Do you realy Need HD TV..?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jack Hammond, Oct 9, 2006.

  1. Jack Hammond

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Kent Smith wrote:
    > "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mutley" <> wrote in message

    > > Hey Steve you might want to redo those images in a non lossy format. Jpg
    > > adds its own compression artifacts.
    > >

    > And your "1080i" is "1080p" :)

    Some 1080 sets will show 1080i as 1080p as the don't really do
    interlaced. Always an interesting one of how to show a screen capture
    of a 1080i signal. Any recommendations?

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Oct 11, 2006

  2. In message <>, Steven
    Ellis wrote:

    > Some 1080 sets will show 1080i as 1080p as the don't really do
    > interlaced. Always an interesting one of how to show a screen capture
    > of a 1080i signal. Any recommendations?

    Something moving, so the discrepancy between alternate scan-lines becomes
    obvious.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 11, 2006

  3. Jack Hammond

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Steven
    > Ellis wrote:
    >
    > > Some 1080 sets will show 1080i as 1080p as the don't really do
    > > interlaced. Always an interesting one of how to show a screen capture
    > > of a 1080i signal. Any recommendations?

    > Something moving, so the discrepancy between alternate scan-lines becomes
    > obvious.

    Tried that at one point which leads into the following comment
    "Why is the picture so bad"
    and then you have to explain the whole interlaced/deinterlaced picture
    thing which most consumers don't understand.

    Ho Hum..

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Oct 11, 2006
  4. Jack Hammond

    Richard Guest

    Steven Ellis wrote:
    > Jack Hammond wrote:
    >> Seems to be its not a fully compatible standard and still up in the air.
    >>

    >> http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2006/10/07/alphabet_soup/

    > There is an interesting article here
    > http://openmedia.co.nz/openmedia/content/view/51/62/ which compares
    > existing NZ Analogue TV and the pending FreeView digital TV network.
    > Shows just how much better an SDTV Widescreen signal looks compared to
    > existing 4:3 analogue TV on a large modern 720p or 1080i screen.

    There is something majorly wrong with that guys analog reception and the
    addition of jpegging it over the noisy images makes it look worse again.

    Richard, Oct 11, 2006
  5. Jack Hammond

    Richard Guest

    Steven Ellis wrote:

    > Some 1080 sets will show 1080i as 1080p as the don't really do
    > interlaced. Always an interesting one of how to show a screen capture
    > of a 1080i signal. Any recommendations?

    Anything that isnt a CRT will display 1080i as progressive, which is why
    converting 720p up to 1080i is a huge step backwards since it has to be
    deinterlaced at the other end of the cable to display on the flat panel.

    Richard, Oct 11, 2006
  6. Jack Hammond

    Mutley Guest

    steve <> wrote:

    >Jack Hammond <jm@yah***.com wrote:
    >

    >> Seems to be its not a fully compatible standard and still up in the air.
    >>
    >> http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2006/10/07/alphabet_soup/

    >If you want a crystal clear picture on a TV the size of a dinner table, then
    >you need HDTV.
    >
    >Otherwise....sit closer to the 14" TV and enjoy the quality. :)
    >
    >I do.

    Maybe we need one of these.. http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14092

    Vaporware or real..??

    Mutley, Oct 11, 2006
  7. Jack Hammond

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Mutley" <> wrote in message
    > steve <> wrote:
    >
    >>Jack Hammond <jm@yah***.com wrote:
    >>

    >>> Seems to be its not a fully compatible standard and still up in the air.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2006/10/07/alphabet_soup/

    >>If you want a crystal clear picture on a TV the size of a dinner table,
    >>then
    >>you need HDTV.
    >>
    >>Otherwise....sit closer to the 14" TV and enjoy the quality. :)
    >>
    >>I do.

    > Maybe we need one of these.. http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14092
    >
    > Vaporware or real..??

