do you just buy a new digital camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Marli, Sep 1, 2003.

  1. Marli

    Marli Guest

    For the ones I like, I need to grovel. :)

    Marli, Sep 1, 2003

  2. Marli

    someone Guest

    someone, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Marli

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <3f532511$>, Marli wrote:

    > For the ones I like, I need to grovel. :)

    I have to justify it to *myself*, and that is by far the hard part. On
    one hand I *could* drop $x on a snazzy new camera, but on the other hand I
    *could* put that same money against the car loan or I could buy a new
    computer or whatever. That's where it gets tough - when you compare the
    cost of the camera against other things that it could buy. If I just look
    at it as dollars then it's no biggie, but if I look at it in terms of what
    *else* I could buy with that same money... harsh.

    <http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>

    Mike Graham, Sep 1, 2003
  4. someone wrote:
    > do you just walk into the shop, plonk down the money and walk out

    Welll, I had to justify it to myself first! It took me half a year... ;-)
    "Processing" my wife was easy... and done meanwhile :)
    Regards,
    --
    Jaroslaw Banachowicz

    Jaroslaw Banachowicz, Sep 1, 2003
  5. Marli

    Guest

    someone <> wrote:
    > do you just walk into the shop, plonk down the money and walk out grinning
    > like a madman? No.

    > or do you have to justify it to
    > yourself/wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend/parents before doing so?

    Considering that I am single and how I spend my money is none of my
    is no one else's business, no.

    , Sep 1, 2003
  6. Marli

    Mark B. Guest

    "someone" <> wrote in message
    > do you just walk into the shop, plonk down the money and walk out grinning
    > like a madman? or do you have to justify it to
    > yourself/wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend/parents before doing so?

    Neither. I did a lot of research and reading reviews before getting the D30
    over 18 months ago. I had the money set aside, so there was no need to
    'justify' it to anyone but me.

    Mark

    Mark B., Sep 1, 2003
  7. Marli

    HRosita Guest

    > wrote:

    >do you just walk into the shop, plonk down the money and walk out grinning
    >like a madman? or do you have to justify it to
    >yourself/wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend/parents before doing so

    Depends on the cost of the camera and the size of your wallet.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Sep 1, 2003
  8. Marli

    Frankhartx Guest

    >From: (someone)

    >do you just walk into the shop, plonk down the money and walk out grinning
    >like a madman? or do you have to justify it to
    >yourself/wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend/parents before doing so

    Justify is for wuss pussies

    Frankhartx, Sep 1, 2003
  9. Marli

    Ron Hunter Guest

    someone wrote:
    > do you just walk into the shop, plonk down the money and walk out grinning
    > like a madman? or do you have to justify it to
    > yourself/wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend/parents before doing so?

    TO myself, first. Then run it by me wife, who always says no first,
    then magnanimously relents, knowing I will buy it anyway if I really
    want it.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 1, 2003
  10. Marli

    Nod Guest

    I realised that I "had" to get a D10 so I took my motorbike to the dealers
    in June to sell on my behalf. . Trouble is, I bought the camera that day and
    he still hasn't sold the motorbike!
    Never mind, it was the best decision ever!
    Andrew.

    Nod, Sep 1, 2003
  11. Marli

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <>, Frankhartx wrote:

    > Justify is for wuss pussies

    Yeah, we don't need to eat! Or pay our rents. Or drive our cars. Or...

    <http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>

    Mike Graham, Sep 1, 2003
  12. Marli

    Paul H. Guest

    <> wrote in message news:bivdet$jmi$...
    > someone <> wrote:
    > > do you just walk into the shop, plonk down the money and walk out

    grinning
    > > like a madman? No.

    > > or do you have to justify it to
    > > yourself/wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend/parents before doing so?

    > Considering that I am single and how I spend my money is none of my
    > is no one else's business, no.

    Why, we're quite the little solipsist, aren't we? You must have missed the
    "yourself" criterion in the original question.

    Paul H., Sep 1, 2003
  13. Marli

    Paul H. Guest

    wrote:

    > > Justify is for wuss pussies

    > Yeah, we don't need to eat! Or pay our rents. Or drive our cars.

