    card reciever. Question? should I buy the Brand for the PCi or can I get a
    cheaper compatible Card. Will I avoid alot of problems getting the netgear
    Card. Thanks BG

    BillKirch, Jun 18, 2004

  2. BillKirch

    Duane Arnold Guest

    oads (BillKirch) wrote in
    news::

    > I have a Netgear Wireless router one one computer and NGear USB
    > reciever on my Laptop. WE also have a third computerin another room
    > and it could take a PCI card reciever. Question? should I buy the
    > Brand for the PCi or can I get a cheaper compatible Card. Will I avoid
    > alot of problems getting the netgear Card. Thanks BG

    I always find it best to keep the brand names the same on all equipment.
    That way there is no finger pointing. :)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 19, 2004

  3. BillKirch

    Hoffman Guest

    Duane has a good point, but, if the router is, for example, 802.11a and the
    pci card is 802.11a, then they will work together just fine.
    Larry

    Hoffman, Jun 19, 2004
  4. BillKirch

    Robert Baer Guest

    Hoffman wrote:

    > Duane has a good point, but, if the router is, for example, 802.11a and the
    > pci card is 802.11a, then they will work together just fine.
    > Larry
    >
    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > > oads (BillKirch) wrote in
    > >
    > > > I have a Netgear Wireless router one one computer and NGear USB
    > > > reciever on my Laptop. WE also have a third computerin another room
    > > > and it could take a PCI card reciever. Question? should I buy the
    > > > Brand for the PCi or can I get a cheaper compatible Card. Will I avoid
    > > > alot of problems getting the netgear Card. Thanks BG
    > > >

    > > I always find it best to keep the brand names the same on all equipment.
    > > That way there is no finger pointing. :)
    > >
    > > Duane :)

    However, there is a brand that is a POS on installation - if you do
    not cross all I's and dot all T's in the correct order, then one could
    be reduced to wiping the HD (to get rid of the software) and a long
    re-installation procedure.
    Unfortunately, i did not pay attention to the brand; a good friend
    that has never had trouble in setting up computers and networks (for
    many years) told me about this problem.
    He wound up tossing the board and software, and putting that brand on
    his DNBAAP (Do Not Buy At Any Price) list.
    If you really need to know, maybe i could find out.

    Robert Baer, Jun 20, 2004
  5. BillKirch

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Hoffman" <> wrote in

    > Duane has a good point, but, if the router is, for example, 802.11a
    > and the pci card is 802.11a, then they will work together just fine.
    > Larry

    Case in point, sitting next to my desktop in the office is my laptop with
    an Orinoco chipset (otherwise generic) 802.11b card talking to our Linksys
    2.4ghz 801.11g/b WAP. Works fine, speeds of about 1.5Mbit reported by DSL
    reports.

    Jim Berwick, Jun 20, 2004