    Don't know if this is the same thing:
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/16/mitsubishi-develops-laser-powered-projection-tv/

    Pity no mitsi resellers in NZ anymore (that I know of) since Melco dropped
    them.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Oct 11, 2006
  8. Jack Hammond

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Steven Ellis wrote:
    > > Jack Hammond wrote:
    > >> Seems to be its not a fully compatible standard and still up in the air.
    > >>

    > >> http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2006/10/07/alphabet_soup/

    > > There is an interesting article here
    > > http://openmedia.co.nz/openmedia/content/view/51/62/ which compares
    > > existing NZ Analogue TV and the pending FreeView digital TV network.
    > > Shows just how much better an SDTV Widescreen signal looks compared to
    > > existing 4:3 analogue TV on a large modern 720p or 1080i screen.

    > There is something majorly wrong with that guys analog reception and the
    > addition of jpegging it over the noisy images makes it look worse again.

    Actually I have excellent analogue reception. Better than a lot of
    people I know. There is a touch of ghosting I know, but otherwise quite
    watchable by NZ standards.

    The captures were done using a Hauppauge PVR-150 MPEG-2 capture card at
    an average bit rate of 5.6 Mb. Comparing the JPEG images on the net
    with the original non-compressed screen captures shows very little
    difference.

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Oct 11, 2006
  9. Jack Hammond

    Richard Guest

    Steven Ellis wrote:

    > Actually I have excellent analogue reception. Better than a lot of
    > people I know. There is a touch of ghosting I know, but otherwise quite
    > watchable by NZ standards.
    >
    > The captures were done using a Hauppauge PVR-150 MPEG-2 capture card at
    > an average bit rate of 5.6 Mb. Comparing the JPEG images on the net
    > with the original non-compressed screen captures shows very little
    > difference.

    What deinterlacing was performed on the image? I find I get similar
    effects if I use some of the crap modes in dscaler when watching tv.

    Also, I think reception out of auckland is worse then auckland because
    they have to sent it down country. I know when I was in chch the picture
    was horrible despite having good LOS to the site and a decent looking
    antenna.

    Richard, Oct 12, 2006
  10. Jack Hammond

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Steven Ellis wrote:
    >
    > > Actually I have excellent analogue reception. Better than a lot of
    > > people I know. There is a touch of ghosting I know, but otherwise quite
    > > watchable by NZ standards.
    > >
    > > The captures were done using a Hauppauge PVR-150 MPEG-2 capture card at
    > > an average bit rate of 5.6 Mb. Comparing the JPEG images on the net
    > > with the original non-compressed screen captures shows very little
    > > difference.

    > What deinterlacing was performed on the image? I find I get similar
    > effects if I use some of the crap modes in dscaler when watching tv.

    Deinterlacing was using kerndeint from Donald Graft which produces
    about the best quality. The de-interlacing issues aren't really as
    apparent on motion as they are on stills.

    Plus I really could do with a deghost filter before the de-interlace.

    > Also, I think reception out of auckland is worse then auckland because
    > they have to sent it down country. I know when I was in chch the picture
    > was horrible despite having good LOS to the site and a decent looking
    > antenna.

    The reception for the average Kiwi Auckland or elsewhere is dreadful.
    Hence why so many choose to get SkyTV just for a better TV picture.
    Generally when i've been in larger towns reception has been comparable
    to an average Auckland picture. I personally feel my reception is
    slightly above average.

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Oct 12, 2006
  11. Re: Do you really need HD TV..?

    ....or how about yet another high-definition disc format: HD VMD
    <http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35029>?

    Based on good old DVD-style, cheap red laser technology, instead of those
    expensive blue lasers in HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. That's probably a big reason
    why they can offer players at a starting price of--wait for it--£95. Which
    is pocket change compared to current players for the other formats. Also no
    copy protection.

    But on the other hand, no support from Hollywood. Could still take off in
    Asian markets, though...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 12, 2006