DoD hacked Facebook? Trackback explained

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Anonymous Remailer (austria), Jan 26, 2011.

  1. "Mark Zuckerberg Facebook fan page hack: who was behind it?"

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2011/jan/26/mark-zuckerberg-
    facebook-fan-hack-investigation

    " ... Let's follow up some of the trail left in the Mark Zuckerberg
    Facebook fan page hacking incident.

    The only – and best clue – is the link left by the hacker in the status
    update posted on Zuckerberg's wall, which reads "Let the hacking begin:
    if facebook needs money, instead of going to the banks, why doesn't
    Facebook let its user invest in Facebook in a social way? Why not
    transform Facebook into a 'social business' the way Nobel Price [sic]
    winner Muhammad Yunus described it? http://bit.ly/f26rT3 What do you
    think? #hackercup2011"

    That contains a bit.ly link. Well, you can find out what the original
    URL is by adding a plus on the end, so: http://bit.ly/fs6rT3 From
    which we can see that about 17,000 people clicked the link. Not bad
    (though we have to say that Julian Assange gets more clicks when he
    appears on the Guardian ... but we digress).

    The original, shortened link was actually: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
    Social_business?
    h=d044aeb71f4e466a552708fc6e3863ef&thanksforthecup=https://
    www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=393752&id=133954286636768&fbid
    %3D170535036312026

    Let's begin with the second part of the long link – the part that
    starts "thanksforthecup": it's URL-encoded (so "%3D" actually stands
    for the character "=", "%26" for "&") and leads to a Facebook photo
    page for the Hacker Cup, a competition run by Facebook itself. So the
    hacker is saying he thinks he should get the cup. OK, we get it.

    Now, back to the first part. If you just click the link, you'll be
    taken to Wikipedia's page about social business. But not the latest
    version – to a specific version in its edit history. That is, to http://
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_business?
    h=d044aeb71f4e466a552708fc6e3863ef – which is not the same, now, as
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_business. If you open them in two
    tabs, or just open the first in a tab and click on the "Article" link
    in the top left, you'll see it. Go back and forth a couple of times and
    you might spot the difference. Yes? No? Have a look at this difference
    page, then. (And look at how it was before that edit.)

    Yup, the difference is the addition in the first sentence. Usually,
    that reads:

    "A '''social business''' is a non-loss, non-dividend company designed
    to address a social objective"

    But in the edited (older) version that you get sent to, the phrase

    " much like [http://www.romanstwelve.net www.romanstwelve.net]"

    has been added. (The square brackets turn the text into a link going
    out to romanstwelve.net). And what does that site do? It offers "total
    web consulting" and is based in Pickerington, Ohio.

    Crucially, as the picture shows, that edit was only on Wikipedia for
    two minutes on Tuesday 25 – between 19.17EST and 19.19EST – indicating
    that the hacker must have created the edit with the link and then
    deleted it straight afterwards, but kept the link to the version he had
    edited. Then he encoded the link for the photo and attached it to the
    Wikipedia link, and stuffed the whole lot into bit.ly. Then, having got
    the shortened link, he went and updated the status on the fan page. The
    timing of the change, and its reversion, indicates that this was the
    same person. You don't accidentally link to an old version of a page;
    you'd link to the generic version.

    In other words, we might be able to find the hacker if we can find out
    who changed the Wikipedia page. Unfortunately, it wasn't done by a
    registered user. But because of Wikipedia's clever tracking system, you
    can see the IP of non-registered users: there it is at the top of the
    edit page in the screenshot: 131.74.110.168. You can also see what
    articles machines at that IP address have edited – a very mixed bag–-
    and also how edits from that IP have been increasingly smacked down by
    Wikipedia editors (latest on that page coming from October 2009:
    "Please stop your disruptive editing. If you continue to vandalise
    Wikipedia, as you did at Lyoto Machida, you will be blocked from
    editing."

    So who's behind 131.74.110.168? A quick whois query tells you that
    it... the US department of defence in Williamsburg.

