    shadows)? For me underexposing looks much better and is like a free stop
    worth of anti shake.

    John

    JohnR66, Oct 26, 2006

  2. JohnR66 wrote:
    > I've owned numerous compacts over the years by different makes and I
    > find nearly all of them to be a little hot on exposure by 2/3 to a
    > whole stop. This is usually apparent outside when some objects tend
    > to be a little washed out. Gamma correction helps, but getting the
    > shots with 2/3 or 1 stop under exposure seems to work best as
    > highlight detail is retained. The sky becomes a deaper blue instead
    > of very light cyan. I assume this overexposure looks better on store
    > made prints as the contrast can be high (lost shadows)? For me
    > underexposing looks much better and is like a free stop worth of anti
    > shake.
    >
    > John

    All digital cameras vary from make to make. My Nikon D70 DSLR underexposes
    by about 1/2 stop, which used to make me think it was my individual camera
    until I read in 3 separate reviews that Nikon have deliberately made it that
    way.

    So now I set the exposure to + half a stop, and it's perfect!

    Dennis

    Dennis Pogson, Oct 26, 2006

  3. "Dennis Pogson" <> wrote in message
    > JohnR66 wrote:
    >> I've owned numerous compacts over the years by different makes and I
    >> find nearly all of them to be a little hot on exposure by 2/3 to a
    >> whole stop. This is usually apparent outside when some objects tend
    >> to be a little washed out. Gamma correction helps, but getting the
    >> shots with 2/3 or 1 stop under exposure seems to work best as
    >> highlight detail is retained. The sky becomes a deaper blue instead
    >> of very light cyan. I assume this overexposure looks better on store
    >> made prints as the contrast can be high (lost shadows)? For me
    >> underexposing looks much better and is like a free stop worth of anti
    >> shake.
    >>
    >> John

    > All digital cameras vary from make to make. My Nikon D70 DSLR underexposes
    > by about 1/2 stop, which used to make me think it was my individual camera
    > until I read in 3 separate reviews that Nikon have deliberately made it
    > that
    > way.

    Some Canons err on the side of underexposure, also. This is better than
    overexposure as a little underexposure can be readily fixed.

    Charles Schuler, Oct 26, 2006
  4. "Dennis Pogson" <> wrote in message

    > All digital cameras vary from make to make. My Nikon D70 DSLR underexposes
    > by about 1/2 stop, which used to make me think it was my individual camera
    > until I read in 3 separate reviews that Nikon have deliberately made it
    > that
    > way.
    >
    > So now I set the exposure to + half a stop, and it's perfect!

    My d70s "underexposes" quite a few shots, but I can see why Nikon err on the
    side of caution as overexposing is very bad news compared with
    underexposing, which is much easier to correct if you shoot NEFs rather than
    jpegs.

    -Adrian www.boliston.co.uk

    Adrian Boliston, Oct 26, 2006
  5. JohnR66

    JohnR66 Guest

    "Charles Schuler" <> wrote in message

    > "Dennis Pogson" <> wrote in message
    >> JohnR66 wrote:
    >>> I've owned numerous compacts over the years by different makes and I
    >>> find nearly all of them to be a little hot on exposure by 2/3 to a
    >>> whole stop. This is usually apparent outside when some objects tend
    >>> to be a little washed out. Gamma correction helps, but getting the
    >>> shots with 2/3 or 1 stop under exposure seems to work best as
    >>> highlight detail is retained. The sky becomes a deaper blue instead
    >>> of very light cyan. I assume this overexposure looks better on store
    >>> made prints as the contrast can be high (lost shadows)? For me
    >>> underexposing looks much better and is like a free stop worth of anti
    >>> shake.
    >>>
    >>> John

    >> All digital cameras vary from make to make. My Nikon D70 DSLR
    >> underexposes
    >> by about 1/2 stop, which used to make me think it was my individual
    >> camera
    >> until I read in 3 separate reviews that Nikon have deliberately made it
    >> that
    >> way.

    > Some Canons err on the side of underexposure, also. This is better than
    > overexposure as a little underexposure can be readily fixed.

    In my experience, all these cameras exposed a bit hot:
    Kodak DC280
    Olympus D360L
    Fujifilm 6800z, A330
    Canon Digital Rebel (6mp), A610

    These are cameras I own or owned. Looking on the sample shots on steves
    digicams, most models seem hot to me.
    John

    JohnR66, Oct 26, 2006