    certification to a CST for $49... http://tinyurl.com/la74q Do you guys
    think there is a catch? should i go for it? what do you think?
    Graham
    graham, Mar 23, 2006

  2. graham

    Crimson* Guest

    I was wondering the same thing. I got the e-mail about rolling over my
    A+/Network+ for $69. Honestly, I don't think either cert has helped my
    career too much and don't see how another cert(s) would. If I've never
    heard of this CST/CNST cert before what are the odds that someone at the HR
    dept of a prospective employer has? Plus you have to update it annually, I
    believe, for like $25. Personally, I'd say save the cash for a Microsoft or
    Cisco cert. Employers (in my area at least) favor experience over weird
    letters after your name (A+/CST/MCP, etc.) anyway.
    Crimson*, Mar 23, 2006

  3. graham

    Glenn Guest

    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

    Glenn, Mar 24, 2006
  4. graham

    MF Guest

    I got this too. I have an A+ from 1998. So If this is a rollover, why is
    it $49.00. It's just some certification group trying to attain a base to
    market to, so why isn't it free?

    Check the org that provides the certs that you get for your 49 bucks.

    Mike

    MF, Mar 30, 2006
  5. Sounds like a scam. (Tinyurl.com is a spamming address--I have it
    blocked cause I was getting so much spam of all types from that address.
    The spammers use it, trying to be anonymous, I guess. lol) ;)

    Check with CompTIA and Microsoft to verify its legitimacy.

    John
    ----------

    WinXP_Powered, Apr 1, 2006
  6. I just went to that address in your message, and it redirects you to
    StudyExam4Less. Does your employer require you to be ETA certified? If
    not, why does it even matter to you to be CST certified?

    If you can buy that cert for a fee, based on your A+ Certification, then
    what's the point? A knowledgeable employer should know that your A+
    Certification is at least equivalent, if not better, than ETA's CST cert.

    I'm curious. Has anyone here ever been told that ETA's CST certification
    was a requirement of any job as a PC Technician?

    John
    ------

    WinXP_Powered, Apr 1, 2006
  7. I researched this certification rollover more, after posting my initial
    reaction to the emails a few of you received. I went to ETA-I.org and
    looked at what's required to be a certified Computer Service Technician,
    if you weren't already A+ Certified.

    All of their certifications have a prerequisite of passing an Associates
    level exam first, then you take a Journeyman exam in your field. They
    have a free Associates practice exam online with 150 questions, which
    anyone can take. I went through part of the test--enough to see that it
    requires much deeper knowledge of electricity and electronics than most
    of us would ever need to repair PCs. i.e. Testing your knowledge of
    electrical components, electrical formulas, assemblies (such as electric
    motors), etc.

    After seeing just their Associates exam, I have to say they are being
    generous to give us their Computer Service Technician certification for
    just a small fee and proof of our A+ certification.

    I recently got started on an independent study of electronics, for my
    own knowledge, and maybe I will pursue an E.E. degree. Taking their test
    let me know just how much I have to learn.

    If anyone else is interested in learning more about electronics, I can
    recommend 2 books to you: Getting Started in Electronics, by Forrest M.
    Mims, III, Master Publishing; and The Art of Electronics, by Paul
    Horowitz and Winfield Hill, Cambridge University Press, ISBN 0 521 37095
    7 hardback, Second Edition, last reprint 2001.

    John
    -------

    WinXP_Powered, Apr 2, 2006
  8. On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 23:24:38 -0600, WinXP_Powered
    <> wrote:

    >I researched this certification rollover more, after posting my initial
    >reaction to the emails a few of you received. I went to ETA-I.org and
    >looked at what's required to be a certified Computer Service Technician,
    >if you weren't already A+ Certified.
    >
    >All of their certifications have a prerequisite of passing an Associates
    >level exam first, then you take a Journeyman exam in your field. They
    >have a free Associates practice exam online with 150 questions, which
    >anyone can take. I went through part of the test--enough to see that it
    >requires much deeper knowledge of electricity and electronics than most
    >of us would ever need to repair PCs. i.e. Testing your knowledge of
    >electrical components, electrical formulas, assemblies (such as electric
    >motors), etc.

    This sounds similar to ISCEt's approach to certification, although
    they don't offer any credit for A+. I often toyed with the idea of
    doing the ISCET tests, but never got around to "pulling the trigger".
    Maybe someday... :)

    >After seeing just their Associates exam, I have to say they are being
    >generous to give us their Computer Service Technician certification for
    >just a small fee and proof of our A+ certification.
    >
    >I recently got started on an independent study of electronics, for my
    >own knowledge, and maybe I will pursue an E.E. degree. Taking their test
    >let me know just how much I have to learn.

    Electronics is an entirely different animal than PC repair; if you
    take it far enough, the math can get pretty deep. You are right; if
    this ETA certification is anything like ISCET's, they are giving
    credit for a LOT of knowledge that probably is not there. The
    necessity of this deeper knowledge is questionable, although its value
    is, in my opinion, unquestionable.

    >If anyone else is interested in learning more about electronics, I can
    >recommend 2 books to you: Getting Started in Electronics, by Forrest M.
    >Mims, III, Master Publishing; and The Art of Electronics, by Paul
    >Horowitz and Winfield Hill, Cambridge University Press, ISBN 0 521 37095
    >7 hardback, Second Edition, last reprint 2001.

    Here are some sites I found in the past...hopefully most are still
    working. I have no connection with any of these, they are simply sotes
    that caught my interest in the past, when I was more actively involved
    in electronics.

    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/g_knott/index1.htm

    http://www.twysted-pair.com/

    http://www.phys.ualberta.ca/~gingrich/phys395/notes/phys395.html

    http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/trinity/elec2.html

    http://www.sweethaven.com/sweethaven/ModElec/dcee/default.asp

    http://www.sweethaven.com/sweethaven/ModElec/acee/default.asp

    http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/ohm/index.html

    http://home.wxs.nl/~heuvelvdg/electronics/schematics.html

    http://www.cabl.com/restaurant/electronics.html

    http://zebu.uoregon.edu/1997/ph161/l2.html

    http://www.electronicstheory.com/

    http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/

    http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/

    http://www.tpub.com/neets/

    http://www.tpub.com/index.htm

    http://pcdi-homestudy.com/courses/el/outline.html

    The NEETS (US Navy electronics course) used to be found for free
    online from TPub, but I think it requires payment these days...from
    what I saw of it years ago, it is worth a fee (depending upon how
    badly you need the information to accomplish what you want to do, and
    what the asking price is). Because of its "static" nature at the basic
    level, used books are often just as good as new ones for basic
    electronics study.

    Here's a great site for those interested from a repair standpoint,
    just a fabulous resource...

    http://www.repairfaq.org/

    Finally, if your eyes suffer from looking at all of these sites,
    here's a site for sore eyes...

    http://www.pfizerch.com/brand.aspx?id=269 :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Apr 4, 2006