    In other words: this might be someone in the military. Most likely
    those edits don't come from one person – they come from all sorts of
    people in the Williamsburg location. Or, just as possible, it was
    someone who had hacked into the computers there from outside (not as
    difficult as you'd hope it would be) and is using them as a proxy to
    make the Wikipedia edit, and, quite possibly, hack Zuckerberg's page.
    (We've asked Facebook whether Zuckerberg's page was accessed from that
    IP, but haven't had an answer yet.)

    That's about all the clues we have: a US DOD IP, a transient Wikipedia
    page, and a link to a web consulting business. We asked Jeremy Reger,
    of Romanstwelve, if he was involved with or knew who was behind the
    hacking. His answer is an emphatic no: "Hackers don't link to pages who
    then link to pages. I do not have any idea who did the hack." He added:
    "I'm sure Facebook would confirm that the IP [address] in the wiki
    history in not the same IP that "hacked" the fan page."

    That remains to be seen. For now, all we have are the pieces of the
    hack. Can anyone add more?

    Anonymous Remailer (austria), Jan 26, 2011

  2. On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:15:52 +0100 (CET), Anonymous Remailer (austria)
    wrote:

    > So who's behind 131.74.110.168? A quick whois query tells you that
    > it... the US department of defence in Williamsburg.

    More specifically the Logistics Agency which handles pay and
    employment. It might be of interest that we have CAC access to the
    DLA since we have to coordinate through a range of IPs with MyPay.

    IOW, I am your hacker.

    *LOL*

    > In other words: this might be someone in the military.

    Or not. See above.

    > Most likely
    > those edits don't come from one person – they come from all sorts of
    > people in the Williamsburg location.

    Or not. See above.

    > Or, just as possible, it was
    > someone who had hacked into the computers there from outside (not as
    > difficult as you'd hope it would be) and is using them as a proxy to
    > make the Wikipedia edit, and, quite possibly, hack Zuckerberg's page.

    Or not. See above.

    > (We've asked Facebook whether Zuckerberg's page was accessed from that
    > IP, but haven't had an answer yet.)

    duh.
    --
    ´If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of
    men, I will find something in them which will hang him.¡ ~Cardinal

    Ari Silverstein, Jan 26, 2011

  3. Anonymous Remailer (austria)

    Art Guest

    Ari Silverstein wrote:

    > On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:15:52 +0100 (CET), Anonymous Remailer (austria)
    > wrote:
    >
    > > So who's behind 131.74.110.168? A quick whois query tells you that
    > > it... the US department of defence in Williamsburg.

    > More specifically the Logistics Agency which handles pay and
    > employment. It might be of interest that we have CAC access to the
    > DLA since we have to coordinate through a range of IPs with MyPay.

    What does CAC access have to do with this ?

    Art, Jan 26, 2011
  4. On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 18:07:47 -0500, Art wrote:

    > Ari Silverstein wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:15:52 +0100 (CET), Anonymous Remailer (austria)
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> So who's behind 131.74.110.168? A quick whois query tells you that
    >>> it... the US department of defence in Williamsburg.

    >> More specifically the Logistics Agency which handles pay and
    >> employment. It might be of interest that we have CAC access to the
    >> DLA since we have to coordinate through a range of IPs with MyPay.
    >>

    > What does CAC access have to do with this ?

    If you have to ask, then you haven't a clue about the requirements to
    enter a secured .mil domain.

    Ari Silverstein, Jan 27, 2011
  5. Anonymous Remailer (austria)

    Art Guest

    Ari Silverstein wrote:

    > On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 18:07:47 -0500, Art wrote:
    >
    > > Ari Silverstein wrote:

    > >> More specifically the Logistics Agency which handles pay and
    > >> employment. It might be of interest that we have CAC access to the
    > >> DLA since we have to coordinate through a range of IPs with MyPay.
    > >>

    > > What does CAC access have to do with this ?

