    Should I get this replaced ASAP, or is it just a hiccup? Knowing my
    luck I suspect a lemon.
    , Aug 6, 2008

  2. impossible Guest

    "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> I've recently done an upgrade (board/CPU/RAM/GFX/Hard Drive), the
    >> drive is a Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB SATA.
    >> Started up this morning and click click click from the 3 day old hard
    >> drive! Tried again, same. 3rd time booted OK. Ran HD Sentinel and
    >> “Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no spin up
    >> or data transfer errors. “ Turned it on just now and another lot of 4
    >> clicks x 3, then boots ok.
    >> Should I get this replaced ASAP, or is it just a hiccup? Knowing my
    >> luck I suspect a lemon.

    > http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/

    Exactly. If SeaTools says your drive is faulty, you can RMA it with no
    hassle.
    impossible, Aug 6, 2008

  3. ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "" typed:
    > I've recently done an upgrade (board/CPU/RAM/GFX/Hard Drive), the
    > drive is a Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB SATA.
    > Started up this morning and click click click from the 3 day old hard
    > drive! Tried again, same. 3rd time booted OK. Ran HD Sentinel and
    > “Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no spin up
    > or data transfer errors. “ Turned it on just now and another lot of 4
    > clicks x 3, then boots ok.
    > Should I get this replaced ASAP, or is it just a hiccup? Knowing my
    > luck I suspect a lemon.

    Keep backups, Seagate have a 5 year warranty, it's bit early to be saying
    it's a lemon.

    My first thought is whether your PSU is sufficiently powerful as you don't
    list it with your upgraded components. I've seen many upgrades where the PSU
    is 'recycled' in a new system requiring more power (definition of 'upgrade'
    in this context no?) that have ended in tears.

    When does the clicking occur? Where does the bootup stop? Is there an error
    message?

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 6, 2008
  4. ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Richard" typed:
    > Mark Robinson wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> I've recently done an upgrade (board/CPU/RAM/GFX/Hard Drive), the
    >>> drive is a Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB SATA.
    >>> Started up this morning and click click click from the 3 day old
    >>> hard drive! Tried again, same. 3rd time booted OK. Ran HD Sentinel
    >>> and “Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no
    >>> spin up or data transfer errors. “ Turned it on just now and
    >>> another lot of 4 clicks x 3, then boots ok.
    >>> Should I get this replaced ASAP, or is it just a hiccup? Knowing my
    >>> luck I suspect a lemon.

    >> http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/

    > Mine was doing that when the PSU was on the way out, and you didnt
    > list that in what you have replaced.

    LOL, great minds. I should have hit "Sync All" before replying. <g>
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 6, 2008
  5. Guest

    On Aug 6, 2:18 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "" typed:
    >
    > > I've recently done an upgrade (board/CPU/RAM/GFX/Hard Drive), the
    > > drive is a Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB SATA.
    > > Started up this morning and click click click from the 3 day old hard
    > > drive! Tried again, same. 3rd time booted OK. Ran HD Sentinel and
    > > “Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no spin up
    > > or data transfer errors. “ Turned it on just now and another lot of 4
    > > clicks x 3, then boots ok.
    > > Should I get this replaced ASAP, or is it just a hiccup? Knowing my
    > > luck I suspect a lemon.

    > Keep backups, Seagate have a 5 year warranty, it's bit early to be saying
    > it's a lemon.
    >
    > My first thought is whether your PSU is sufficiently powerful as you don't
    > list it with your upgraded components. I've seen many upgrades where the PSU
    > is 'recycled' in a new system requiring more power (definition of 'upgrade'
    > in this context no?) that have ended in tears.

    Arrgh, knew I'd forgotten to list something. Yep, it's a new Acbel
    PC7005 "E2 Power 470"

    The board is an Asus P5K-E, and I noticed EATX12V socket is half
    covered with a cap. It mentions using "only either a 4-pin ATX12V
    (which I've plugged into the uncovered side) or an 8-pin EPS+12V
    plug". My PSU has another 4-pin - should I remove the cap and plug
    that in? Damn these new boards are confusing, I've not done a build
    since my Athlon 2500 5 years ago.

    > When does the clicking occur? Where does the bootup stop? Is there an error
    > message?

