dodgy nokia batteries

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Aug 14, 2007.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    thingy, Aug 14, 2007

  2. thingy

    Shane Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > Some batteries in Nokia;s could be an overheating issue....models 1100
    > and upwards....
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/14/nokia_overheating_battery/
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I have one :)
    The battery is a BL-5C. I am going to see about exchanging it on friday
    --
    Q: Who knows everything there is to be known about vector analysis?
    A: The Oracle of del phi!
    Shane, Aug 14, 2007

  3. thingy

    XPD Guest

    XPD, Aug 14, 2007
  4. thingy

    Shane Guest

    XPD wrote:

    > "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >> Some batteries in Nokia;s could be an overheating issue....models 1100
    >> and upwards....
    >>
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/14/nokia_overheating_battery/
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing
    >>

    > Pity Nokias serial number check they supply is faulty....
    >
    > https://www.nokia.com/batteryreplacement/en/
    >
    > Tried with IE and FF and once you hit submit it just takes you to the same
    > page.

    Works fine with FF on KUbuntu
    $ firefox -v
    Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6, Copyright (c) 1998 - 2007 mozilla.org
    --
    Q: What is the difference between a mathematician and a philosopher?
    A: The mathematician only needs paper, pencil, and a trash bin for his
    Shane, Aug 14, 2007
  5. thingy

    Mark Remfrey Guest

    Mark Remfrey, Aug 14, 2007
  6. thingy

    Jerry Guest

    Mark Remfrey wrote:
    > XPD wrote:
    >> "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >>> Some batteries in Nokia;s could be an overheating issue....models
    >>> 1100 and upwards....
    >>>
    >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/14/nokia_overheating_battery/
    >>>
    >>> regards
    >>>
    >>> Thing
    >>>

    >> Pity Nokias serial number check they supply is faulty....
    >>
    >> https://www.nokia.com/batteryreplacement/en/
    >>
    >> Tried with IE and FF and once you hit submit it just takes you to the
    >> same page.
    >>

    > Works fine here on both...

    And here, I've tried it on 3 batteries - none needed replacing
    Jerry, Aug 15, 2007
  7. thingy

    XPD Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message

    >>> Pity Nokias serial number check they supply is faulty....
    >>>
    >>> https://www.nokia.com/batteryreplacement/en/
    >>>
    >>> Tried with IE and FF and once you hit submit it just takes you to the
    >>> same page.
    >>>

    >> Works fine here on both...

    > And here, I've tried it on 3 batteries - none needed replacing

    What does it show when you hit submit ? Maybe either I tried it before it
    was fully implemented, or if the serial is fine it just takes you back to
    the same page ?
    Or does it actually show "Your battery is ok" or something...........
    XPD, Aug 15, 2007
  8. thingy

    Mark C Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in

    > What does it show when you hit submit ? Maybe either I tried it
    > before it was fully implemented, or if the serial is fine it
    > just takes you back to the same page ?
    > Or does it actually show "Your battery is ok" or
    > something...........

    Just keep resubmitting until you get a sensible message.

    I had to re-paste the battery serial number and Submit 6 or so times
    before I got a page that said my battery was eligible for
    replacement, and displayed fields for name and address.
    After that was an are-you-sure? page for my details and after that it
    went back to the start.
    NOT trusting it at this point, I re-pasted the serial number another
    3 times until I got the 'eligible' page (it saved my details for me),
    clicked to the details are-you-sure? page and THEN it finally
    displayed a page that said my details had been saved.

    My advice: If you submit a number and it redisplays the same page it
    has malfunctioned and you must try again and again.

    Mark
    Mark C, Aug 16, 2007
  9. thingy

    Jerry Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Jerry" <> wrote in message

    >>> Works fine here on both...

    >> And here, I've tried it on 3 batteries - none needed replacing
    >>

    > What does it show when you hit submit ? Maybe either I tried it before it
    > was fully implemented, or if the serial is fine it just takes you back to
    > the same page ?
    > Or does it actually show "Your battery is ok" or something...........

    There is a "your battery doesn't need replacing" sort of message.
    Apparently Shaun has seen the "your battery does need replacing"
    message, I haven't.
    Jerry, Aug 16, 2007
  10. thingy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > XPD wrote:
    > > "Jerry" <> wrote in message

    > > > And here, I've tried it on 3 batteries - none needed replacing
    > > >

    > > What does it show when you hit submit ? Maybe either I tried it
    > > before it was fully implemented, or if the serial is fine it just
    > > takes you back to the same page ?
    > > Or does it actually show "Your battery is ok" or
    > > something...........

    > There is a "your battery doesn't need replacing" sort of message.
    > Apparently Shaun has seen the "your battery does need replacing"
    > message, I haven't.

    Yes, the first serial I put in said it needed replacing and asked for
    physical address details etc. The second serial gave a different message. It
    didn't say that it *needed* replacing, it asked if I'd /like/ it replaced. I
    answered in the affirmative, clicked, and my details were already in the
    fields. Ticked and clicked again and I guess I'm waiting for the batteries.
    No re-submitting was needed.

    There was a note saying that, along with the replacements, I'd get
    instructions on how to send the old batteries back to Nokia or how to
    dispose of them safely.
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Aug 17, 2007
  11. thingy

    SupergoofNZ Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >> Some batteries in Nokia;s could be an overheating issue....models 1100 and
    >> upwards....
    >>
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/14/nokia_overheating_battery/
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing
    >>

    > Pity Nokias serial number check they supply is faulty....
    >
    > https://www.nokia.com/batteryreplacement/en/
    >
    > Tried with IE and FF and once you hit submit it just takes you to the same
    > page.

    I got the same problem the first time I submitted the form, but when I
    re-did it it seemed to work. Can't remember whether I was using IE7 or
    Firefox though.

    cheers
    Rachel
    SupergoofNZ, Aug 18, 2007
  12. thingy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    SupergoofNZ wrote:
    > XPD wrote:
    > > "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > > > Some batteries in Nokia;s could be an overheating issue....models
    > > > 1100 and upwards....
    > > >
    > > > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/14/nokia_overheating_battery/
    > > >
    > > > regards
    > > >
    > > > Thing
    > > >

    > > Pity Nokias serial number check they supply is faulty....
    > >
    > > https://www.nokia.com/batteryreplacement/en/
    > >
    > > Tried with IE and FF and once you hit submit it just takes you to
    > > the same page.
    > >

    > I got the same problem the first time I submitted the form, but when I
    > re-did it it seemed to work. Can't remember whether I was using IE7 or
    > Firefox though.
    >

    > cheers
    > Rachel

    Worked perfectly for me, first time and second time, using FF.
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Aug 19, 2007