    > If you have to ask, then you haven't a clue about the requirements to
    > enter a secured .mil domain.

    Dude I am fully aware of DoD PKE. I have had a CAC for most of the last
    decade and know how to provision AD for CCL, have used all CAC middleware
    from NetSIGN through ActivClient, I know what it takes to deal with encrypted
    email when transitioning CACs and know what it takes for CAC related SSO.
    Even my home PC is CAC compliant.

    Now what does CAC have to do with this subject matter ?

    Art, Jan 27, 2011
  6. On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 19:51:53 -0500, Art wrote:

    > Ari Silverstein wrote:

    >>> What does CAC access have to do with this ?

    >> If you have to ask, then you haven't a clue about the requirements to
    >> enter a secured .mil domain.
    >>

    > Dude I am fully aware of DoD PKE. I have had a CAC for most of the last
    > decade and know how to provision AD for CCL, have used all CAC middleware
    > from NetSIGN through ActivClient, I know what it takes to deal with encrypted
    > email when transitioning CACs and know what it takes for CAC related SSO.
    > Even my home PC is CAC compliant.
    >
    > Now what does CAC have to do with this subject matter ?

    Asked and answered and if you are as astute as you say, why not log in
    to DLA's 131.74.110.168 DNS and Google Group a response back to us.

    Ari Silverstein, Jan 27, 2011
  7. Anonymous Remailer (austria)

    Art Guest

    Ari Silverstein wrote:

    > On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 19:51:53 -0500, Art wrote:
    >
    > > Ari Silverstein wrote:

    > >> If you have to ask, then you haven't a clue about the requirements to
    > >> enter a secured .mil domain.
    > >>

    > > Dude I am fully aware of DoD PKE. I have had a CAC for most of the last
    > > decade and know how to provision AD for CCL, have used all CAC middleware
    > > from NetSIGN through ActivClient, I know what it takes to deal with encrypted
    > > email when transitioning CACs and know what it takes for CAC related SSO.
    > > Even my home PC is CAC compliant.
    > >
    > > Now what does CAC have to do with this subject matter ?

    > Asked and answered and if you are as astute as you say, why not log in
    > to DLA's 131.74.110.168 DNS and Google Group a response back to us.

    Right. You are just throwing that in to make you look like you know something.
    You haven't answered anything.

    You don't know shite. You are just a bloody troll Ari.

    Art, Jan 27, 2011
  8. On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:44:16 -0500, Art wrote:

    > Ari Silverstein wrote:

    >>> Dude I am fully aware of DoD PKE. I have had a CAC for most of the last
    >>> decade and know how to provision AD for CCL, have used all CAC middleware
    >>> from NetSIGN through ActivClient, I know what it takes to deal with encrypted
    >>> email when transitioning CACs and know what it takes for CAC related SSO.
    >>> Even my home PC is CAC compliant.
    >>>
    >>> Now what does CAC have to do with this subject matter ?

    >> Asked and answered and if you are as astute as you say, why not log in
    >> to DLA's 131.74.110.168 DNS and Google Group a response back to us.
    >>

    > You are just throwing that in to make you look like you know something.

    You said: "Dude I am fully aware of DoD PKE. I have had a CAC for
    most of the last decade and know how to provision AD for CCL, have
    used all CAC middleware from NetSIGN through ActivClient, I know what
    it takes to deal with encrypted email when transitioning CACs and
    know what it takes for CAC related SSO. Even my home PC is CAC
    compliant."

    Nice copy and paste from NIMC. *LOL*

    You are just throwing that in to make you look like you know
    something.

    > You haven't answered anything.

    I have a long, recorded history of speaking on this subject and you?
    Not a fucking thing.

    > You don't know shite. You are just a bloody troll Ari.

    Don't let the door kiss your ass on the way out then. "Art".