    Just after Post-ing, Sata device #1 not found or similar. It then
    tries to find another bootable device.
    The next time I booted it went through fine, so it's not doing it
    every time.
    Just working through the Seatools basic tests now, (all passed so far)
    up to the Long Generic.
    , Aug 6, 2008
  6. Bobs Guest

    On Aug 6, 11:36 am, wrote:
    > I've recently done an upgrade (board/CPU/RAM/GFX/Hard Drive), the
    > drive is a Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB SATA.
    > Started up this morning and click click click from the 3 day old hard
    > drive! Tried again, same. 3rd time booted OK. Ran HD Sentinel and
    > “Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no spin up
    > or data transfer errors. “ Turned it on just now and another lot of 4
    > clicks x 3, then boots ok.
    > Should I get this replaced ASAP, or is it just a hiccup? Knowing my
    > luck I suspect a lemon.

    Yeah, what others said. PSU seems quite likely. Could be the hard
    drive is not getting enough juice and keeps powering off.
    Bobs, Aug 6, 2008
  7. Bobs Guest

    On Aug 6, 3:27 pm, wrote:
    > On Aug 6, 2:18 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >

    > > Somewhere on teh intarweb "" typed:

    > > > I've recently done an upgrade (board/CPU/RAM/GFX/Hard Drive), the
    > > > drive is a Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB SATA.
    > > > Started up this morning and click click click from the 3 day old hard
    > > > drive! Tried again, same. 3rd time booted OK. Ran HD Sentinel and
    > > > “Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no spin up
    > > > or data transfer errors. “ Turned it on just now and another lot of 4
    > > > clicks x 3, then boots ok.
    > > > Should I get this replaced ASAP, or is it just a hiccup? Knowing my
    > > > luck I suspect a lemon.

    > > Keep backups, Seagate have a 5 year warranty, it's bit early to be saying
    > > it's a lemon.

    > > My first thought is whether your PSU is sufficiently powerful as you don't
    > > list it with your upgraded components. I've seen many upgrades where the PSU
    > > is 'recycled' in a new system requiring more power (definition of 'upgrade'
    > > in this context no?) that have ended in tears.

    > Arrgh, knew I'd forgotten to list something. Yep, it's a new Acbel
    > PC7005 "E2 Power 470"
    >
    > The board is an Asus P5K-E, and I noticed EATX12V socket is half
    > covered with a cap. It mentions using "only either a 4-pin ATX12V
    > (which I've plugged into the uncovered side) or an 8-pin EPS+12V
    > plug". My PSU has another 4-pin - should I remove the cap and plug
    > that in? Damn these new boards are confusing, I've not done a build
    > since my Athlon 2500 5 years ago.

    No, don't think so. EPS+12V was, I thought, mostly used for multi-
    socket motherboards. It's coverered for a reason. You should have a 24
    pin (20+4) as the main power socket and a secondary 4 pin 12V (which
    you've plugged in) for the CPU.

    Bobs, Aug 6, 2008
  8. Bobs Guest

    On Aug 6, 3:50 pm, Bobs <> wrote:
    > On Aug 6, 3:27 pm, wrote:
    >

    > > On Aug 6, 2:18 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > > > Somewhere on teh intarweb "" typed:

    > > > Keep backups, Seagate have a 5 year warranty, it's bit early to be saying
    > > > it's a lemon.

    > > > My first thought is whether your PSU is sufficiently powerful as you don't
    > > > list it with your upgraded components. I've seen many upgrades where the PSU
    > > > is 'recycled' in a new system requiring more power (definition of 'upgrade'
    > > > in this context no?) that have ended in tears.

    > > Arrgh, knew I'd forgotten to list something. Yep, it's a new Acbel
    > > PC7005 "E2 Power 470"

    > > The board is an Asus P5K-E, and I noticed EATX12V socket is half
    > > covered with a cap. It mentions using "only either a 4-pin ATX12V
    > > (which I've plugged into the uncovered side) or an 8-pin EPS+12V
    > > plug". My PSU has another 4-pin - should I remove the cap and plug
    > > that in? Damn these new boards are confusing, I've not done a build
    > > since my Athlon 2500 5 years ago.

    > No, don't think so. EPS+12V was, I thought, mostly used for multi-
    > socket motherboards. It's coverered for a reason. You should have a 24
    > pin (20+4) as the main power socket and a secondary 4 pin 12V (which
    > you've plugged in) for the CPU.
    >

    > > > When does the clicking occur? Where does the bootup stop? Is there an error
    > > > message?

