Do you need the original Vista CD - dual boot xp? Recovery disk?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by lbbss, Mar 26, 2008.

  1. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    I posted this a few days ago, but I have a feeling this is still new
    to most people. I found lots of info on dual boot vista on the web,
    which requires having a vista cd. Most computer systems are sold
    with only recovery cd. Just curious if that means I am out of luck
    or there is a way around that. My previous post:

    I bought a Gateway computer ( http://tinyurl.com/2x5uwa ) with vista,
    but it only comes with recovery CD not the original. I was
    following the instruction as per this website http://tinyurl.com/3xepar.
    So I installed xp successfully. Now at this point I should be putting
    the vista cd and select repair to fix the bootloader. But I only
    have the restore cd. I tried putting it in. The first screen it
    gives me does not have the vista option. Instead it's a Gateway
    recovery screen. You have two options, do you want to run from disc
    or from small recovery partition on the hard drive. I assume if I
    continue on this path it will partition my system back to one, just
    like it was originally. Any ideas? Thanks
    lbbss, Mar 26, 2008

  2. lbbss

    PeeCee Guest

    "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    >I posted this a few days ago, but I have a feeling this is still new
    > to most people. I found lots of info on dual boot vista on the web,
    > which requires having a vista cd. Most computer systems are sold
    > with only recovery cd. Just curious if that means I am out of luck
    > or there is a way around that. My previous post:
    >

    > I bought a Gateway computer ( http://tinyurl.com/2x5uwa ) with vista,
    > but it only comes with recovery CD not the original. I was
    > following the instruction as per this website http://tinyurl.com/3xepar.
    > So I installed xp successfully. Now at this point I should be putting
    > the vista cd and select repair to fix the bootloader. But I only
    > have the restore cd. I tried putting it in. The first screen it
    > gives me does not have the vista option. Instead it's a Gateway
    > recovery screen. You have two options, do you want to run from disc
    > or from small recovery partition on the hard drive. I assume if I
    > continue on this path it will partition my system back to one, just
    > like it was originally. Any ideas? Thanks

    Ibbss

    At least you got a restore disk.
    To many of the big manufacturers subscribe to the stoopid 'restore partition
    on the hard drive' idea that goes west when the hard drive dies.
    (& don't complain 'burn them' I see fully 90% of machines through here where
    the owner doesn't know what that means let alone has actually burnt them)

    One way round your problem is to borrow an OEM or Retail Vista install DVD
    from a friend.
    MS is mainly interested in you having a License to install that particular
    OS on that machine, not what your install media is.
    So they are going to ignore a copy of an install DVD and concentrate on you
    having license stickers attached to the machine for all the MS OS's
    installed on that machine.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Mar 26, 2008

  3. lbbss

    Guest

    Re: Do you need the original Vista CD - dual boot xp? Recovery disk?

    lbbss wrote:
    > I posted this a few days ago, but I have a feeling this is still new
    > to most people. I found lots of info on dual boot vista on the web,
    > which requires having a vista cd. Most computer systems are sold
    > with only recovery cd. Just curious if that means I am out of luck
    > or there is a way around that. My previous post:
    >

    > I bought a Gateway computer ( http://tinyurl.com/2x5uwa ) with vista,
    > but it only comes with recovery CD not the original. I was
    > following the instruction as per this website http://tinyurl.com/3xepar.
    > So I installed xp successfully. Now at this point I should be putting
    > the vista cd and select repair to fix the bootloader. But I only
    > have the restore cd. I tried putting it in. The first screen it
    > gives me does not have the vista option. Instead it's a Gateway
    > recovery screen. You have two options, do you want to run from disc
    > or from small recovery partition on the hard drive. I assume if I
    > continue on this path it will partition my system back to one, just
    > like it was originally. Any ideas? Thanks

    Ok so we would assume that vista is still installed, and is just not
    being recognized by the MBR. That it only boots with XP because XP
    overwrote the MBR on the Vista install

    So if the recovery cd has Vista, and if vista can modify the MBR (to
    include other windows operating systems) to choose from at boot, then
    you would be able to reinstall Vista to the original drive, and have
    it boot with the two systems to choose from.

    You need to find out if Vista uses a bootloader that would include
    other windows operating systems.

    (Or use a third party bootloader)
    , Mar 26, 2008
  4. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    Re: Do you need the original Vista CD - dual boot xp? Recovery disk?

    > Ok so we would assume that vista is still installed, and is just not
    > being recognized by the MBR. That it only boots with XP because XP
    > overwrote the MBR on the Vista install

    Yes, that is correct.

    > So if the recovery cd has Vista, and if vista can modify the MBR (to
    > include other windows operating systems) to choose from at boot, then
    > you would be able to reinstall Vista to the original drive, and have
    > it boot with the two systems to choose from.
    >
    > You need to find out if Vista uses a bootloader that would include
    > other windows operating systems.
    >
    > (Or use a third party bootloader)

    That's the problem, my restore cd does not bring up the same sceen
    that as a vista cd does. My restore cd brings up a screen that does
    not include a repair option as mentioned in my previous post. So
    How do I find out if my vista has a third party boot loader? The
    original vista install had a vista logo screen come up when booting up
    (as opposed to a Dell or Gateway logo showing).
    lbbss, Mar 26, 2008
  5. lbbss

    lbbss wrote:
    > > Ok so we would assume that vista is still installed, and is just not
    > > being recognized by the MBR. That it only boots with XP because XP
    > > overwrote the MBR on the Vista install
    > >