    Ari Silverstein, Jan 27, 2011
  9. Anonymous Remailer (austria)

    Art Guest

    > >> Asked and answered and if you are as astute as you say, why not log in
    > >> to DLA's 131.74.110.168 DNS and Google Group a response back to us.
    > >>

    > > You are just throwing that in to make you look like you know something.

    > You said: "Dude I am fully aware of DoD PKE. I have had a CAC for
    > most of the last decade and know how to provision AD for CCL, have
    > used all CAC middleware from NetSIGN through ActivClient, I know what
    > it takes to deal with encrypted email when transitioning CACs and
    > know what it takes for CAC related SSO. Even my home PC is CAC
    > compliant."
    >
    > Nice copy and paste from NIMC. *LOL*
    >
    > You are just throwing that in to make you look like you know
    > something.
    >
    > > You haven't answered anything.

    > I have a long, recorded history of speaking on this subject and you?
    > Not a fucking thing.
    >
    > > You don't know shite. You are just a bloody troll Ari.

    > Don't let the door kiss your ass on the way out then. "Art".
    > --
    > ´If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of
    > men, I will find something in them which will hang him.¡ ~Cardinal
    > Richelieu

    Copy and paste my asss. I wrote that from the top of my head. Just I like I know
    that if you want to force your AGM platform to lock the screen when you pull your CAC
    you set
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    scremoveoption =1

    Of course I'm posting with a 'nym as I'm practicing OPSEC so don't expect this 'nym
    to express prior GIG content. Don't expect this 'nym to exist much longer either.

    Answer these questions:
    A) What is the date CTO 07-015 poem is due ?

    CN=DOD CA-24,OU=PKI,OU=DoD,O=U.S. Government,C=US
    GemCombiXpresso R4 E72PK
    B) Where does the above come from ?

    C) Under the JKO Learning Management System, what is the 6th J3T training module one
    can enroll in ?

    D) Subsequent to one getting a new CAC on AGM 9.x, what are the THREE basic
    constructs one needs to perform ?

    E) Why do I need Tumbleweed ?

    Art, Jan 27, 2011
  10. On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 00:46:15 -0500, Art wrote:

    > Answer these questions:
    > A) What is the date CTO 07-015 poem is due ?

    Oooh, wait, you're still here. yYu must have me confused with a
    cubicle jailed coder like yourself. No, no, my little one. I suggest
    you do your homework on me.

    I *hire* coders.

    Ta ta.

    Ari Silverstein, Jan 27, 2011
  11. Anonymous Remailer (austria)

    Art Guest

    Ari Silverstein wrote:

    > On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 00:46:15 -0500, Art wrote:
    >
    > > Answer these questions:
    > > A) What is the date CTO 07-015 poem is due ?

    > Oooh, wait, you're still here. yYu must have me confused with a
    > cubicle jailed coder like yourself. No, no, my little one. I suggest
    > you do your homework on me.
    >
    > I *hire* coders.
    >
    > Ta ta.

    Right. Can't answer because you are a clueless troll who talks big but
    when pushed for facts can't provide !

    A) What is the date CTO 07-015 poem is due ?
    A: Jan 31, 2011

    B) CN=DOD CA-24,OU=PKI,OU=DoD,O=U.S. Government,C=US
    GemCombiXpresso R4 E72PK
    Where does the above come from ?
    A: Gemalto GCX4 72K Common Access Card retrieved using ActivClient
    v6.1.3.130
    -- LIBRARY VERSION --
    CSP Library:
    Name: accsp.dll
    Version: 4-4-0-27
    P11 Library:
    Name: acpkcs211.dll
    Version: 4-4-0-15
    BSI Library:
    Name: acbsi21.dll
    Version: 4-4-0-2

    C) Under the JKO Learning Management System, what is the 6th J3T
    training module one can enroll in ?
    A: J3TA-US032, M9 Pistol Training Course
    That is easily obtainable *IF* you had access to Joint Knowledge Online
    (JKO)

