004
  14. Graeme Cogger <> wrote in news:413b88a8$0$20249
    $:

    >> > If so, does
    >> > the issue go away by using the special digital lenses (EF-S)?

    >> Yes.
    >>

    > Or no, depending on what you mean :)

    I mean that the new lenses are made for the smaller
    sensor and therefore is the problem with a too large
    lens gone.

    Of course - you still have got the 1.6 factor with regard
    to FOV for 35 mm lenses of the same focal length. But that
    is not an issue, it is only a property.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Sep 6, 2004
  15. Musty

    Mikey S. Guest

    I agree, the 18-55 lens that comes with the D rebel is very cheaply built,
    feels like a plastic toy, and looks like it cost about 2 cents compared to
    my L lenses, I was very unimpressed and almost gave it away. But I gave it a
    fair trial, and it is actually very sharp, works fine, and since it's so
    lightweight I sometimes use it when I an walking around with the camera on
    my neck, instead of my much heavier 17-40 L lens.

    --

    Mikey S.
    http://www.mike721.com

    Mikey S., Sep 6, 2004
  16. Musty

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Mikey S. <> wrote:
    >I agree, the 18-55 lens that comes with the D rebel is very cheaply built,
    >feels like a plastic toy, and looks like it cost about 2 cents compared to
    >my L lenses, I was very unimpressed and almost gave it away. But I gave it a
    >fair trial, and it is actually very sharp, works fine, and since it's so
    >lightweight I sometimes use it when I an walking around with the camera on
    >my neck, instead of my much heavier 17-40 L lens.

    >Mikey S.
    >http://www.mike721.com

    Yes. I find it fairly soft wide open but in the middle ranges
    it is rather nice.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Sep 8, 2004