    mark_digital Guest

    It was claymation davey and his dog goliath and they always had an
    upbeat story like a parable.
    mark_digital, Jul 5, 2004

  2. mark_digital

    Woodsy Niles Guest

    (mark_digital) wrote in
    news:

    > It was claymation davey and his dog goliath and they always had an
    > upbeat story like a parable.

    That sounds blasphemus.

    --
    Wood

    "Donkeys can talk, people can fly, and a man named Jesus lives in the
    Sky!"
    Woodsy Niles, Jul 5, 2004

  3. mark_digital

    JTEM Guest

    "Woodsy Niles" <> wrote

    > (mark_digital) wrote
    > > It was claymation davey and his dog goliath and they always had
    > > an upbeat story like a parable.

    > That sounds blasphemus.

    It must be. It's their image on the signs for the "Creation" camp at
    one of the local churches here.
    JTEM, Jul 5, 2004
  4. mark_digital

    Sean C Guest

    In article <>,
    mark_digital <> wrote:

    > It was claymation davey and his dog goliath and they always had an
    > upbeat story like a parable.

    I always liked that show as a kid. I even liked the opening music, "A
    Mighty Fortress is our God" by Martin Luther. I don't remember any of
    the religious angle, though. I'd love to see it again.

    Sean C

    Sean C, Jul 5, 2004
  5. mark_digital

    Woodsy Niles Guest

    "JTEM" <> wrote in

    > "Woodsy Niles" <> wrote
    >
    >> (mark_digital) wrote
    >> > It was claymation davey and his dog goliath and they always had
    >> > an upbeat story like a parable.

    >> That sounds blasphemus.

    > It must be. It's their image on the signs for the "Creation" camp at
    > one of the local churches here.

    They're all going to hell.

    Woodsy Niles, Jul 5, 2004
  6. mark_digital

    MAK Guest

    "mark_digital" <> wrote in message
    > It was claymation davey and his dog goliath and they always had an
    > upbeat story like a parable.

    My understanding is that the show was produced by the ELCA.
    MAK, Jul 5, 2004
  7. mark_digital

    YoYo Guest

    Didn't that come on after Gumby haha ROFL....

    YoYo, Jul 5, 2004
  8. "mark_digital" <> wrote in message
    > It was claymation davey and his dog goliath and they always had an
    > upbeat story like a parable.

    Yes, TBN still broadcasts that show.
    Robert Schneider, Jul 5, 2004
  9. mark_digital

    scott Guest

    "MAK" <> wrote in message

    > "mark_digital" <> wrote in message
    > > It was claymation davey and his dog goliath and they always had an
    > > upbeat story like a parable.

    > My understanding is that the show was produced by the ELCA.

    Strictly speaking it was produced by the LCA in the early 1960's.
    Since the LCA eventually became the ELCA the ELCA probably
    holds the rights to the show.
    scott, Jul 5, 2004
  10. mark_digital

    raven1 Guest

    On 4 Jul 2004 20:50:56 -0700, (mark_digital)
    wrote:

    >It was claymation davey and his dog goliath and they always had an
    >upbeat story like a parable.

    Ah, yes. Goliath was always giving him advice, like "But Davey, Pastor
    says you'll go blind if you do that!"...
    raven1, Jul 5, 2004
  11. "Sean C" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > mark_digital <> wrote:
    >
    > > It was claymation davey and his dog goliath and they always had an
    > > upbeat story like a parable.

    > I always liked that show as a kid. I even liked the opening music,

    "A
    > Mighty Fortress is our God" by Martin Luther. I don't remember any

    of
    > the religious angle, though. I'd love to see it again.
    >
    > Sean C

    IIRC, the show was sponsored by the Lutheran Church.
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Jul 5, 2004
  12. mark_digital

    David Buckna Guest

    David Buckna, Jul 6, 2004
  13. mark_digital

    Paul H. Guest

    > It was claymation davey and his dog goliath and they always had an
    > upbeat story like a parable.

    Depends upon what you mean by "upbeat": I remember being disappointed that
    Davey didn't slam a rock between Goliath's eyes and kill the annoying,
    self-righteous mutt. So much for Biblical accuracy.

    G: "You're sure twirling that sling mighty fast, Daaaaaveey!"

    <Camera pans to Davey who has an evil smirk playing across his face>

    G: "Slings can be dangerous without adult supervision, Daaaveeey"

    <Davey releases one end of the sling and a meaty thunk is heard from off
    camera, immediately followed by a yelp and a thud. Davey screws up his
    face and mimics former President Ford's voice during the Nixon pardon
    speech.>

    D: "The long national nightmare is over!" <maniacally laughs until out of
    breath, slapping his knee>

    <Davey casually walks over to Goliath's prostrate body, prods it with a toe,
    turns his head and spits.>

    D: Guess I need me a new dog . One that knows when to keeping its freakin'
    mouth shut, this time.

