    else I should have done to select another port? How do I test to see if the
    problem is the port itself? I do not have another PC or printer to test
    with.

    Katonahjoe, Jan 22, 2006

  2. Katonahjoe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:KROAf.3740$,
    Katonahjoe spewed forth:
    > When I try to print an Excel or Word document to my HP 722C printer
    > from my Windows XP Home Edition system , nothing happens. The light
    > on the printer does not flash indicating a document is printing nor
    > do I get an error message that the connection is bad.
    >
    > I tried all the steps in Troubleshooting the Printer in Help and
    > Support but nothing worked.
    > Even turning my PC and printer off and turning them back on failed. I
    > also disconnected everything and reconnected but this did not work.
    >
    > The only one I am not sure about is using another port. My printer is
    > configured for lpt 1 and I tried to switch to lpt 2 by selecting
    > Properties/Print to the Following Port.
    > I selected lpt 2 and configure port but nothing printed. Is there
    > something else I should have done to select another port? How do I
    > test to see if the problem is the port itself? I do not have another
    > PC or printer to test with.

    Ports are tested with a loopback plug and special software. You'd be better
    off getting a neighbor, co-worker, family member, etc. to bring over a
    different printer and try that.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 22, 2006

  3. Katonahjoe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:KROAf.3740$,
    Katonahjoe spewed forth:
    > When I try to print an Excel or Word document to my HP 722C printer
    > from my Windows XP Home Edition system , nothing happens. The light
    > on the printer does not flash indicating a document is printing nor
    > do I get an error message that the connection is bad.
    >
    > I tried all the steps in Troubleshooting the Printer in Help and
    > Support but nothing worked.
    > Even turning my PC and printer off and turning them back on failed. I
    > also disconnected everything and reconnected but this did not work.
    >
    > The only one I am not sure about is using another port. My printer is
    > configured for lpt 1 and I tried to switch to lpt 2 by selecting
    > Properties/Print to the Following Port.
    > I selected lpt 2 and configure port but nothing printed. Is there
    > something else I should have done to select another port? How do I
    > test to see if the problem is the port itself? I do not have another
    > PC or printer to test with.

    Here's another thought - you may have something "stuck" in your print
    spooler. Go to C:\windows\system32\spool\printers and delete any files that
    are in there.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 22, 2006
  4. Katonahjoe

    Mike Easter Guest

    Katonahjoe wrote:
    > When I try to print an Excel or Word document to my HP 722C printer
    > from my Windows XP Home Edition system , nothing happens. The light
    > on the printer does not flash indicating a document is printing nor
    > do I get an error message that the connection is bad.

    First do a printer selftest to make sure the printer's firmware is
    working.

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&cc=us&product=57565&dlc=en&docname=bpd02940

    which sez disconnect the printer from the computer but not the
    powersource, hold down the powerbutton, while that button is down, press
    and release the resume button 4 times, then release the powerbutton.
    The resultant page is some vertical stripes of the colors.

    Here's the page about XP driver installation and the diagnostics utility
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...lang=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=57565&rule=46644 -
    - Installing the Most Current Printer Driver on a Microsoft(R) Windows
    XP Computer -- Downloading and Installing the System Diagnostics Utility
    (v 1.5)

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 22, 2006
  5. Katonahjoe

    Katonahjoe Guest

    When I checked this folder, there were 4 or 6 files with a prefix of
    FP00000 or F00000 that apparently Shockwave files that had been created in
    the System 32 folder after the last time I tried to print.

    I deleted them but still cannot print. Thanks anyway.

    Katonahjoe, Jan 22, 2006
  6. Katonahjoe

    Katonahjoe Guest

    I will try your suggestions and get back to the group. Thanks.

    Katonahjoe, Jan 22, 2006
  7. Katonahjoe

    Spuds Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:59:22 GMT, "Katonahjoe" <>
    wrote:

    >When I try to print an Excel or Word document to my HP 722C printer from my
    >Windows XP Home Edition system , nothing happens. The light on the printer
    >does not flash indicating a document is printing nor do I get an error
    >message that the connection is bad.
    >
    >I tried all the steps in Troubleshooting the Printer in Help and Support but
    >nothing worked.
    >Even turning my PC and printer off and turning them back on failed. I also
    >disconnected everything and reconnected but this did not work.
    >
    >The only one I am not sure about is using another port. My printer is
    >configured for lpt 1 and I tried to switch to lpt 2 by selecting
    >Properties/Print to the Following Port.
    >I selected lpt 2 and configure port but nothing printed. Is there something
    >else I should have done to select another port? How do I test to see if the
    >problem is the port itself? I do not have another PC or printer to test
    >with.

    Could be something simple like printing being paused.
    Right click on the printer icon and have a look.

    Spuds, Jan 22, 2006