    Can anyone recommend a reliable and user-friendly DVR with a digital
    tuner? I prefer the kind with only DVD recording - not VCR included.
    Thanks for your input!
    Consumer, Dec 7, 2007

  2. Consumer

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    Consumer <> wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a reliable and user-friendly DVR with a digital
    > tuner? I prefer the kind with only DVD recording - not VCR included.
    > Thanks for your input!

    I just use the one that Comcast provides. It even records in high def.
    Shawn Hirn, Dec 7, 2007

  3. On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 23:28:31 -0500, Shawn Hirn <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Consumer <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi folks,
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend a reliable and user-friendly DVR with a digital
    >> tuner? I prefer the kind with only DVD recording - not VCR included.
    >> Thanks for your input!

    >I just use the one that Comcast provides. It even records in high def.

    But it doesnt have a DVD Recorder built in.
    Fred C. Dobbs, Dec 7, 2007
  4. Consumer

    krw Guest

    In article <>, nospam-
    says...
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a reliable and user-friendly DVR with a digital
    > tuner? I prefer the kind with only DVD recording - not VCR included.
    > Thanks for your input!

    I've had a LiteOn DVR/DVD recorder for a couple of years. It works
    well enough, though also have a DVR in the cable box. Don't know
    what you consider "user friendly". Can you program a VCR well enough
    that it doesn't blink 12:00?

    --
    Keith
    krw, Dec 7, 2007
  5. Consumer

    Consumer Guest

    On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:48:20 -0500, krw <> wrote:

    >In article <>, nospam-
    > says...
    >> Hi folks,
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend a reliable and user-friendly DVR with a digital
    >> tuner? I prefer the kind with only DVD recording - not VCR included.
    >> Thanks for your input!

    >I've had a LiteOn DVR/DVD recorder for a couple of years. It works
    >well enough, though also have a DVR in the cable box. Don't know
    >what you consider "user friendly". Can you program a VCR well enough
    >that it doesn't blink 12:00?

    We've used VCRs for years but now we're looking into digital equipment
    now. I thought I saw a unit somewhere that records onto a hard drive
    and then allows you to record to a DVD if you want to keep it. I think
    it was Samsung. Perhaps this would be better. Not sure if it had a
    digital tuner though.
    Consumer, Dec 9, 2007
  6. Consumer

    krw Guest

    In article <>, nospam-
    says...
    > On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:48:20 -0500, krw <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, nospam-
    > > says...
    > >> Hi folks,
    > >>
    > >> Can anyone recommend a reliable and user-friendly DVR with a digital
    > >> tuner? I prefer the kind with only DVD recording - not VCR included.
    > >> Thanks for your input!

    > >I've had a LiteOn DVR/DVD recorder for a couple of years. It works
    > >well enough, though also have a DVR in the cable box. Don't know
    > >what you consider "user friendly". Can you program a VCR well enough
    > >that it doesn't blink 12:00?

    > We've used VCRs for years but now we're looking into digital equipment
    > now. I thought I saw a unit somewhere that records onto a hard drive
    > and then allows you to record to a DVD if you want to keep it. I think
    > it was Samsung. Perhaps this would be better. Not sure if it had a
    > digital tuner though.

    There are many such units. Our LiteOn is about three years old and
    the idea wasn't new then. I've rarely used the tuner though, rather
    the cable box's tuner.

    --
    Keith
    krw, Dec 9, 2007
  7. Consumer

    Stan Brown Guest

    Sat, 8 Dec 2007 22:49:22 -0500 from krw <>:
    > In article <>, nospam-
    > says...
    > > I thought I saw a unit somewhere that records onto a hard drive
    > > and then allows you to record to a DVD if you want to keep it. I think
    > > it was Samsung. Perhaps this would be better. Not sure if it had a
    > > digital tuner though.

    > There are many such units. Our LiteOn is about three years old and
    > the idea wasn't new then. I've rarely used the tuner though, rather
    > the cable box's tuner.

    "Many such units" is an outdated statement. There *used* to be a lot
    of choice, but several manufacturers have dropped out this year.

    (Interestingly, some, such as Pioneer, are still selling hard-drive
    units to the Canadian market.)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    Stan Brown, Dec 9, 2007
  8. Consumer

    Max Guest

    On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 22:49:22 -0500, krw <> graced this
    newsgroup with:

    >In article <>, nospam-
    > says...
    >> On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:48:20 -0500, krw <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <>, nospam-
    >> > says...