    <Davey begins walking off, practicing excuses>

    D: Honest, Mom, he just sort of fell over! No...wait... Hey, how about,
    "Dad! Goliath was hit by a meteor! It was amazing! And so scary! Why did
    God kill my doggie, Dad?" Yeah, that's the ticket... blame God... what a
    gimmick... better than cross-posting, even!

    <Fade to black>

    Sigh... memories...
    Paul H., Jul 6, 2004
  14. "scott" <> wrote in message news:<uDgGc.13464$>...
    > "MAK" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "mark_digital" <> wrote in message
    > > > It was claymation davey and his dog goliath and they always had an
    > > > upbeat story like a parable.

    > > My understanding is that the show was produced by the ELCA.
    > >

    > Strictly speaking it was produced by the LCA in the early 1960's.
    > Since the LCA eventually became the ELCA the ELCA probably
    > holds the rights to the show.

    I have seen it. It was funded by a grant made to the LCA in response
    to a perceived need for a childrens' show. It was pretty cool.
    Sh'ma-Yisrael, Jul 7, 2004
  15. mark_digital

    David Buckna Guest

    (David Buckna) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (mark_digital) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > It was claymation davey and his dog goliath and they always had an
    > > upbeat story like a parable.

    > See:
    >
    > http://www.daveyandgoliath.org
    >
    > http://www.daveyandgoliath.org/update.html

    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/feat...0204aug02,0,71557.story?coll=orl-home-entlife

    Davey and Goliath to the rescue

    Lutherans hope that a couple of TV characters from long ago can
    instill timeless values in kids today.
    By Mark I. Pinsky
    Sentinel Staff Writer

    August 2, 2004

    By the elaborate standards of today's ultra-slick, multimillion-dollar
    vacation Bible school industry, "Davey and Goliath's Camp Creation" at
    Emmanuel Episcopal Church in Orlando is a modest affair.

    There are none of the banners, props or costumes typical of other camp
    packages at this small church. Just a music CD with sing-along lyrics,
    hand-copied onto an overhead-transparency screen. And DVDs of vintage
    segments from Davey and Goliath.

    The classic, stop-motion animated television series was developed by
    the Lutheran Church in the late 1950s. The 15-minute segments feature
    a good-natured but mischievous boy who tends to make the wrong
    choices, and his drawling dog, who suggests the right path. Adult
    humans, parents and a minister also give Davey guidance.

    There are lots of theories about what is needed to turn around a
    mainline Protestant denomination in decline, but few have ever thought
    the answer might be a clueless animated boy and his canine conscience.
    For the five-million strong Evangelical Lutheran Church in America,
    whose membership is aging, Davey and Goliath may be the route to
    salvation.

    After three years, the ELCA's effort to revive the characters is
    gaining momentum, with a national soft-drink commercial, a Christmas
    television special and a growing line of merchandise, in addition to
    the vacation Bible school curriculum, offered for the first time this
    summer.

    "Like many mainline Protestant denominations, we are struggling with
    how to be effective in a culture that represents both a spiritual
    desert and a spiritual jungle," the Rev. Mark Hanson, presiding bishop
    of the ELCA, said in a 2001 Sentinel interview.

    "We are always asking ourselves, 'How do we convey the heart of the
    Gospel story to those who are not flocking to our churches?' "

    Old-fashioned, relevant

    The Davey and Goliath video messages are direct, if a little
    old-fashioned, which is fine with Emmanuel's children's minister,
    Barbi Worswick.

    "They're so simple," she says. "The lessons are timeless. The values
    are timeless."

    The old programs deal with real-life situations, such as cleaning your
    room, treating others fairly, working together and taking your
    responsibilities seriously. God is mentioned, but the touch is light.
    There was also racial diversity; even in the early 1960s, white Davey
    had an African-American friend.

    At first, Worswick thought the crude animation -- the predecessor to
    claymation -- might not hold the children's interest, given the far
    more sophisticated fare most are now accustomed to watching on
    television, computer and movie screens.

    But she is delighted that most of the 35 children attending the
    five-day session are entranced.

    "I think they're really good," says Jessica Chavez, 10, of Orlando.
    "They send morals out. I like that they're pretty simple. You can get
    the message. You don't have to guess."

    Alex van den Berg, also 10, of Winter Park, agrees.

    "It could be a little fancier, but it doesn't bother me," he says.

    The segments are shown in Emmanuel's chapel as the last activity of
    the half-day program.

