    are intended to interact with specific "features" of VISTA 64. Factual
    answers & Best Guesses are BOTH welcome.

    Thank you gentlemen...

    =?Utf-8?B?VGhlIFByaXNvbmVy?=, Aug 31, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VGhlIFByaXNvbmVy?=

    jabloomf1230 Guest

    Ummm, Vista x64 has been out in beta for awhile. A bit ragged, but it
    seems to work okay.

    jabloomf1230, Aug 31, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?VGhlIFByaXNvbmVy?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    x64 Edition is a niche product, and I don't think many vendors will worry
    about back porting their drivers to it once Vista is available. In a way,
    though, those of us who remember suffering throuth the dearth of drivers for
    Windows NT were pretty well delighted by the mainstream acceptance of Win2K
    Pro & Server. We should be equally happy to fondly remember how we suffered
    with x64 Edition on the way to 64-bit Vista. That's just how it goes.

    M. Murcek, Aug 31, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?VGhlIFByaXNvbmVy?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    BTW - Prisoner - I am not a number - I am a free man! Yeah!

    M. Murcek, Aug 31, 2006
  5. Unlike many who post here regularly, I do not think Vista x64 will help the
    driver situation for XP x64. Manufacturer's have to provide both Vista x86
    and x64 drivers to get the Vista logo for their products and so Vista x64
    will benefit but not XP x64. It takes more than being 64bits for a driver
    to work in one system and the other. It would be analogous to Win98 drivers
    when XP came out. Nothing really changed for Win98.

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 31, 2006
  6. Colin:
    The manufacturers replied to our requests for x64 drivers that they
    were waiting for Vista to release drivers for Windows x64. Now that Vista is
    nearly ready we will see how much bunk we were fed.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Aug 31, 2006
  7. Re: Do you think that driver/program support will be better now th

    Oh yeah..nothing like a hot, steaming bowl of fresh bunk to fill the belly.

    Colin: The one big thing that did change was the New Technology file system.
    Surely, I would hope, this would in itself lead to more (quantity) compatable
    drivers and programs.

    M. Murcek: "You won't get it!"
    "By hook or by crook, we WILL." How appropo........

    Be seeing you.............

    =?Utf-8?B?VGhlIFByaXNvbmVy?=, Sep 1, 2006
  8. Re: Do you think that driver/program support will be better now th

    I am not usually pessimistic, but I am about this one. I foresee the
    manufacturers begging off at the end with some nonsense about how XP Pro x64
    just never took off. I hope I'm wrong. Having said that, all my peripheral
    equipment works with inbox drivers that come with XP Pro x64 so I certainly
    have no complaints.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 1, 2006