    >> >I've had a LiteOn DVR/DVD recorder for a couple of years. It works
    >> >well enough, though also have a DVR in the cable box. Don't know
    >> >what you consider "user friendly". Can you program a VCR well enough
    >> >that it doesn't blink 12:00?

    >> We've used VCRs for years but now we're looking into digital equipment
    >> now. I thought I saw a unit somewhere that records onto a hard drive
    >> and then allows you to record to a DVD if you want to keep it. I think
    >> it was Samsung. Perhaps this would be better. Not sure if it had a
    >> digital tuner though.

    >There are many such units. Our LiteOn is about three years old and
    >the idea wasn't new then. I've rarely used the tuner though, rather
    >the cable box's tuner.

    Tivo's will do that by copying across your home network to your pc,
    then burn from your pc's dvd burner.
    Max, Dec 9, 2007
  9. Consumer

    krw Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 22:49:22 -0500, krw <> graced this
    > newsgroup with:
    >
    > >In article <>, nospam-
    > > says...

    > >> We've used VCRs for years but now we're looking into digital equipment
    > >> now. I thought I saw a unit somewhere that records onto a hard drive
    > >> and then allows you to record to a DVD if you want to keep it. I think
    > >> it was Samsung. Perhaps this would be better. Not sure if it had a
    > >> digital tuner though.

    > >There are many such units. Our LiteOn is about three years old and
    > >the idea wasn't new then. I've rarely used the tuner though, rather
    > >the cable box's tuner.

    > Tivo's will do that by copying across your home network to your pc,
    > then burn from your pc's dvd burner.

    That sounds like a nice feature. Too bad the cable company's won't.
    All the hardware is there but no software (or it's disabled). The
    problem with TiVo is that it's not "cable ready", by today's
    definition of "cable ready". The cable company's box is still
    required.

    --
    Keith
    krw, Dec 9, 2007
  10. Consumer

    Max Guest

    On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 10:39:56 -0500, krw <> graced this
    newsgroup with:

    >> Tivo's will do that by copying across your home network to your pc,
    >> then burn from your pc's dvd burner.

    >That sounds like a nice feature. Too bad the cable company's won't.
    >All the hardware is there but no software (or it's disabled). The
    >problem with TiVo is that it's not "cable ready", by today's
    >definition of "cable ready". The cable company's box is still
    >required.

    actually, not any more. You just need to rent the cable cards from
    your cable provider. For the dual channel Series 3 HD Tivo, I rent
    two cable cards from Verizon FIOS for $6.50 a month. The cards
    inserted into the Tivo take the place of any set top box from the
    cable/satellite company.

    Then you just plug the cable that would normally be plugged into
    the cable companys box directly into the Tivo.
    Max, Dec 9, 2007
  11. On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 11:20:50 -0500, Max <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 10:39:56 -0500, krw <> graced this
    >newsgroup with:
    >

    >>> Tivo's will do that by copying across your home network to your pc,
    >>> then burn from your pc's dvd burner.

    >>That sounds like a nice feature. Too bad the cable company's won't.
    >>All the hardware is there but no software (or it's disabled). The
    >>problem with TiVo is that it's not "cable ready", by today's
    >>definition of "cable ready". The cable company's box is still
    >>required.

    >actually, not any more. You just need to rent the cable cards from
    >your cable provider. For the dual channel Series 3 HD Tivo, I rent
    >two cable cards from Verizon FIOS for $6.50 a month. The cards
    >inserted into the Tivo take the place of any set top box from the
    >cable/satellite company.
    >
    >Then you just plug the cable that would normally be plugged into
    >the cable companys box directly into the Tivo.

    In YOUR cable system's schema. That will not work in all cable systems.

    This has to do with theft prevention and the way a given cable company
    adopts specific tuners, etc. to keep their system secure. They certainly
    do not all use the same method. And not all cable cos even offer the
    cards you mention, especially those that have heavy security features
    incorporated into their system.

    COX, here in SD, CA, uses a Scientific Atlanta tuner for their digital
    and HD content, and another for standard service. They can poll your
    system at any time and see what channel you are tuned to, whether your
    Internet connection is live or not, etc. Road Runner (Time/Warner) uses
    an entirely different set top arrangement.
    ChairmanOfTheBored, Dec 9, 2007
  12. Consumer

    aemeijers Guest

    Max wrote:
    > On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 22:49:22 -0500, krw <> graced this
    > newsgroup with:
    >
    >> In article <>, nospam-
    >> says...