    > > Just after Post-ing, Sata device #1 not found or similar. It then
    > > tries to find another bootable device.
    > > The next time I booted it went through fine, so it's not doing it
    > > every time.
    > > Just working through the Seatools basic tests now, (all passed so far)
    > > up to the Long Generic.- Hide quoted text -

    Btw, make sure you've plugged the right ones in. The 4 pin 12V
    connector that goes into the auxilery power socket is 12v and has
    different colourerd wiring from the other 4 pin connector. They should
    be keyed to only fit in the right place though.
    Bobs, Aug 6, 2008
  9. ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "" typed:
    > On Aug 6, 2:18 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "" typed:
    >>
    >>> I've recently done an upgrade (board/CPU/RAM/GFX/Hard Drive), the
    >>> drive is a Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB SATA.
    >>> Started up this morning and click click click from the 3 day old
    >>> hard drive! Tried again, same. 3rd time booted OK. Ran HD Sentinel
    >>> and “Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no
    >>> spin up or data transfer errors. “ Turned it on just now and
    >>> another lot of 4 clicks x 3, then boots ok.
    >>> Should I get this replaced ASAP, or is it just a hiccup? Knowing my
    >>> luck I suspect a lemon.

    >> Keep backups, Seagate have a 5 year warranty, it's bit early to be
    >> saying it's a lemon.
    >>
    >> My first thought is whether your PSU is sufficiently powerful as you
    >> don't list it with your upgraded components. I've seen many upgrades
    >> where the PSU is 'recycled' in a new system requiring more power
    >> (definition of 'upgrade' in this context no?) that have ended in
    >> tears.

    > Arrgh, knew I'd forgotten to list something. Yep, it's a new Acbel
    > PC7005 "E2 Power 470"
    >
    > The board is an Asus P5K-E, and I noticed EATX12V socket is half
    > covered with a cap. It mentions using "only either a 4-pin ATX12V
    > (which I've plugged into the uncovered side) or an 8-pin EPS+12V
    > plug". My PSU has another 4-pin - should I remove the cap and plug
    > that in? Damn these new boards are confusing, I've not done a build
    > since my Athlon 2500 5 years ago.

    I also went from an Athlon XP2500+ (@2.2GHz) to a P5K-E (WiFi-AP in my
    case). Also, I use an AcBel PSU. I originally used an E2 Power 510 (and I
    *did* pop off that cap on the mobo and used both 4 pin leads) but as I added
    more HDDs (4 now) I decided to upgrade the PSU to an AcBel R8/700W.

    >> When does the clicking occur? Where does the bootup stop? Is there
    >> an error message?

    > Just after Post-ing, Sata device #1 not found or similar. It then
    > tries to find another bootable device.
    > The next time I booted it went through fine, so it's not doing it
    > every time.
    > Just working through the Seatools basic tests now, (all passed so far)
    > up to the Long Generic.

    Depending on your CPU and GFX you could still be a bit underpowered.
    However, for now, if it were my machine I'd re-seat both the SATA power
    cable and both ends of the SATA data cable and try again. <fingers crossed>

    Let us know what happens after you do that (if you haven't already). It
    certainly still sounds like a 'power to hard-drive' issue to me.

    Luck,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 6, 2008
  10. Guest

    On Aug 6, 5:43 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "" typed:
    > I also went from an Athlon XP2500+ (@2.2GHz) to a P5K-E (WiFi-AP in my
    > case). Also, I use an AcBel PSU. I originally used an E2 Power 510 (and I
    > *did* pop off that cap on the mobo and used both 4 pin leads) but as I added
    > more HDDs (4 now) I decided to upgrade the PSU to an AcBel R8/700W.

    This is the WiFi-AP edition (forgot that too, doh!) Would using both 4-
    pin leads help anything, or would a gruntier PSU be better if all else
    fails?

    > >> When does the clicking occur? Where does the bootup stop? Is there
    > >> an error message?

    > > Just after Post-ing, Sata device #1 not found or similar. It then
    > > tries to find another bootable device.
    > > The next time I booted it went through fine, so it's not doing it
    > > every time.
    > > Just working through the Seatools basic tests now, (all passed so far)
    > > up to the Long Generic.

