    If some thing Major goes wrong with your PC, like Mother board, Hard drive etc.

    Will MS let you activate the system again..

    Also what happens when you can't get XP, if told you have to buy another copy..?
    Ken , Apr 2, 2007

  2. Ken

    Donchano Guest

    On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:01:26 +1200, Ken
    magnanimously proffered:

    >If some thing Major goes wrong with your PC, like Mother board, Hard drive etc.
    >
    >Will MS let you activate the system again..
    >
    >Also what happens when you can't get XP, if told you have to buy another copy..?

    If you have the original XP discs (or the backups you should have made
    of the discs) and the serial number/key, then you should be able to
    install it (and re-register it if MS asks).
    Donchano, Apr 2, 2007

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:13:50 +1200, Donchano <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:01:26 +1200, Ken
    >magnanimously proffered:
    >>
    >>If some thing Major goes wrong with your PC, like Mother board, Hard drive etc.
    >>
    >>Will MS let you activate the system again..
    >>
    >>Also what happens when you can't get XP, if told you have to buy another copy..?

    >If you have the original XP discs (or the backups you should have made
    >of the discs) and the serial number/key, then you should be able to
    >install it (and re-register it if MS asks).

    Contacted MS, you if you use another Mother Board that is not New, you have to buy the Full retail
    version.
    Ken , Apr 3, 2007
  4. Ken

    PeeCee Guest

    <Ken > wrote in message

    > If some thing Major goes wrong with your PC, like Mother board, Hard drive
    > etc.
    >
    > Will MS let you activate the system again..

    > Also what happens when you can't get XP, if told you have to buy another
    > copy..?

    If you have a PC from one of the 'big' manufacturers then the 'restore'
    facility provided will most likely contain a 'pre activated' copy of XP.
    A PC from a smaller maker on the other hand will require 'activation' each
    time it is installed afresh (eg Format & reinstall)

    Replacing components in a PC (eg hardware failure) can trigger a
    'reactivation' process if XP decides enough has changed to make it likely
    you have pirated XP onto another PC.
    This is fine for those PC's supplied with a MS XP CD.
    Just reactivate online or via phone if the online process balks at it.
    All you have to do is convince the MS SO you are not pirating the software.

    Bigger manufacturers Restore facilites however will not restore to a
    motherboard with a different Bios.
    In this case although activation is not an issue (preactivated) as the
    manufacturers restore routine will not work in the first place.
    Smaller hardware changes like hard drives or modems are likely to work,
    though you will have driver issues with some of these hardware changes.

    So "Will MS let you activate the system again"? = Yes, provided you can get
    it installed.

    "what happens when you can't get XP"
    No doubt the official line will be to buy a 'newer' Version of Windows.
    However this is of no use to owners of PC's with more modest specifications.
    Possibilities I see are:
    1 - Sue MS
    2 - go buy a new PC
    3 - try another operating system

    Of course there is speculation that eventually MS will have to turn their XP
    activation servers off.
    Maybe MS will issue a patch that kills activation, who knows.

    Pessimists would say it's all a part of 'planned obsolescence'
    Can't say I disagree.
    Mind you by then my 10,000GHZ CPU with it's 50TerraBytes of RAM on a 100GHZ
    frontside bus would kinda make the old XP machine rather irrelevant.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Apr 3, 2007
  5. Ken

    Kent Smith Guest

    Ken wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:13:50 +1200, Donchano
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:01:26 +1200, Ken
    >> magnanimously proffered:
    >>>
    >>> If some thing Major goes wrong with your PC, like Mother board,
    >>> Hard drive etc.
    >>>
    >>> Will MS let you activate the system again..
    >>>
    >>> Also what happens when you can't get XP, if told you have to buy
    >>> another copy..?

    >> If you have the original XP discs (or the backups you should have
    >> made of the discs) and the serial number/key, then you should be
    >> able to install it (and re-register it if MS asks).

    > Contacted MS, you if you use another Mother Board that is not New,
    > you have to buy the Full retail version.

