Do you realy Need HD TV..?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jack Hammond, Oct 9, 2006.

  1. Jack Hammond

    Jack Hammond Guest

    Jack Hammond, Oct 9, 2006

  2. Jack Hammond

    Mutlley Guest

    Mutlley, Oct 9, 2006

  3. Jack Hammond

    thingy Guest

    Jack Hammond wrote:
    > Seems to be its not a fully compatible standard and still up in the air.
    >

    > http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2006/10/07/alphabet_soup/

    Everything I can see is, dont bother.....just watch the entire debacle
    fall about the TV execs ankles......

    They have made the assumption that consumers are willing to pay no
    matter what....I did not get my TV replaced when it blew and there seem
    to be a number of other like minded people about (who dont want their
    kids vegetated by TVs)...TV sucks so why get one.....so why pay lots
    more for hi-definition crap.....

    So all I do now is buy DVDs, if they make that too hard I will either
    give up or just get pirated stuff, it will be easier than legit....what
    an oxy-moron...

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Oct 9, 2006
  4. Jack Hammond

    Guest

    99% of "HD TVs" in New Zealand for sale are not true HD TVs. Even if
    they say they are HD-ready they are not.

    It is better to wait until true 1080p (1920x1080 resolution) supporting
    TVs are available in New Zealand before buying the shite that is
    currently available.
    , Oct 9, 2006
  5. Re: Do you really need HD TV..?

    In message <>, Jack Hammond
    <jm@yah***.com wrote:

    > Seems to be its not a fully compatible standard and still up in the air.
    >
    > http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2006/10/07/alphabet_soup/

    That's not my understanding of the article. It lists the acronyms to watch
    for. And indeed the last lot of brochures to hit my mailbox did indeed
    include the relevant ones: HDMI and HDCP. Keep focused on those, and you
    should be all right.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 9, 2006
  6. Jack Hammond

    XPD Guest

    "Jack Hammond" <jm@yah***.com> wrote in message

    > Seems to be its not a fully compatible standard and still up in the air.
    >

    > http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2006/10/07/alphabet_soup/

    To answer your subject, No, I personally dont need/want it at this point.
    I can see stuff clear enuff now on TV :)
    XPD, Oct 9, 2006
  7. Re: Do you really need HD TV..?

    In message <>, XPD wrote:

    > To answer your subject, No, I personally dont need/want it at this point.
    > I can see stuff clear enuff now on TV :)

    I can't. I bought the boxed set of "From the Earth to the Moon", which
    apparently was originally filmed in widescreen. The credits are virtually
    illegible on my TV.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 9, 2006
  8. Jack Hammond

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Steven Ellis, Oct 9, 2006
  9. Jack Hammond

    Mutley Guest

    Mutley, Oct 9, 2006
  10. Jack Hammond

    Mutley Guest

    "Steven Ellis" <> wrote:

    >Jack Hammond wrote:
    >> Seems to be its not a fully compatible standard and still up in the air.
    >>

    >> http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2006/10/07/alphabet_soup/

    >There is an interesting article here
    >http://openmedia.co.nz/openmedia/content/view/51/62/ which compares
    >existing NZ Analogue TV and the pending FreeView digital TV network.
    >Shows just how much better an SDTV Widescreen signal looks compared to
    >existing 4:3 analogue TV on a large modern 720p or 1080i screen.
    >
    >Steve

    Thanx for the link.

    After seeing those results the LCD TV is off the shopping list for a
    year or two..
    Mutley, Oct 9, 2006
  11. Jack Hammond

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Mutley" <> wrote in message
    > "Steven Ellis" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Jack Hammond wrote:
    >>> Seems to be its not a fully compatible standard and still up in the air.
    >>>

    >>> http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2006/10/07/alphabet_soup/

    >>There is an interesting article here
    >>http://openmedia.co.nz/openmedia/content/view/51/62/ which compares
    >>existing NZ Analogue TV and the pending FreeView digital TV network.
    >>Shows just how much better an SDTV Widescreen signal looks compared to
    >>existing 4:3 analogue TV on a large modern 720p or 1080i screen.
    >>
    >>Steve

    Hey Steve you might want to redo those images in a non lossy format. Jpg
    adds its own compression artifacts.
    Craig Sutton, Oct 9, 2006
  12. Re: Do you really need HD TV..?

    In message <egd0d5$thj$>, Craig Sutton wrote:

    > "Mutley" <> wrote in message

    >>>There is an interesting article here
    >>>http://openmedia.co.nz/openmedia/content/view/51/62/ which compares
    >>>existing NZ Analogue TV and the pending FreeView digital TV network.
    >>>Shows just how much better an SDTV Widescreen signal looks compared to
    >>>existing 4:3 analogue TV on a large modern 720p or 1080i screen.
    >>>
    >>>Steve

    > Hey Steve you might want to redo those images in a non lossy format. Jpg
    > adds its own compression artifacts.

