    Thank you so much.

    Min
    , Nov 18, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >I know the CIDR (classless interdomain routing) is widely used these
    >days. In the CIDR, the network ID is represented by the prefix.

    >I wonder if routers today still use the classful (class A, class B,
    >class C, etc.) routing scheme yet.

    Yes. Some features of some routers (including Cisco) still use
    the "classful" address scheme.

    For example on the Cisco PIX, ip address pools default to classful
    addressing if you omit the subnet specification.

    >How about the subnet concept which
    >is used with classful routing scheme.

    It still exists even with CIDR. The subnet change introduced by
    CIDR is that the first and last induced subnet are no longer
    reserved -- e.g. in a classful scheme if you were using a 4 bit
    subnet mask then before .0 through .63 and .192 through .255 were
    reserved and only the .64-.127 and .128-.191 were usable.
    --
    Chocolate is "more than a food but less than a drug" -- RJ Huxtable
    Walter Roberson, Nov 18, 2005

  3. In article <dlkkup$g30$>,
    -cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > <> wrote:
    > >I know the CIDR (classless interdomain routing) is widely used these
    > >days. In the CIDR, the network ID is represented by the prefix.

    > >I wonder if routers today still use the classful (class A, class B,
    > >class C, etc.) routing scheme yet.

    > Yes. Some features of some routers (including Cisco) still use
    > the "classful" address scheme.
    >
    > For example on the Cisco PIX, ip address pools default to classful
    > addressing if you omit the subnet specification.
    >
    > >How about the subnet concept which
    > >is used with classful routing scheme.

    > It still exists even with CIDR. The subnet change introduced by
    > CIDR is that the first and last induced subnet are no longer
    > reserved -- e.g. in a classful scheme if you were using a 4 bit
    > subnet mask then before .0 through .63 and .192 through .255 were
    > reserved and only the .64-.127 and .128-.191 were usable.

    And Cisco router require you to configure "no ip subnet-zero" to allow
    you to use the all-0 and all-1 subnets.

    The routing table is also organized internally based on classful
    networks. So when you use "show ip route", it groups things by classful
    networks, with headings like "192.168.10.0/24 is subnetted".

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    Barry Margolin, Nov 18, 2005