    I think legally you have to but I believe in reality if you ask MS, and say
    your MB packed up, they just ask you if you're running it on more than one
    computer, you reply with the obvious and they'll reactivate it. I haven't
    done it but I have read this somewhere a few months ago.

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, Apr 3, 2007
  6. Ken

    Ken Guest

    On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 16:43:32 +1200, "Kent Smith" <> wrote:

    >Ken wrote:
    >> On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:13:50 +1200, Donchano
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:01:26 +1200, Ken
    >>> magnanimously proffered:

    >>> If you have the original XP discs (or the backups you should have
    >>> made of the discs) and the serial number/key, then you should be
    >>> able to install it (and re-register it if MS asks).

    >> Contacted MS, you if you use another Mother Board that is not New,
    >> you have to buy the Full retail version.

    >I think legally you have to but I believe in reality if you ask MS, and say
    >your MB packed up, they just ask you if you're running it on more than one
    >computer, you reply with the obvious and they'll reactivate it. I haven't
    >done it but I have read this somewhere a few months ago.
    >

    >-KENT

    I did and they stated that the Licence agreement does not allow this, this was originally purchased
    with a New MB, XP Home OEM..
    Ken , Apr 3, 2007
  7. Ken

    Donchano Guest

    On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 12:15:42 +1200, Ken
    magnanimously proffered:

    >On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:13:50 +1200, Donchano <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:01:26 +1200, Ken
    >>magnanimously proffered:
    >>>
    >>>If some thing Major goes wrong with your PC, like Mother board, Hard drive etc.
    >>>
    >>>Will MS let you activate the system again..
    >>>
    >>>Also what happens when you can't get XP, if told you have to buy another copy..?

    >>If you have the original XP discs (or the backups you should have made
    >>of the discs) and the serial number/key, then you should be able to
    >>install it (and re-register it if MS asks).

    >Contacted MS, you if you use another Mother Board that is not New, you have to buy the Full retail
    >version.

    A week after I took delivery of a new Dell Dimension 9150 I discovered
    that the motherboard was faulty and it was replaced under warranty.
    There was no question of having to re-install the OS because the
    hard-drive wasn't affected. If it was, however, I have all the
    original WXPpro installation discs, so all I would have to do is
    re-install it. Don't you have the original installation discs or
    back-ups? And why does the use of your OS have anything to do with a
    motherboard in the first place? Did your hard-drive crash and burn at
    the same time?
    Donchano, Apr 3, 2007
  8. Ken

    EMB Guest

    Ken wrote:

    > I did and they stated that the Licence agreement does not allow this, this was originally purchased
    > with a New MB, XP Home OEM..

    Tell them you purchased it with a power cord or a mouse.... and it's
    still the same one.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Apr 3, 2007
  9. Ken

    Ken Guest

    On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 17:18:20 +1200, Donchano <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 12:15:42 +1200, Ken
    >magnanimously proffered:
    >
    >>On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:13:50 +1200, Donchano <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:01:26 +1200, Ken
    >>>magnanimously proffered:

    >>>If you have the original XP discs (or the backups you should have made
    >>>of the discs) and the serial number/key, then you should be able to
    >>>install it (and re-register it if MS asks).

    >>Contacted MS, you if you use another Mother Board that is not New, you have to buy the Full retail
    >>version.

    >A week after I took delivery of a new Dell Dimension 9150 I discovered
    >that the motherboard was faulty and it was replaced under warranty.
    >There was no question of having to re-install the OS because the
    >hard-drive wasn't affected. If it was, however, I have all the
    >original WXPpro installation discs, so all I would have to do is
    >re-install it. Don't you have the original installation discs or
    >back-ups? And why does the use of your OS have anything to do with a
    >motherboard in the first place? Did your hard-drive crash and burn at
    >the same time?

    Ita a Real OEM Copy of XP home on a made up computer..
    Ken , Apr 3, 2007
  10. Ken

    broooooce Guest

    Ken wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 17:18:20 +1200, Donchano <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 12:15:42 +1200, Ken
    >>magnanimously proffered:

    >>>Contacted MS, you if you use another Mother Board that is not New, you have to buy the Full retail
    >>>version.