    > Yes, that is correct.
    >

    > > So if the recovery cd has Vista, and if vista can modify the MBR (to
    > > include other windows operating systems) to choose from at boot, then
    > > you would be able to reinstall Vista to the original drive, and have
    > > it boot with the two systems to choose from.
    > >
    > > You need to find out if Vista uses a bootloader that would include
    > > other windows operating systems.
    > >
    > > (Or use a third party bootloader)

    > That's the problem, my restore cd does not bring up the same sceen
    > that as a vista cd does. My restore cd brings up a screen that does
    > not include a repair option as mentioned in my previous post. So
    > How do I find out if my vista has a third party boot loader? The
    > original vista install had a vista logo screen come up when booting up
    > (as opposed to a Dell or Gateway logo showing).

    What happens is when you install XP after Vista XP overwrites the MBR,
    when VISTA is installed after XP
    it adds an XP entry to the bootloader.

    You could restore, reinstall Vista and it will show XP on the boot
    menu. Or install a Linux operating system.
    Linux PcLinux minime is nice, if not now you may want to try it or
    another linux distribution in the future so you know what other
    options are out there.

    But this looks like it will work. http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/EasyBCD.shtml
    , Mar 27, 2008
  6. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    Re: Do you need the original Vista CD - dual boot xp? Recovery disk?

    Yes, I understand how to make it dual boot and MBR, by reading many
    websites. My problem is not having a vista cd. The restore cd,
    formats both partitions, so I would loose xp. Unless I can find
    someone with vista cd to borrow, I am out of luck? I don't know
    anyone with vista cd, most have just restore cd. tx
    lbbss, Mar 27, 2008
  7. lbbss

    lbbss wrote:
    > Yes, I understand how to make it dual boot and MBR, by reading many
    > websites. My problem is not having a vista cd. The restore cd,
    > formats both partitions, so I would loose xp. Unless I can find
    > someone with vista cd to borrow, I am out of luck? I don't know
    > anyone with vista cd, most have just restore cd. tx

    I don't know why it would need to format more than one partition,

    But I understood you saying that Vista 'is already installed' that
    you just need to repair the booting. Well everything I see in the
    program I mentioned should restore your Vista booting if you do have
    vista installed,
    along with XP

    It says EasyBCD is geared for users of all kinds. Whether you just
    want to add an entry to your old XP partition

    Automated MBR and BCD backups, boot sector restore kits,

    If you have support for you computer you may call them, you could tell
    them you nuked your restore partition
    and need a replacement disk. Or ask them if you can repair your boot
    with the cd you have.

    Or there should be boot repair utilities for Vista. Likely something
    at the microsoft support website.

    Or ask on the vista group
    , Mar 27, 2008
  8. lbbss

    lbbss <> wrote:

    >Yes, I understand how to make it dual boot and MBR, by reading many
    >websites. My problem is not having a vista cd. The restore cd,
    >formats both partitions, so I would loose xp. Unless I can find
    >someone with vista cd to borrow, I am out of luck? I don't know
    >anyone with vista cd, most have just restore cd. tx

    Just download a Vista CD
    http://thepiratebay.org/search/vista/0/99/0
    your not going to install it just grab what you need or download
    EasyBCD http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
    --

    Store up to 2GB of your Pr0n online
    https://www.photoshop.com/express/landing.html
  9. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    Re: Do you need the original Vista CD - dual boot xp? Recovery disk?

    > Just download a Vista CDhttp://thepiratebay.org/search/vista/0/99/0
    > your not going to install it just grab what you need or download
    > EasyBCDhttp://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

    Are you saying that easyBCD can repair the bootloader just the same as
    vista repair option? It did not sound Iike you could do that from
    the dual boot website I read, but I am not totally sure about that.
    tx
    lbbss, Mar 27, 2008
  10. lbbss

    lbbss <> wrote:

    >> Just download a Vista CDhttp://thepiratebay.org/search/vista/0/99/0
    >> your not going to install it just grab what you need or download
    >> EasyBCDhttp://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

    >Are you saying that easyBCD can repair the bootloader just the same as
    >vista repair option? It did not sound Iike you could do that from
    >the dual boot website I read, but I am not totally sure about that.

    I did a fast search for "dual boot vista" easybcd came up either
    download that file
    http://www.download.com/EasyBCD/3000-2094_4-10556865.html

    Or the one (file) you need from a Vista CD you download from a torrent
    --

    Store up to 2GB of your Pr0n online
    https://www.photoshop.com/express/landing.html
    , Mar 28, 2008
  11. lbbss

    lbbss wrote:
    > > Just download a Vista CDhttp://thepiratebay.org/search/vista/0/99/0
    > > your not going to install it just grab what you need or download
    > > EasyBCDhttp://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

    > Are you saying that easyBCD can repair the bootloader just the same as
    > vista repair option? It did not sound Iike you could do that from
    > the dual boot website I read, but I am not totally sure about that.
    > tx

    I've been dual booting windows bsd and linux for years and I would say
    that it will do what you need it to do

    Also look at http://www.vistabootpro.org/

    also look at:
    http://www.techsupportforum.com/mic...sta-support/208576-dual-booting-vista-xp.html

    Keep in mind if you ever nuke your installs you likely should install
    XP first, on the C: drive and Vista next, because Vista will add XP to
    the vista bootloader menu.
    , Mar 28, 2008