    >>> We've used VCRs for years but now we're looking into digital equipment
    >>> now. I thought I saw a unit somewhere that records onto a hard drive
    >>> and then allows you to record to a DVD if you want to keep it. I think
    >>> it was Samsung. Perhaps this would be better. Not sure if it had a
    >>> digital tuner though.

    >> There are many such units. Our LiteOn is about three years old and
    >> the idea wasn't new then. I've rarely used the tuner though, rather
    >> the cable box's tuner.

    > Tivo's will do that by copying across your home network to your pc,
    > then burn from your pc's dvd burner.

    Not real useful if you don't have a home network (or one that gets near
    the TV), or a super-powerful PC with a big drive, and a dual-layer
    burner (if you want to save movies).

    I want a stand-alone DVR with a burner, but with how crappy the content
    offerings are right now, I think I can wait till after the cutover and
    things shake out and prices come down. I'll live with the half-ass PC
    based recorder and the vintage VCRs till then.

    aem sends...
    aemeijers, Dec 9, 2007
  13. Consumer

    krw Guest

    In article <D1W6j.230890$kj1.178506@bgtnsc04-
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, says...
    > Max wrote:
    > > On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 22:49:22 -0500, krw <> graced this
    > > newsgroup with:
    > >
    > >> In article <>, nospam-
    > >> says...

    > >> There are many such units. Our LiteOn is about three years old and
    > >> the idea wasn't new then. I've rarely used the tuner though, rather
    > >> the cable box's tuner.

    > > Tivo's will do that by copying across your home network to your pc,
    > > then burn from your pc's dvd burner.
    > >

    > Not real useful if you don't have a home network (or one that gets near
    > the TV), or a super-powerful PC with a big drive, and a dual-layer
    > burner (if you want to save movies).

    All that stuff is pretty cheap these days. I bought a couple of
    500GB external drives for about $100 earlier this year. All PCs are
    "super-powerful" these days.

    > I want a stand-alone DVR with a burner, but with how crappy the content
    > offerings are right now, I think I can wait till after the cutover and
    > things shake out and prices come down. I'll live with the half-ass PC
    > based recorder and the vintage VCRs till then.

    Apparently the shake out has already happened in the DVDR arena and
    no one survived. ;-/ I have most of the stuff needed to put
    together an HTPC so will go that way, unless I can somehow connect
    directly to the cable (TW).

    --
    Keith
    krw, Dec 9, 2007
  14. On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 17:58:59 GMT, aemeijers <> wrote:

    >Max wrote:
    >> On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 22:49:22 -0500, krw <> graced this
    >> newsgroup with:
    >>
    >>> In article <>, nospam-
    >>> says...

    >>> There are many such units. Our LiteOn is about three years old and
    >>> the idea wasn't new then. I've rarely used the tuner though, rather
    >>> the cable box's tuner.

    >> Tivo's will do that by copying across your home network to your pc,
    >> then burn from your pc's dvd burner.
    >>

    >Not real useful if you don't have a home network (or one that gets near
    >the TV), or a super-powerful PC with a big drive, and a dual-layer
    >burner (if you want to save movies).
    >
    >I want a stand-alone DVR with a burner, but with how crappy the content
    >offerings are right now, I think I can wait till after the cutover and
    >things shake out and prices come down. I'll live with the half-ass PC
    >based recorder and the vintage VCRs till then.
    >
    >aem sends...

    Prices come down? Dude, a $600 DVR today is cheaper than a $300 VCR was
    in the early eighties. Perhaps you have not been on the planet long
    enough to understand the concept of inflation or the buying power of the
    dollar.

    Baseball cards are 50 times what they were then by numerical price. By
    inflation, the number is not quite that high but still quite aberrant.

    Back then a 25W stereo was $500 for a two channel dog (and we liked
    them). Now, you can get a 7 channel x 100W stereo with DTS, etc. for
    $200.

    Just so you know, that illustrates how well the electronics industry has
    done over the years, not how cheap they make things for us.

    So it will be quite a while before the "prices come down", and by the
    time they do, something newer and better will be around, and you will
    STILL piss and moan about the price.

    You young fucks do not realize just how much you've got it made in
    today's world.

    You probably need to learn how to manage your money better.
    Otherwise, you wouldn't be pissing and moaning so much about a consumer
    electronics industry that has better price points than any other industry
    throughout history, considering the engineering, and other factors that
    go into bringing the items to your store shelves.