    >>A week after I took delivery of a new Dell Dimension 9150 I discovered
    >>that the motherboard was faulty and it was replaced under warranty.
    >>There was no question of having to re-install the OS because the
    >>hard-drive wasn't affected. If it was, however, I have all the
    >>original WXPpro installation discs, so all I would have to do is
    >>re-install it. Don't you have the original installation discs or
    >>back-ups? And why does the use of your OS have anything to do with a
    >>motherboard in the first place? Did your hard-drive crash and burn at
    >>the same time?
    >>

    > Ita a Real OEM Copy of XP home on a made up computer..

    You made up your computer !!

    Sort of like an imaginary friend I suppose....
    broooooce, Apr 3, 2007
  11. On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 12:15:42 +1200, Ken Yates wrote:

    >>If you have the original XP discs (or the backups you should have made
    >>of the discs) and the serial number/key, then you should be able to
    >>install it (and re-register it if MS asks).

    > Contacted MS, you if you use another Mother Board that is not New, you
    > have to buy the Full retail version.

    Surely you should ONLY need Something that was purchased at the same time
    as the OEM version was purchased - such as a power cable.

    The minimum you need to purchase in order to get an OEM version of M$
    Windows is... a power cable.

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    When you want a computer system that works, just choose Linux.
    When you want a computer system that works, just, choose Microsoft.
    Dianthus Mimulus, Apr 3, 2007
  12. Ken

    Jerry Guest

    Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 12:15:42 +1200, Ken Yates wrote:
    >
    >>> If you have the original XP discs (or the backups you should have made
    >>> of the discs) and the serial number/key, then you should be able to
    >>> install it (and re-register it if MS asks).

    >> Contacted MS, you if you use another Mother Board that is not New, you
    >> have to buy the Full retail version.

    > Surely you should ONLY need Something that was purchased at the same time
    > as the OEM version was purchased - such as a power cable.
    >
    > The minimum you need to purchase in order to get an OEM version of M$
    > Windows is... a power cable.

    Not quite.

    "4.1 We grant you a nonexclusive right to distribute an individual
    software license only with a fully assembled computer system. A "fully
    assembled computer system" means a computer system consisting of at
    least a central processing unit, a motherboard, a hard drive, a power
    supply, and a case."
    Jerry, Apr 3, 2007
  13. On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 06:34:52 +1200, Jerry wrote:

    >> The minimum you need to purchase in order to get an OEM version of M$
    >> Windows is... a power cable.

    > Not quite.
    >
    > "4.1 We grant you a nonexclusive right to distribute an individual
    > software license only with a fully assembled computer system. A "fully
    > assembled computer system" means a computer system consisting of at
    > least a central processing unit, a motherboard, a hard drive, a power
    > supply, and a case."

    So, why have people been saying that OEM software can be purchased with
    any hardware component?

    Dianthus Mimulus, Apr 3, 2007
  14. Ken

    Rufus Goetz Guest

    Dianthus Mimulus wrote:

    > On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 06:34:52 +1200, Jerry wrote:
    >
    >>> The minimum you need to purchase in order to get an OEM version of M$
    >>> Windows is... a power cable.

    >> Not quite.
    >>
    >> "4.1 We grant you a nonexclusive right to distribute an individual
    >> software license only with a fully assembled computer system. A "fully
    >> assembled computer system" means a computer system consisting of at
    >> least a central processing unit, a motherboard, a hard drive, a power
    >> supply, and a case."

    > So, why have people been saying that OEM software can be purchased with
    > any hardware component?

    Why don't YOU tell us? I'd call it ignorance. In your case, I'd also call
    it typical.
    Rufus Goetz, Apr 3, 2007
  15. Ken

    frederick Guest

    Rufus Goetz wrote:
    > Dianthus Mimulus wrote:

    >>> Not quite.
    >>>
    >>> "4.1 We grant you a nonexclusive right to distribute an individual
    >>> software license only with a fully assembled computer system. A "fully
    >>> assembled computer system" means a computer system consisting of at
    >>> least a central processing unit, a motherboard, a hard drive, a power
    >>> supply, and a case."

