    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs
    (Ottawa, Canada)
    Don Phillipson, Mar 1, 2010

  2. Don Phillipson

    smlunatick Guest

    On Mar 1, 1:05 pm, "Don Phillipson" <> wrote:
    > Two or three years ago I installed a Trendnet TEW-432BRP
    > (802.11g) wireless router to link upstairs with downstairs
    > (and out to the Internet via wireless router with antenna).
    > This home network works reasonably well about 28 days
    > a month;  the upstairs unit (Belkin 802.11g wireless card)
    > occasionally reports Very Low Signal, sometimes no signal.
    > When on line without trouble download speeds are OK, e.g.
    > 50 Mb in 10 minutes or so.
    >
    > Just lately performance has been poor just when I wanted
    > to update the income tax software . . .  Would a newer
    > router (perhaps Wireless N) give better performance?
    > --
    > Don Phillipson
    > Carlsbad Springs
    > (Ottawa, Canada)

    Router have no mechanical parts to wear out. They are subject to
    electrical "damage" because all AC power outlet do let thru power
    spikes and under voltages.
    smlunatick, Mar 1, 2010

  3. Don Phillipson

    noi ance Guest

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 08:05:01 -0500, Don Phillipson typed this message:

    > Two or three years ago I installed a Trendnet TEW-432BRP (802.11g)
    > wireless router to link upstairs with downstairs (and out to the
    > Internet via wireless router with antenna). This home network works
    > reasonably well about 28 days a month; the upstairs unit (Belkin
    > 802.11g wireless card) occasionally reports Very Low Signal, sometimes
    > no signal. When on line without trouble download speeds are OK, e.g. 50
    > Mb in 10 minutes or so.
    >
    > Just lately performance has been poor just when I wanted to update the
    > income tax software . . . Would a newer router (perhaps Wireless N)
    > give better performance?

    Yes, but only if you also switch your wireless cards to 802.11n. Then
    you'd get the max. 150N transfer rates but using 802.11g on a Wireless N
    router limits the max. to 54M transfers. And those numbers decrease
    depending on interference between router and wireless card.
    noi ance, Mar 1, 2010
  4. Don Phillipson

    Falcon ITS Guest

    I use the following equipment successfully in my own house to get
    strong wireless coverage throughtout my entire home.

    I use Powerline adapters to run ethernet over my AC power grid:

    http://www.netgear.com/Products/PowerlineNetworking/PowerlineEthernetAdapters.aspx

    I have spread out 3 Netgear WTG-604 access point routers (about $
    39.00 in Staples) and connect them each to a powerline adapter.

    I set up each access point to have the same SSID and WEP key. Each
    access points is hardwired with a static IP and I connect the
    powerline adapter to the LAN ports, NOT the WAN port. I get the same
    wireless signal throughout my entire house. I can walk around and not
    lose my signal. The signal is very strong no matter where I am.

    It has been very reliable considering how inexpensive the stuff was.

    Miguel Fra
    Falcon ITS
    http://www.falconits.com
    Falcon ITS, Mar 3, 2010
  5. Don Phillipson

    Barb Bowman Guest

    You need to upgrade the security from WEP to at least WPA, preferably WPA2. WEP
    is not safe and is easily cracked and hacked.

    On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 17:02:51 -0800 (PST), Falcon ITS <>
    wrote:

    >I use the following equipment successfully in my own house to get
    >strong wireless coverage throughtout my entire home.
    >
    >I use Powerline adapters to run ethernet over my AC power grid:
    >
    >http://www.netgear.com/Products/PowerlineNetworking/PowerlineEthernetAdapters.aspx
    >
    >I have spread out 3 Netgear WTG-604 access point routers (about $
    >39.00 in Staples) and connect them each to a powerline adapter.
    >
    >I set up each access point to have the same SSID and WEP key. Each
    >access points is hardwired with a static IP and I connect the
    >powerline adapter to the LAN ports, NOT the WAN port. I get the same
    >wireless signal throughout my entire house. I can walk around and not
    >lose my signal. The signal is very strong no matter where I am.
    >
    >It has been very reliable considering how inexpensive the stuff was.
    >

    >Miguel Fra
    >Falcon ITS
    >http://www.falconits.com

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
    Barb Bowman, Mar 3, 2010
  6. Hi
    They do not wear out from use.
    However, if used in an unventilated environment and tend to get Hot, the
    excessive heat can wear them out over time.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Mar 3, 2010
  7. Don Phillipson

    jch Guest

    Don Phillipson wrote:
    > Two or three years ago I installed a Trendnet TEW-432BRP
    > (802.11g) wireless router to link upstairs with downstairs
    > (and out to the Internet via wireless router with antenna).
    > This home network works reasonably well about 28 days
    > a month;

    Sounds hormonal to me. Is this a female network?
    jch, Mar 6, 2010
  8. Don Phillipson

    Falcon ITS Guest

    Barb,

    I know my neighbors pretty well (median age 80) so I am not quite so
    worried about my home DSL getting hacked.

    But I do agree with you, WPA2 is better.

    WEP and WPA are quite easily cracked.

    Miguel
    Falcon ITS, Mar 8, 2010
  9. Don Phillipson

    Barb Bowman Guest

    the threat is more likely to be "drive by", for example 16 year olds with time
    on their hands.

    Barb Bowman, Mar 8, 2010
  10. Don Phillipson

    James Egan Guest

    <> wrote:

    >WEP and WPA are quite easily cracked.

    Regarding WPA with a long random(ish) key, are you talking about the
    theoretical man in the middle attack which was discussed a while back
    or is this something else?

    Jim.
    James Egan, Mar 8, 2010
  11. Don Phillipson

    Lem Guest

    Falcon ITS wrote:
    > Barb,
    >
    > I know my neighbors pretty well (median age 80) so I am not quite so
    > worried about my home DSL getting hacked.
    >
    > But I do agree with you, WPA2 is better.
    >
    > WEP and WPA are quite easily cracked.
    >
    > Miguel

    WPA is not "easily cracked." There was a paper by a couple of German
    researchers in late 2008, followed by one from some Japanese researchers
    last summer, that described successful attacks on WPA-protected systems.
    Neither method actually "breaks" the encryption. For details, see
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...e-wifi-crack-puts-further-pressure-on-wpa.ars
    http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2008/11/wpa-cracked.ars

    That said, it is definitely better to go to WPA2. Or, if your hardware
    is not WPA2-capable, see if it is capable of WPA (AES), which will foil
    both methods described in the papers.

    --
    Lem

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago: