    more attractive for people to take It and might make more revenue In
    increased volume.

    Opinions?

    Dsteenbock, Apr 22, 2006

  2. Dsteenbock

    SBFan2000 Guest

    If they lowered the price it would just be that much more worthless. :)

    Glenn

    "Dsteenbock" <> wrote in message
    > After reading many posts here and seeing the general consensus Is that the
    > value of the A plus cert Is declining, do you think 300 bucks Is too

    pricey
    > to take the tests? If they knocked 50 bucks off each test, It might make

    It

    SBFan2000, Apr 22, 2006

  3. Dsteenbock

    Dsteenbock Guest

    All very good points :)

    Dsteenbock, Apr 22, 2006
  4. Dsteenbock

    SBFan2000 Guest

    exactly, My job I have now requires it and I didn't even know it. My boss
    recently told me I was going to have to get it before my next toshiba tests.
    I told him I already had it. Evidently he didn't look at my resume.

    SBFan2000, Apr 23, 2006
  5. Dsteenbock

    pgluth1 Guest

    I think they should keep the prices of the tests the same - just improve
    the tests, keep them more up-to-date, and make the certification more
    worthwhile.

    pgluth1, Apr 23, 2006
  6. Dsteenbock

    JohnO Guest

    Barry Watzman wrote:
    > Keep in mind that the testing fees don't just pay the cost of you taking
    > the tests; they pay the cost of the entire certification program,
    > including administration and writing of the tests.

    And that's not just CompTIA, either. The test site and either Prometric
    or VUE also have their fingers in the pie, too. CompTIA is the biggest
    share, and over the years they've used A+ revenue to grow from,
    literally, five people in a cluttered office to a much larger
    organization today.

    There's almost no chance they are going to lower test fees. As it
    stands now their educational branch, E2C, has enough trouble internally
    justifying its special pricing for high schools.

    If anyone is comparing to CompTIA to Microsoft, keep in mind that MS
    uses its exams to sell product and can afford to "give away" exams.

    -John O

    JohnO, Apr 24, 2006
  7. Dsteenbock

    Patty Guest

    On 24 Apr 2006 04:25:27 -0700, JohnO wrote:

    > Barry Watzman wrote:
    >> Keep in mind that the testing fees don't just pay the cost of you taking
    >> the tests; they pay the cost of the entire certification program,
    >> including administration and writing of the tests.
    >>

    > And that's not just CompTIA, either. The test site and either Prometric
    > or VUE also have their fingers in the pie, too. CompTIA is the biggest
    > share, and over the years they've used A+ revenue to grow from,
    > literally, five people in a cluttered office to a much larger
    > organization today.
    >
    > There's almost no chance they are going to lower test fees. As it
    > stands now their educational branch, E2C, has enough trouble internally
    > justifying its special pricing for high schools.
    >
    > If anyone is comparing to CompTIA to Microsoft, keep in mind that MS
    > uses its exams to sell product and can afford to "give away" exams.
    >
    > -John O

    CompTIA certifications are forever. Microsoft is only as good as for how
    long the software is considered "current".

    I find it interesting that I recently purchased two vouchers for my A+
    tests for $140 total through the VoTech Center I attend.

    Patty

    Patty, Apr 24, 2006
  8. Dsteenbock

    JohnO Guest

    > I find it interesting that I recently purchased two vouchers for my A+
    > tests for $140 total through the VoTech Center I attend.

    That's because your school is part of the E2C (Education-2-Careers)
    program at CompTIA. With this program, your school can purchase
    vouchers in lots of ten (I think) at great prices.

    -John O

    JohnO, Apr 25, 2006
  9. Dsteenbock

    MF Guest

    Yes. I started teaching A+ classes in 1998. Shortly thereafter, having
    discovered the amount of disposable income most of my students had, I wrote
    a letter to CompTIA suggesting they lower their prices. A friendly letter.
    They ignored it. Then I wrote an angry letter. They ignored that, too.
    Their prices have been too high for a long time, the writing of their test
    questions has been wretched for a long time - and they are impervious to
    complaints, even from people who have already paid the price and understood
    the lousy writing - so they ain't gonna change.

    One pleasant thought about their gouging: MSFT has begun encroaching ever so
    slightly into their space. I generally object to MSFTs policy of embracing,
    devouring, and digesting, and, um, eliminating, but in this case I kinda
    hope MSFT will devour CompTIA and shit them out as wooden nickels.

    Sadly, though, they won't. CompTia doesn't have anything they really need,
    and money-wise comptia is worth no more than sticking a toe in the water, as
    in publishing a security + text book and allowing a Comptia cert to qualify
    as part of an MSFT cert. The embrace has begun, but I doubt it will go far.

    Mike
    A+
    MCSE nt4
    MCSE 2k
    MCSE 2k3
    AND as they say in spy movies, jeeez, i'm too old for this crap.