    >> So, why have people been saying that OEM software can be purchased with
    >> any hardware component?

    > Why don't YOU tell us? I'd call it ignorance. In your case, I'd also call
    > it typical.

    You can buy it with a power cord.
    The quote above is probably from an OEM System Builder's license - it
    refers to reselling of the license - not using it yourself.
    frederick, Apr 3, 2007
  16. Ken

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Ken wrote:
    > Contacted MS, you if you use another Mother Board that is not New,
    > you have to buy the Full retail version.

    And once again, for the (what seems like) 100th time, Roger Sheppard is
    grabbed by the scruff of the neck like a schoolboy trying to sneak into the
    movies (thought he'd like that analogy) and thrown into the bozo bin.

    <plink> (He's light-weight)
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Apr 4, 2007
  17. Ken

    JohnO Guest

    On Apr 4, 7:11 am, Dianthus Mimulus <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 06:34:52 +1200, Jerry wrote:
    > >> The minimum you need to purchase in order to get an OEM version of M$
    > >> Windows is... a power cable.

    > > Not quite.

    > > "4.1 We grant you a nonexclusive right to distribute an individual
    > > software license only with a fully assembled computer system. A "fully
    > > assembled computer system" means a computer system consisting of at
    > > least a central processing unit, a motherboard, a hard drive, a power
    > > supply, and a case."

    > So, why have people been saying that OEM software can be purchased with
    > any hardware component?

    Tip: Don't believe everything you read!

    JohnO, Apr 4, 2007
  18. Ken

    Jerry Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > Rufus Goetz wrote:
    >> Dianthus Mimulus wrote:

    >>> So, why have people been saying that OEM software can be purchased with
    >>> any hardware component?

    >> Why don't YOU tell us? I'd call it ignorance. In your case, I'd also
    >> call
    >> it typical.

    > You can buy it with a power cord.
    > The quote above is probably from an OEM System Builder's license - it
    > refers to reselling of the license - not using it yourself.

    No, they changed it back in late 2005 to "plug the loophole"
    Jerry, Apr 4, 2007
  19. Ken

    Jerry Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > Rufus Goetz wrote:
    >> Dianthus Mimulus wrote:

    >>> So, why have people been saying that OEM software can be purchased with
    >>> any hardware component?

    >> Why don't YOU tell us? I'd call it ignorance. In your case, I'd also
    >> call
    >> it typical.

    > You can buy it with a power cord.
    > The quote above is probably from an OEM System Builder's license - it
    > refers to reselling of the license - not using it yourself.

    Actually, it looks like you don't even need a power cord. It appears
    that you might be in trouble if you change the motherboard though. I've
    never been refused activation over the phone if I explain why I'm
    reactivating it though.

    Jerry, Apr 4, 2007
  20. Ken

    frederick Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > frederick wrote:
    >> Rufus Goetz wrote:

    >>> Why don't YOU tell us? I'd call it ignorance. In your case, I'd
    >>> also call
    >>> it typical.

    >> You can buy it with a power cord.
    >> The quote above is probably from an OEM System Builder's license - it
    >> refers to reselling of the license - not using it yourself.

    > Actually, it looks like you don't even need a power cord. It appears
    > that you might be in trouble if you change the motherboard though. I've
    > never been refused activation over the phone if I explain why I'm
    > reactivating it though.

    Yeah - I read the new OEM agreement, and don't see a problem. There
    seem to be plenty of sellers offering OEM versions of XP, Vista etc.
    The requirements of the license (tied to the machine, sticker to be
    bunged on etc) don't seem to have changed. I don't think there's a
    problem. I also doubt that MS would decline activation if you switched
    M/B on an existing PC with OEM license and spoke with them. But if you
    were doing it on a regular basis, then they might want to find out a
    little more about what you were up to.
    frederick, Apr 4, 2007