    Doesn't matter. The difference is still stunning enough to show the
    potential benefits of digital.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 9, 2006
  13. Jack Hammond

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 21:16:41 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    <> wrote:

    >"Mutley" <> wrote in message

    >>>There is an interesting article here
    >>>http://openmedia.co.nz/openmedia/content/view/51/62/ which compares
    >>>existing NZ Analogue TV and the pending FreeView digital TV network.
    >>>Shows just how much better an SDTV Widescreen signal looks compared to
    >>>existing 4:3 analogue TV on a large modern 720p or 1080i screen.
    >>>
    >>>Steve

    >Hey Steve you might want to redo those images in a non lossy format. Jpg
    >adds its own compression artifacts.

    would take a lot of compression to notice.
    GraB, Oct 9, 2006
  14. Jack Hammond

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > "Mutley" <> wrote in message

    > >>There is an interesting article here
    > >>http://openmedia.co.nz/openmedia/content/view/51/62/ which compares
    > >>existing NZ Analogue TV and the pending FreeView digital TV network.
    > >>Shows just how much better an SDTV Widescreen signal looks compared to
    > >>existing 4:3 analogue TV on a large modern 720p or 1080i screen.
    > >>
    > >>Steve

    > Hey Steve you might want to redo those images in a non lossy format. Jpg
    > adds its own compression artifacts.

    I could do them in PNG but given the hits i'm getting i'd rather not
    cope with the extra traffic :)

    Anyhow

    1. I kept the quality levels up quite high for the JPEG files
    2. As the screen captures are off MPEG-2 the JPEG impages tend to
    compress based on the MPEG-2 profile.
    3. I think there is more than enough difference when comparing images
    side by side.

    Given the SkyTV announcements around finally providing Component on
    more of their equipment I might have to do a follow up. Shame component
    based video capture cards are much harder to come by as it would make
    alternatives to MySky a lot better.

    Steve
    Steven Ellis, Oct 9, 2006
  15. Jack Hammond

    Guest

    Re: Do you really need HD TV..?

    > That's not my understanding of the article. It lists the acronyms to watch
    > for. And indeed the last lot of brochures to hit my mailbox did indeed
    > include the relevant ones: HDMI and HDCP. Keep focused on those, and you
    > should be all right.

    You should be looking for 1080p before you buy a set. A 1080p set will
    come with HDMI and CP.

    People wanting to run PS3's to their potential and future true hi-def
    HD-DVD/Blu-Ray movies will need a 1080p set.
    , Oct 9, 2006
  16. Jack Hammond

    Guest

    , Oct 9, 2006
  17. Jack Hammond

    Ardz Guest

    wrote:

    > > You may be interested in this set then.
    > >
    > > http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1093&e=7&u=/pcworld/20061005/tc_pcworld/127391

    > That looks pretty nice - must cost loads.

    There are a few 1080P TVs available at the moment including a Pioneer
    50" Plasma and the newly renamed(formerly Wega)Sony Bravia Rear
    Projection TVs. I dont think 1080P TVs will be a necessity for "Hi Def"
    as 720P/1080i TVs will do just fine....and are cheaper. The PS3 and the
    Xbox 360s new HD DVD Drive will be the catalyst for "Hi Def" uptake as
    the stand alone Blu ray/HD-DVD players will be expensive ie the new
    Panasonic at 3k.
    Ardz, Oct 10, 2006
  18. Jack Hammond

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-10-09, Craig Sutton <> wrote:

    >>>There is an interesting article here
    >>>http://openmedia.co.nz/openmedia/content/view/51/62/ which compares
    >>>existing NZ Analogue TV and the pending FreeView digital TV network.
    >>>Shows just how much better an SDTV Widescreen signal looks compared to
    >>>existing 4:3 analogue TV on a large modern 720p or 1080i screen.
    >>>Steve

    > Hey Steve you might want to redo those images in a non lossy format. Jpg
    > adds its own compression artifacts.

    like mpeg4 doesn't ?

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Oct 10, 2006
  19. Jack Hammond

    steve Guest

    Jack Hammond <jm@yah***.com wrote:

    > Seems to be its not a fully compatible standard and still up in the air.
    >
    > http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2006/10/07/alphabet_soup/

    If you want a crystal clear picture on a TV the size of a dinner table, then
    you need HDTV.

    Otherwise....sit closer to the 14" TV and enjoy the quality. :)

    I do.
    steve, Oct 10, 2006
  20. Jack Hammond

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message

    > "Mutley" <> wrote in message

    >>>There is an interesting article here
    >>>http://openmedia.co.nz/openmedia/content/view/51/62/ which compares
    >>>existing NZ Analogue TV and the pending FreeView digital TV network.
    >>>Shows just how much better an SDTV Widescreen signal looks compared to
    >>>existing 4:3 analogue TV on a large modern 720p or 1080i screen.
    >>>
    >>>Steve

    > Hey Steve you might want to redo those images in a non lossy format. Jpg
    > adds its own compression artifacts.

    And your "1080i" is "1080p" :)

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, Oct 10, 2006