    Unless, of course, you work at McDonalds.
    ChairmanOfTheBored, Dec 9, 2007
  15. Consumer

    aemeijers Guest

    ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 17:58:59 GMT, aemeijers <> wrote:
    >
    >> Max wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 22:49:22 -0500, krw <> graced this

    (snip)

    burn from your pc's dvd burner.

    >> Not real useful if you don't have a home network (or one that gets near
    >> the TV), or a super-powerful PC with a big drive, and a dual-layer
    >> burner (if you want to save movies).
    >>
    >> I want a stand-alone DVR with a burner, but with how crappy the content
    >> offerings are right now, I think I can wait till after the cutover and
    >> things shake out and prices come down. I'll live with the half-ass PC
    >> based recorder and the vintage VCRs till then.
    >>
    >> aem sends...

    > Prices come down? Dude, a $600 DVR today is cheaper than a $300 VCR was
    > in the early eighties. Perhaps you have not been on the planet long
    > enough to understand the concept of inflation or the buying power of the
    > dollar.
    >
    > Baseball cards are 50 times what they were then by numerical price. By
    > inflation, the number is not quite that high but still quite aberrant.
    >
    > Back then a 25W stereo was $500 for a two channel dog (and we liked
    > them). Now, you can get a 7 channel x 100W stereo with DTS, etc. for
    > $200.
    >
    > Just so you know, that illustrates how well the electronics industry has
    > done over the years, not how cheap they make things for us.
    >
    > So it will be quite a while before the "prices come down", and by the
    > time they do, something newer and better will be around, and you will
    > STILL piss and moan about the price.
    >
    > You young fucks do not realize just how much you've got it made in
    > today's world.
    >

    > You probably need to learn how to manage your money better.
    > Otherwise, you wouldn't be pissing and moaning so much about a consumer
    > electronics industry that has better price points than any other industry
    > throughout history, considering the engineering, and other factors that
    > go into bringing the items to your store shelves.
    >
    > Unless, of course, you work at McDonalds.

    Chuckle. Given your smart-ass alias, I'm probably older than you by
    several decades. I also make a rather nice living in the tech industry,
    so I probably understand Moore's law better than you, as well. (And you
    forgot to mention the impact of offshore production on prices.)

    After the cutover, when the demand for tuner boxes,new TVs, and
    HD-capable home recording hardware spikes, yes, competition will likely
    force prices down.

    No, I can easily afford whatever toys I want. But since I want to KEEP
    having plenty of money, I try not to spend more than I need to for a
    particular item, just to have the latest and greatest. I also don't want
    to pay ridiculous monthly fees to a satt or cable company for what
    should be a trivial feature- hence my quest for a stand-alone DVR. But
    given how little is out there worth watching these days, it isn't urgent.

    --
    aem sends...
    aemeijers, Dec 10, 2007
  16. Consumer

    krw Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 10:39:56 -0500, krw <> graced this
    > newsgroup with:
    >

    > >> Tivo's will do that by copying across your home network to your pc,
    > >> then burn from your pc's dvd burner.

    > >That sounds like a nice feature. Too bad the cable company's won't.
    > >All the hardware is there but no software (or it's disabled). The
    > >problem with TiVo is that it's not "cable ready", by today's
    > >definition of "cable ready". The cable company's box is still
    > >required.

    > actually, not any more. You just need to rent the cable cards from
    > your cable provider. For the dual channel Series 3 HD Tivo, I rent
    > two cable cards from Verizon FIOS for $6.50 a month. The cards
    > inserted into the Tivo take the place of any set top box from the
    > cable/satellite company.

    Not sure if TWC allows such a thing (I'll check). Why two?

    > Then you just plug the cable that would normally be plugged into
    > the cable companys box directly into the Tivo.

    What's the advantage of Tivo over the cable company's DVR? The price
    is about the same, without buying the Tivo.

    --
    Keith
    krw, Dec 10, 2007

    Grow the **** up.

    > Given your smart-ass alias,

    See above, dipshit. This forum has nyms as the norm, dumbass.

    > I'm probably older than you by
    >several decades.

    No, you are less intelligent than I am by several decades of IQ factor.

    You're a goddamned idiot. It has been several decades ago alone that
    Baseball Cards were a dime a pack. I was around over a decade before
    Unix started their clock, but I wouldn't expect a techno-twit to even
    know when that was.

    > I also make a rather nice living in the tech industry,

    Whoopie fuckin' doo.

    >so I probably understand Moore's law better than you, as well. (And you
    >forgot to mention the impact of offshore production on prices.)