    At the morning chapel gathering that opens each day's program, the
    Rev. Malcolm Murchison, Emmanuel's pastor, sometimes asks the kids
    what lessons they learned from the previous day's segment.

    "The series emphasizes God's love for children, and the wisdom of
    parents," says the Rev. Eric Shafer, director of communications for
    the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. "Those are themes that
    resonate with people of all faiths -- and with people of no faith."

    Clearly, the vacation Bible school curriculum, developed by the
    denomination's publishing house, Augsburg Fortress, is reaching
    congregations beyond the ELCA.

    More than 5,000 copies of the curriculum have been sold this year,
    about half to Lutheran congregations, the denomination says. Those
    churches, in turn, are reaching beyond their own membership for the
    vacation Bible school.

    At Emmanuel Episcopal, for example, about half of the children
    attending are from families that are not members. And throughout
    Central Florida, Methodist and Congregational churches also have used
    the Davey and Goliath curriculum.

    Ad-campaign tradeoff

    Davey and Goliath have proved to be a durable commodity, so bathed in
    the glow of baby-boomer nostalgia that they have been mocked by The
    Simpsons. Since the early 1980s, more than 600,000 videocassettes of
    the Davey and Goliath episodes have been sold, and the prospect of a
    DVD release holds the promise of even greater sales.

    The Lutherans developed the series with Art Clokey, creator of the
    equally beloved Gumby and Pokey. Davey and Goliath ran from 1960 to
    the early 1970s, with reruns airing weekends through the mid-1980s.

    In its most visible recent foray, the Lutherans licensed the boy and
    his dog for a 30-second Mountain Dew commercial, which ran nationally
    between February 2002 and February 2003. The spot turned Goliath's
    line, "Oh, Davey," into a teen catchphrase.

    "We benefited; they benefited," says Shafer of the deal with the
    soft-drink company. "It was a win-win situation. In addition to the
    licensing fee, it brought Davey to a new generation."

    Some in the denomination objected to hyping a sugary, caffeinated
    drink to children. Others complained about Davey's ironically
    out-of-character line, "We got hosed."

    "We did have some criticism about the language in the spot, as well as
    about the product," Shafer says. "We justified it. It was a tradeoff."

    Then, in 2003, a documentary about the history of the show, called Oh
    Davey! aired on ABC affiliates. The denomination is now shopping a new
    holiday special, Davey and Goliath's Snowboard Christmas -- financed
    in part by the Mountain Dew fee -- to commercial broadcast and cable
    networks. It is also stop-motion animation.

    During the past three years, the denomination has produced and
    licensed merchandise ranging from T-shirts and key chains to Davey and
    Goliath figures with bobbing heads.

    Shifting to the Davey and Goliath curriculum this year has raised
    Augsburg Fortress' vacation Bible school revenue by $300,000,
    according to the publisher. Next summer's curriculum, already being
    marketed, is "Davey and Goliath's Circus Spectacular." It, too, uses
    segments from the old series. A book titled Life Lessons from Davey
    and Goliath was published in 2003.

    Last week, the denomination signed a deal with Scholastic Books, the
    world's largest publisher and distributor of children's books, to
    create coloring and activity books based on the series.

    A denomination Web site devoted to Davey and Goliath, which includes
    suggestions about how to use the series in ministry, is averaging
    5,000 visitors a week.

    For Lutherans, raising enough interest -- and money -- to relaunch
    Davey and Goliath with a season of new episodes is the ultimate goal.

    "Children in the 21st century are hungry for God's love," says the
    ELCA's Shafer. "We want to feed them."

    Mark I. Pinsky can be reached at or
    407-420-5589.
    ===
    Davey and Goliath's Snowboard Christmas [2004 TV Special]
    http://www.daveyandgoliath.org/snowboard/story.html
    ---
    http://www.elca.org/Scriptlib/CO/ELCA_News/encArticleList.asp?a=2870&p=4

    ELCA NEWS SERVICE

    July 27, 2004

    ELCA and Scholastic Initiate Agreement
    04-136-MR

         CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
    (ELCA) and Scholastic have entered into a new agreement this summer in
    an effort to bring "Davey and Goliath" to a new generation of
    children.  Scholastic is the world's largest publisher and distributor
    of children's books.

    [snip]
    David Buckna, Aug 4, 2004
  16. <snip>

    Yes, I remember it. The dog freaked me out, man... I mean with that
    deep, dopey voice, he just reminded me of some demon from the 9th
    dimension of Hell or something. Davey was okay, though.
    --
    L8r,
    Uncle Dollar Bill
    Uncle Dollar Bill, Aug 4, 2004