    MF, Apr 28, 2006
  10. Dsteenbock

    JohnO Guest

    MF wrote:
    > Yes. I started teaching A+ classes in 1998. Shortly thereafter, having
    > discovered the amount of disposable income most of my students had, I wrote
    > a letter to CompTIA suggesting they lower their prices. A friendly letter.
    > They ignored it. Then I wrote an angry letter. They ignored that, too.
    > Their prices have been too high for a long time, the writing of their test
    > questions has been wretched for a long time - and they are impervious to
    > complaints, even from people who have already paid the price and understood
    > the lousy writing - so they ain't gonna change.

    In about '97 I started telling people inside CompTIA that they needed
    to give instructors free looks at the exams, and like you, severely
    discounted vouchers for students. There were lots of us telling them
    the same thing. It took until 2001 to roll out a program, and then for
    a few years the resulting Jobs+ group was being flamed by other CompTIA
    departments for undercutting exam revenues. I'm not making that up.

    When the IT market deflated, they finally realized they needed to pay
    attention to schools, but they missed the big opportunities anyway.

    Watch for a major change in the A+ exam structure to be announced
    Monday. Will the net price of the exams increase? We'll see.

    -John O

    JohnO, Apr 28, 2006
  11. Dsteenbock

    MF Guest

    JohnO" <> wrote in message

    > MF wrote:
    >> Yes. I started teaching A+ classes in 1998. Shortly thereafter, having
    >> discovered the amount of disposable income most of my students had, I
    >> wrote
    >> a letter to CompTIA suggesting they lower their prices. A friendly
    >> letter.
    >> They ignored it. Then I wrote an angry letter. They ignored that, too.
    >> Their prices have been too high for a long time, the writing of their
    >> test
    >> questions has been wretched for a long time - and they are impervious to
    >> complaints, even from people who have already paid the price and
    >> understood
    >> the lousy writing - so they ain't gonna change.

    > In about '97 I started telling people inside CompTIA that they needed
    > to give instructors free looks at the exams, and like you, severely
    > discounted vouchers for students. There were lots of us telling them
    > the same thing. It took until 2001 to roll out a program, and then for
    > a few years the resulting Jobs+ group was being flamed by other CompTIA
    > departments for undercutting exam revenues. I'm not making that up.
    >
    > When the IT market deflated, they finally realized they needed to pay
    > attention to schools, but they missed the big opportunities anyway.
    >
    > Watch for a major change in the A+ exam structure to be announced
    > Monday. Will the net price of the exams increase? We'll see.
    >
    > -John O

    Interesting. Went back and looked at your other posts, and it's quite
    true - they came from nothing to the state of a minor Cert powerhouse on the
    strength of their overpriced tests -- and the need for HR and ##other
    departments, not just HR## to have a reason to say no, and winnow the
    applicants.

    It's also interesting that some posters opine that these requirements to
    have this or that cert are bogus. That may be true vaguely true, but it's
    the way the world works, so the truth of it is irrelevant to the job at hand
    : getting hired. A couple easy examples: does anyone really think it
    takes a college degree to sell software? _Almost_ anyone who can sell real
    estate can sell software - but most software companies will not interview
    you unless you have that degree. And, from personal experience: I taught
    A+ a little of the MCSE track at Drexel University,, one of the top twenty
    technical (engineering) schools in the country. It was very pleasant, the
    pay was good - untill they realized they had got into the Certification
    program too late and terminated it. I got the job because I had a masters
    degree. It was completely irrelevant to what I was doing - but they
    required it and I had it. Ba-bing.

    The universe of employment requires thousands of irrelevancies - and the A+
    cert is one of the lesser offenders. But the tests are still far too
    expensive - and as always, they provide discounts to the folks at
    institutions, rather than the folks who are trying to do it on their own.

    Mike

    MF, May 1, 2006
  12. Dsteenbock

    JohnO Guest

    > But the tests are still far too
    > expensive - and as always, they provide discounts to the folks at
    > institutions, rather than the folks who are trying to do it on their own.

    I think they believe they have a captive market for a defacto standard
    certification. However, the last time I took the test it was
    awful...lots and lots of poorly-written questions, poor discrimination,
    and the engine for selecting them from the pool randomly was clearly
    unfinished. And the pool was *way* too large. If a tech had any clue,
    AND had the ability to "play" an exam, you couldn't miss.

    The upcoming changes *could* restore some of the rigor and lustre to
    this exam. I'd certainly like to see it become a bit harder to obtain,
    but for that to happen they need better question writers. Unfortunately
    that's unlikely because they have excluded the professional writers,
    leaving the task to geeks (who are great techs but not so good at
    writing).

    Yes, it's far too expensive today. But if they could tighten it up and
    reduce the prices there's a chance they could make up the
    difference--and more--in added volume.

    -John O

    JohnO, May 2, 2006