    What you do NOT understand is that Moore's law is about chips, and
    computers, not Internet broadband infrastructures, datagram sizes, or
    form factor life spans. Albums lasted decades because technological
    growth was slow back then, and they are STILL in use... Fairly wide use,
    actually. Cassette tapes lasted decades and are STILL in use. CD have
    lasted decades and are STILL in use. Laser Discs lasted over two
    decades and were supplanted by DVD, and yet they are STILL in use.
    DVD will last a decade or so more... maybe. HD versions of DVD WILL last
    a decade or two as they are tied to display panel resolution technology.

    >After the cutover, when the demand for tuner boxes,new TVs, and
    >HD-capable home recording hardware spikes, yes, competition will likely
    >force prices down.

    Prices for what? Some lame, El Cheapo Chinese knock off, barely meets
    the spec piece of shit? No thanks. If I am going to get high end audio
    and video systems into my home, I am surely not going to dumb it down by
    skimping on a high end disc playback format by buying a bottom of the
    barrel bullshit piece of shit player that barely conforms to the spec.

    >No, I can easily afford whatever toys I want.

    The only thing you can't buy is a real brain for knowing what is up,
    and I don't give a rat's ass about what industry you claim to be a piece
    of.

    > But since I want to KEEP
    >having plenty of money,

    Pussy.

    >I try not to spend more than I need to for a
    >particular item,

    So you have a clock radio on your PC, and attached to your TV?

    Idiot.

    > just to have the latest and greatest.

    That isn't what it is about, dumbfuck.

    > I also don't want
    >to pay ridiculous monthly fees to a satt or cable company for what
    >should be a trivial feature-

    Get used to it. Content won't be "free" to anyone but pirate fucktards
    any time soon.

    > hence my quest for a stand-alone DVR. But
    >given how little is out there worth watching these days, it isn't urgent.

    Ahh... so the hardware is overpriced, and the content doesn't exist.

    You should go back to playing with Fischer Price toys then, dipshit.
    ChairmanOfTheBored, Dec 11, 2007
  18. Consumer

    rick++ Guest

    > Can anyone recommend a reliable and user-friendly DVR with a digital
    > tuner? I prefer the kind with only DVD recording - not VCR included.

    I notice two kinds - write to computer disk and write to DVD.
    The first gets you more hours. DVDs like tapes peak at 4-6 hours.
    The last time I looked nearly all the disk ones were tied to a monthly
    subscription service of some sort- TiVo, DirectTV, Comcast.
    Im too much of a cheapskate for this.
    Write-once CDs are about 20 cents and write many times about $2,
    but are more economical in the long term.
    rick++, Dec 11, 2007
  19. Consumer

    Rod Speed Guest

    rick++ <> wrote:

    >> Can anyone recommend a reliable and user-friendly DVR with a digital
    >> tuner? I prefer the kind with only DVD recording - not VCR included.

    > I notice two kinds - write to computer disk and write to DVD.
    > The first gets you more hours. DVDs like tapes peak at 4-6 hours.
    > The last time I looked nearly all the disk ones were tied to a monthly
    > subscription service of some sort- TiVo, DirectTV, Comcast.

    No they arent. There are plenty that can be manually programmed if thats what you want.

    > Im too much of a cheapskate for this.

    Me too, I built my own using what used to be the main PC with 4 digital capture cards.

    > Write-once CDs are about 20 cents and write many times about $2,

    The ratio is a lot lower than that now.

    > but are more economical in the long term.

    Depends how often you discard stuff once its watched.
    Rod Speed, Dec 11, 2007
  20. Consumer

    chicagofan Guest

    aemeijers wrote:
    > <big snip>
    >
    > After the cutover, when the demand for tuner boxes,new TVs, and
    > HD-capable home recording hardware spikes, yes, competition will likely
    > force prices down.
    >
    > No, I can easily afford whatever toys I want. But since I want to KEEP
    > having plenty of money, I try not to spend more than I need to for a
    > particular item, just to have the latest and greatest. I also don't want
    > to pay ridiculous monthly fees to a satt or cable company for what
    > should be a trivial feature- hence my quest for a stand-alone DVR. But
    > given how little is out there worth watching these days, it isn't urgent.
    >
    > --
    > aem sends...

    This is exactly how I feel. I've been looking for a DVR to buy for over
    a year, and have made the same decision you have. With the quality of
    TV this past year, I haven't used my DVD/VCR recorder enough to justify
    it's purchase. I am happy to wait for things to shake out.
    bj
    chicagofan, Dec 13, 2007