    > Depending on your CPU and GFX you could still be a bit underpowered.
    > However, for now, if it were my machine I'd re-seat both the SATA power
    > cable and both ends of the SATA data cable and try again. <fingers crossed>
    >
    > Let us know what happens after you do that (if you haven't already). It
    > certainly still sounds like a 'power to hard-drive' issue to me.

    It's been shut down for 90mins, and I've just re-seated the SATA power
    & data cables, booted ok this time - it is a bit tight in there so I
    may have slightly dislodged something when connecting the USB
    connectors. I will cross my fingers and see what happens tomorrow
    morning.

    The CPU is Core 2 Duo E8200 / 2.66Ghz (45nm), and the GFX card ASUS
    Extreme Nvidia 9600GT (Silent).
    Other junk plugged in: IDE DVD ROM, IDE CD Writer and a floppy drive.

    Thanks for the suggestions, will let you know how things are tomorrow
    after bootup :)
    , Aug 6, 2008
  11. ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "" typed:
    > On Aug 6, 5:43 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "" typed:
    >> I also went from an Athlon XP2500+ (@2.2GHz) to a P5K-E (WiFi-AP in
    >> my case). Also, I use an AcBel PSU. I originally used an E2 Power
    >> 510 (and I *did* pop off that cap on the mobo and used both 4 pin
    >> leads) but as I added more HDDs (4 now) I decided to upgrade the PSU
    >> to an AcBel R8/700W.

    > This is the WiFi-AP edition (forgot that too, doh!)

    Excellent choice of both motherboard and PSU manufacturer! ;-)

    > Would using both
    > 4- pin leads help anything, or would a gruntier PSU be better if all
    > else fails?

    I used both leads because the board was made to take them, the PSU had them
    and to reduce load on the four wires.

    I would plug them in for the above reasons. However, it won't help your
    current HDD problem.

    >>> Just after Post-ing, Sata device #1 not found or similar. It then
    >>> tries to find another bootable device.
    >>> The next time I booted it went through fine, so it's not doing it
    >>> every time.
    >>> Just working through the Seatools basic tests now, (all passed so
    >>> far) up to the Long Generic.

    >> Depending on your CPU and GFX you could still be a bit underpowered.
    >> However, for now, if it were my machine I'd re-seat both the SATA
    >> power cable and both ends of the SATA data cable and try again.
    >> <fingers crossed>
    >>
    >> Let us know what happens after you do that (if you haven't already).
    >> It certainly still sounds like a 'power to hard-drive' issue to me.

    > It's been shut down for 90mins, and I've just re-seated the SATA power
    > & data cables, booted ok this time - it is a bit tight in there so I
    > may have slightly dislodged something when connecting the USB
    > connectors. I will cross my fingers and see what happens tomorrow
    > morning.

    <crosses fingers> It certainly sounds like it's not enough power to the HDD
    to me. Hopefully re-seating it was all that was needed.

    > The CPU is Core 2 Duo E8200 / 2.66Ghz (45nm),

    I'm an overclocker. I have an E4500 (65nm as the 45s weren't out wen I
    bought it) that is clocked rock-solid at 3.3GHz instead of the default
    2.2GHz.

    I'd like a 45nm part at some stage as I built this machine with that in
    mind, intending for it to last me at least as long as my last one did, 5
    years. I have a mobo that uses DDR and AGP that will take the E4500 when I
    upgrade. I was thinking E8400 but I'm considering E7200 as I'm on a budget.
    my FSB doesn't seem to want to go above 413MHz (at least with this CPU) and
    the E7200 has a higher multiplier/lower default FSB than the E8400 so I
    think it'll clock higher. It's also $100 cheaper. The downside is it has
    half the L2, only 3MB. Still, I'm thinking it'll do 4GHz easy with the
    cooler I have now... Sorry, I digress.

    > and the GFX card ASUS
    > Extreme Nvidia 9600GT (Silent).

    I still have an old 7800GT that I was given for upgrading a mate's machine.
    It does all I want for now and the foreseeable future (depending on Diablo
    III's requirements when it finally gets released).

    > Other junk plugged in: IDE DVD ROM, IDE CD Writer and a floppy drive.

    Yup, 2 opticals, 4 HDDs and a FDD here.