    D) Subsequent to one getting a new CAC on AGM 9.x, what are the THREE
    basic constructs one needs to perform ?
    A: 1 - Pull old certificate from the Global Acess List (GAL) and
    publish new certificate to the GAL
    { You can't work work properly with encrypted email if you don't publish
    your certificate to the GAL or if you have multiple certificates in the
    GAL }
    { AGM - Army Gold Master v9 (aka; Vista AGM) }

    2 - Publish new certificate to Army Knowledge Online (AKO).
    { Can't do Single Sign On (SSO) through your CAC and access Public Key
    Infrastructure (PKI) protected web sites if you don't publish your
    certificate to AKO }

    3 - Recrypt data for Due to Data At Rest (DAR) compliance with new CAC
    certificate
    { Data is encrypted via one's CAC for DAR compliance and if you don't
    recrypt the data then you lose access to your Profile "Documents" folder
    }

    E) Why do I need Tumbleweed ?
    You need Tubleweed for site and file certificate verification a
    certificate revocation (ex. DISA CRL) and it is needed as part of the
    Actiove Directory (AD) CAC Cryptographic Login (CCL) authentication
    process with an Online Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP) server.

    Check Mate!
    { 'nym retired }

    Art, Jan 27, 2011
  12. On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 17:09:53 -0500, Art wrote:

    > Ari Silverstein wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 00:46:15 -0500, Art wrote:
    >>
    >>> Answer these questions:
    >>> A) What is the date CTO 07-015 poem is due ?

    >> Oooh, wait, you're still here. yYu must have me confused with a
    >> cubicle jailed coder like yourself. No, no, my little one. I suggest
    >> you do your homework on me.
    >>
    >> I *hire* coders.
    >>
    >> Ta ta.
    >>

    > Right.

    You still here? Looking for work? I have hired several off Usenet but,
    sorry, no openings for you.

    *rofl*

    Ari Silverstein, Jan 27, 2011
  13. On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 17:29:07 -0500, Ari Silverstein wrote:

    > On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 17:09:53 -0500, Art wrote:
    >
    >> Ari Silverstein wrote:

    >>> Oooh, wait, you're still here. yYu must have me confused with a
    >>> cubicle jailed coder like yourself. No, no, my little one. I suggest
    >>> you do your homework on me.
    >>>
    >>> I *hire* coders.
    >>>
    >>> Ta ta.
    >>>

    >> Right.

    > You still here? Looking for work? I have hired several off Usenet but,
    > sorry, no openings for you.
    >
    > *rofl*

    OK, got an opening for CAC SSO coder, $110,000 per year, will pay to
    relocate to Miami FL, email me ASAP.
    --
    http://cryptoparanoid.jottit.com/

    Ari Silverstein, Jan 28, 2011
  14. On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 15:46:28 -0500, Ari Silverstein wrote:

    > On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 17:29:07 -0500, Ari Silverstein wrote:

    >>> Right.

    >> You still here? Looking for work? I have hired several off Usenet but,
    >> sorry, no openings for you.
    >>
    >> *rofl*

    > OK, got an opening for CAC SSO coder, $110,000 per year, will pay to
    > relocate to Miami FL, email me ASAP.

    BZZZZZZZZZZT. Times up, you lose, job's assigned. /lol/

    Ari Silverstein, Jan 29, 2011
  15. In article <>
    Ari Silverstein <> wrote:

    > >> You still here? Looking for work? I have hired several off Usenet but,
    > >> sorry, no openings for you.
    > >>
    > >> *rofl*

    > > OK, got an opening for CAC SSO coder, $110,000 per year, will pay to
    > > relocate to Miami FL, email me ASAP.

    > BZZZZZZZZZZT. <--------------

    This is the sound of a fly buzzing through Ari's head, in one ear
    and out the other.
    Ari, we are going to miss you (for a second or two) when you go
    over to start posting on alt.buttwipe, because we will then....,
    because we will then...., Hell, I can't think of any reason why we
    would miss you, you pathetic, limp-dick wannabe.

    Dave U. Random, Jan 29, 2011