Do you Rearly need VISTA...??

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jack Hammond, Oct 4, 2006.

  1. Jack Hammond

    Jack Hammond Guest

    Jack Hammond, Oct 4, 2006

  2. Jack Hammond

    XPD Guest

    "Jack Hammond" <jm@yah***.com> wrote in message
    news:eek:...

    > Its seems that XP can do most of the things that Vista can
    >

    > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_xp_apps.asp

    And 98 can do most of the things XP can.
    So whyd we upgrade ?
    Because we're consumers and we fall for MS's BS :)
    XPD, Oct 4, 2006

  3. Jack Hammond

    David Guest

    David, Oct 4, 2006
  4. In article <>,
    says...

    > And 98 can do most of the things XP can.
    > So whyd we upgrade ?
    > Because we're consumers and we fall for MS's BS :)

    2 out of 3 comps in our house still run 98 for that reason. The third machine's
    NVidia based mobo just wouldn't work with 98 drivers, even though they were
    included on the CD :-(

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Oct 4, 2006
  5. Jack Hammond

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Jack Hammond" <jm@yah***.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Its seems that XP can do most of the things that Vista can
    >>
    >> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_xp_apps.asp

    > And 98 can do most of the things XP can.
    > So whyd we upgrade ?
    > Because we're consumers and we fall for MS's BS :)

    For the average user maybe. As a power user, I couldn't go back to 98.
    Lacking too much functionality. I imagine Vista will be the same after I've
    had it for a while, though it won't be because of any of the apps mentioned
    above, it will just be the overall improvements to the underlying OS.
    Nik Coughlin, Oct 5, 2006
  6. Jack Hammond

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Fred Dagg, Oct 5, 2006
  7. Jack Hammond

    Guest

    , Oct 5, 2006
  8. Jack Hammond

    Jack Hammond Guest

    On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 12:46:38 +1300, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    >XPD wrote:
    >> "Jack Hammond" <jm@yah***.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Its seems that XP can do most of the things that Vista can
    >>>
    >>> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_xp_apps.asp

    >> And 98 can do most of the things XP can.
    >> So whyd we upgrade ?
    >> Because we're consumers and we fall for MS's BS :)

    >For the average user maybe. As a power user, I couldn't go back to 98.
    >Lacking too much functionality. I imagine Vista will be the same after I've
    >had it for a while, though it won't be because of any of the apps mentioned
    >above, it will just be the overall improvements to the underlying OS.

    Plus all the Added DRM and now ALL versions require validation..

    No you can keep it..

    Its has cost me a small fortune to keep up with the mad MS Race to rip every one off.
    Jack Hammond, Oct 5, 2006
  9. Jack Hammond

    Shane Guest

    Jack Hammond <jm@yah***.com wrote:

    > On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 12:46:38 +1300, "Nik Coughlin" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>XPD wrote:
    >>> "Jack Hammond" <jm@yah***.com> wrote in message

    >>> And 98 can do most of the things XP can.
    >>> So whyd we upgrade ?
    >>> Because we're consumers and we fall for MS's BS :)

    >>For the average user maybe. As a power user, I couldn't go back to 98.
    >>Lacking too much functionality. I imagine Vista will be the same after
    >>I've had it for a while, though it won't be because of any of the apps
    >>mentioned above, it will just be the overall improvements to the
    >>underlying OS.
    >>

    > Plus all the Added DRM and now ALL versions require validation..
    >
    > No you can keep it..
    >
    > Its has cost me a small fortune to keep up with the mad MS Race to rip
    > every one off.

    Ever thought of giving lunix a go :p
    --
    Fry: I'm literally angry with rage.

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Oct 5, 2006
  10. Jack Hammond

    MaHogany Guest

    On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 10:39:03 +1300, XPD wrote:

    >> Its seems that XP can do most of the things that Vista can
    >>

    >> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_xp_apps.asp

    > And 98 can do most of the things XP can.
    > So whyd we upgrade ?
    > Because we're consumers and we fall for MS's BS :)

    You might. I haven't.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    "The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
    fries with that, if prompted."
    MaHogany, Oct 5, 2006
  11. Jack Hammond

    MaHogany Guest

    On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 12:46:38 +1300, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > For the average user maybe. As a power user, I couldn't go back to 98.
    > Lacking too much functionality. I imagine Vista will be the same after I've
    > had it for a while, though it won't be because of any of the apps mentioned
    > above, it will just be the overall improvements to the underlying OS

    Hmmm...

    Digital Restrictions Management implemented at all levels of the OS -
    including within digital monitors.

    Near constant pestering of users about things that either they should have
    permission to do or should not be permitted to do.

    Huge wasteage of CPU and RAM resources.

    Poor support for 32bit software on 64bit hardware.

    Is that really what you describe as "overall improvements"?

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 5, 2006
  12. Jack Hammond

    Jack Hammond Guest

    Re: Do you Realy need VISTA...??