    Or...

    My advice to those who have to choose between buying a camera or eating:
    Buy the camera, then take pictures of food!

    Besides, if you die of starvation, why, that's just natural selection at
    work, isn't it?

    Paul H., Sep 1, 2003
  14. Marli

    JohnO Guest

    I've never had to justify to my wife when I buy something. She does question
    my 'need' to buy something on occasion but I always feed her one of 'HER'
    own lines ... "Because I wanted it!"

    When she found out I bought my Canon 10D she laughed and went out and bought
    herself a new shotgun. We made a deal ... I won't shoot her if she doesn't
    shoot me :)

    And for the record ... one of my hobbies is photography, one of hers is
    training, instructing and judging, hunt and field work for our Labrador
    Retrievers and others interested in the sport. She also shows, instructs and
    judges in obedience with a little agility thrown in.

    http://members.cox.net/gerrie

    Seeing I have a new camera and they were looking for a photographer I was
    asked to be the photographer for one of her hunting club trials next
    weekend. Lots of action as well as posed and portrait shots ... should be a
    lot of fun!

    JohnO, Sep 1, 2003
  15. Marli

    Ms. Jaime Guest

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 11:04:38 GMT, (someone) wrote:

    >do you just walk into the shop, plonk down the money and walk out grinning
    >like a madman? or do you have to justify it to
    >yourself/wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend/parents before doing so?

    I don't have to jusify it to *anyone* although my oldest son (nearly
    19 years old) had a fit
    when he heard how much my 750 UZ was until I gave him some of my money
    to go with his friend's parents to TO this weekend so they could hang
    out at the CNE today.

    Ms.Jaime

    'If at first you don't succeed, piss on it and go on
    to something else. Life is too short to waste your time.'

    Ms. Jaime, Sep 1, 2003
  16. Marli

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <43K4b.14414$>, Paul H. wrote:

    > My advice to those who have to choose between buying a camera or eating:
    > Buy the camera, then take pictures of food!
    >
    > Besides, if you die of starvation, why, that's just natural selection at
    > work, isn't it?

    And ever so valiant... dying for one's art and all that...

    <http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>

    Mike Graham, Sep 1, 2003
  17. Marli

    Ms. Jaime Guest

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 16:01:04 GMT, "Paul H." <>
    wrote:

    >"Mike Graham" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>, Frankhartx

    >wrote:
    >>
    >> > Justify is for wuss pussies

    >> Yeah, we don't need to eat! Or pay our rents. Or drive our cars.

    >Or...
    >
    >My advice to those who have to choose between buying a camera or eating:
    >Buy the camera, then take pictures of food!
    >
    >Besides, if you die of starvation, why, that's just natural selection at
    >work, isn't it?

    LMAO. Cute.

    Ms. Jaime, Sep 1, 2003
  18. Marli

    JD Guest

    > do you just walk into the shop, plonk down the money and walk out grinning
    > like a madman? or do you have to justify it to
    > yourself/wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend/parents before doing so?

    Neither. I first visit a few shops to see what is out there, then take
    notes and go home and do some research for a week or two. Then I check to
    see which store has the better price, customer service and management and go
    get the camera I researched to be the best.

    JD, Sep 1, 2003
  19. (someone) WROTE:

    >do you just walk into the shop, plonk down the money and walk out grinning
    >like a madman? or do you have to justify it to
    >yourself/wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend/parents before doing so?

    You could take a two step approach.

    1. Buy a handgun and let wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend/parents know about
    it.
    2. Buy the camera.

    Jeff

    Jeff the Dentist, Sep 1, 2003
  20. >
    > >do you just walk into the shop, plonk down the money and walk out

    grinning
    > >like a madman? or do you have to justify it to
    > >yourself/wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend/parents before doing so?

    As long as I can afford it, I buy what I want and when I want. If I had to
    justify every purchase to my mate, it would be a poor relationship, IMO.
    Ed

    Edwin Pawlowski, Sep 1, 2003