    > Thanks for the suggestions, will let you know how things are tomorrow
    > after bootup :)

    Cool. Good luck. You have a good machine there, the weak point is the PSU
    though. Good brand, slightly low rated wattage for my liking. It's actually
    about right for now but not much headroom or allowance for aging of
    components. PSUs can lose 25% of their rating over a couple years. More if
    they're running hot.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 6, 2008
  12. a@.abc Guest

    Im in the process of returning an identical 1 month old drive.

    Started to get lockups in windows, PC would reboot then sata controller
    couldn't detect drive.

    Was getting heaps of write failure errors, scandisk would never complete.
    All my other drives worked fine (as secondary and boot)

    a@.abc, Aug 6, 2008
  13. Guest

    On Aug 6, 9:01 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "" typed:
    >
    > > Would using both
    > > 4- pin leads help anything, or would a gruntier PSU be better if all
    > > else fails?

    > I used both leads because the board was made to take them, the PSU had them
    > and to reduce load on the four wires.
    >
    > I would plug them in for the above reasons. However, it won't help your
    > current HDD problem.

    Will keep that in mind!

    > > It's been shut down for 90mins, and I've just re-seated the SATA power
    > > & data cables, booted ok this time - it is a bit tight in there so I
    > > may have slightly dislodged something when connecting the USB
    > > connectors. I will cross my fingers and see what happens tomorrow
    > > morning.

    > <crosses fingers> It certainly sounds like it's not enough power to the HDD
    > to me. Hopefully re-seating it was all that was needed.

    <snippage>

    > > Thanks for the suggestions, will let you know how things are tomorrow
    > > after bootup :)

    > Cool. Good luck. You have a good machine there, the weak point is the PSU
    > though. Good brand, slightly low rated wattage for my liking. It's actually
    > about right for now but not much headroom or allowance for aging of
    > components. PSUs can lose 25% of their rating over a couple years. More if
    > they're running hot.

    Just a quick update, it booted up fine this morning. Will see how it
    goes over the next few days, but looking good so far (touch wood!).

    Thanks again
    , Aug 6, 2008
  14. ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "" typed:
    > On Aug 6, 9:01 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "" typed:
    >>
    >>> Would using both
    >>> 4- pin leads help anything, or would a gruntier PSU be better if all
    >>> else fails?

    >> I used both leads because the board was made to take them, the PSU
    >> had them and to reduce load on the four wires.
    >>
    >> I would plug them in for the above reasons. However, it won't help
    >> your current HDD problem.

    > Will keep that in mind!

    Yeah, I nfigured that the plug was there. the socket was there, why not put
    the two together? I had no reason to regret it. <shrug>

    >>> It's been shut down for 90mins, and I've just re-seated the SATA
    >>> power & data cables, booted ok this time - it is a bit tight in
    >>> there so I may have slightly dislodged something when connecting
    >>> the USB connectors. I will cross my fingers and see what happens
    >>> tomorrow morning.

    >> <crosses fingers> It certainly sounds like it's not enough power to
    >> the HDD to me. Hopefully re-seating it was all that was needed.

    > <snippage>
    >
    >>> Thanks for the suggestions, will let you know how things are
    >>> tomorrow after bootup :)

    >> Cool. Good luck. You have a good machine there, the weak point is
    >> the PSU though. Good brand, slightly low rated wattage for my
    >> liking. It's actually about right for now but not much headroom or
    >> allowance for aging of components. PSUs can lose 25% of their rating
    >> over a couple years. More if they're running hot.

    > Just a quick update, it booted up fine this morning. Will see how it
    > goes over the next few days, but looking good so far (touch wood!).

    Cool. Sounds like it may have been simply poor contact with one of the
    cables, most likely the power cable.

    > Thanks again

    You're welcome.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 7, 2008
  15. Guest

    , Aug 7, 2008
  16. ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "" typed:
    > Update, bugger the clicking has returned:

    Bugger indeed.

    > mp3 file:
    > https://rcpt.yousendit.com/595640821/a1ea14f6531ecff6a9e64ec2b6e7b9be

    Hmmm, ya'know, that sounds like it could be the HDD itself. Whenever I've
    heard that the HDD has died soon after.

    > Will try another PSU tomorrow.

    Perhaps you should get the HDD back to the shop from whence it came and get
    an RMA authority? Unless you can try another PSU without spending money, or
    test the HDD in another machine first.

    Luck,
    --
    Shaun.