    On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 12:46:38 +1300, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    >XPD wrote:
    >> "Jack Hammond" <jm@yah***.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Its seems that XP can do most of the things that Vista can
    >>>
    >>> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_xp_apps.asp

    >> And 98 can do most of the things XP can.
    >> So whyd we upgrade ?
    >> Because we're consumers and we fall for MS's BS :)

    >For the average user maybe. As a power user, I couldn't go back to 98.
    >Lacking too much functionality. I imagine Vista will be the same after I've
    >had it for a while, though it won't be because of any of the apps mentioned
    >above, it will just be the overall improvements to the underlying OS.

    Plus all the Added DRM and now ALL versions require validation..

    No you can keep it..

    Its has cost me a small fortune to keep up with the mad MS Race to rip every one off.

    Read some more

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061004...P0Rzp3sdVAjtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTA0cDJlYmhvBHNlYwM-

    http://www.tcmagazine.info/comments.php?shownews=12392&catid=5

    http://news.com.com/2100-7355_3-6122462.html?part=rss&tag=6122462&subj=news

    Is this really a OS...?

    Or some sort of Prison..?
    Jack Hammond, Oct 5, 2006
  13. Jack Hammond

    TomC Guest

    MaHogany wrote:
    > On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 12:46:38 +1300, Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    >> For the average user maybe. As a power user, I couldn't go back to 98.
    >> Lacking too much functionality. I imagine Vista will be the same after I've
    >> had it for a while, though it won't be because of any of the apps mentioned
    >> above, it will just be the overall improvements to the underlying OS

    Win 98 is no longer supported with critical updates....Any
    security minded person would not use it on the net.
    Even humans have a use-by date

    Cheers Tom
    TomC, Oct 5, 2006
  14. Jack Hammond

    MaHogany Guest

    On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 19:47:55 +1300, TomC wrote:

    > MaHogany wrote:
    >> On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 12:46:38 +1300, Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >>
    >>> For the average user maybe. As a power user, I couldn't go back to
    >>> 98. Lacking too much functionality. I imagine Vista will be the same
    >>> after I've had it for a while, though it won't be because of any of
    >>> the apps mentioned above, it will just be the overall improvements to
    >>> the underlying OS

    > Win 98 is no longer supported with critical updates....Any security
    > minded person would not use it on the net. Even humans have a use-by
    > date
    >
    > Cheers Tom

    The same can be said for Windoze XP.

    High time you upgraded your software to something better than what M$ can
    produce.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 5, 2006
  15. Jack Hammond

    thingy Guest

    Jack Hammond wrote:

    > Its seems that XP can do most of the things that Vista can
    >

    > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_xp_apps.asp

    Some MS released games Halo2? will be Vista only I believe....funny but
    most real games companies want to sell games, so if its easy to make run
    on 98, they will sell a 98 version.....not so MS who want to drive yet
    more lockin.....

    Finally having to bite bullet (well after xmas anyway) and get a
    hardware upgrade, I have games here that only run on XP so will just
    have to.....vista can wait 3 or 4 years....

    ;]

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Oct 5, 2006
  16. In article <eg29og$htn$>, says...

    > Win 98 is no longer supported with critical updates....Any
    > security minded person would not use it on the net.
    > Even humans have a use-by date
    >
    > Cheers Tom

    You got that back to front: win98 does not have a number of the vulnerabilities
    that were introduced by XP. With some simple free 3rd party software like
    Sygate firewall and AVG antivir it's just as bombproof if not more so as XP at
    the latest patch level.

    I won't even install most XP patches because of 'payload' issues. Stopped at
    SP1 and, again, installed 3rd party software to secure ship. Works fine for me.
    I don't miss those 'critical updates' one little bit :)

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Oct 5, 2006
  17. T'was the Thu, 5 Oct 2006 22:02:41 +1300 when I remembered Peter
    Huebner <> saying something like this:

    >You got that back to front: win98 does not have a number of the vulnerabilities
    >that were introduced by XP. With some simple free 3rd party software like
    >Sygate firewall and AVG antivir it's just as bombproof if not more so as XP at
    >the latest patch level.

    Not from a memory management point of view. I like the idea of not
    having to restart my computer when an application kills Explorer.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Oct 5, 2006
  18. Jack Hammond

    MaHogany Guest

    On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 22:31:36 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > Not from a memory management point of view. I like the idea of not
    > having to restart my computer when an application kills Explorer.

    So you'll very much like Linux - it's got superior memory management -
    especially when compared with anything produced by Micro$oft.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 5, 2006
  19. Jack Hammond

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    Waylon Kenning <> wrote:

    >Not from a memory management point of view. I like the idea of not
    >having to restart my computer when an application kills Explorer.

    The 3rd party security products protect you from external threats,
    but do not protect you from Microsoft.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, Oct 5, 2006
  20. In article <>,
    says...
    > Not from a memory management point of view. I like the idea of not
    > having to restart my computer when an application kills Explorer.

    Point taken. Then again, I used to run '98 for a week and more at a time
    without reboots becoming necessary. And XP pro still goes fubar on me every
    month or three with corrupted memory ... it's gotten much better though, as you
    say.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Oct 5, 2006