do we really-really need Photoshop Elements?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Giovanni Azua, May 17, 2005.

  1. Hello all,

    I think I have the level in photography begginer-intermediate ... previous
    experience with Russian camera Zenit ... :p I took pictures for a living in
    Cuba :))) I mean to support my Univ. studies :)))

    I got my new D70 kit and bought the 70-300mm ED lens and have
    been playing with all the new equipment. I have used the following
    software to fix my pictures: Nikon Photo Editor along with PictureProject
    and Adobe Photoshop Elements and to be honest 4/5 pictures I edited
    with both I got the best results using Nikon Editor ... I have been using
    in general the features (from both Nikon vs Elements):

    - Adjust contrast (Elements & NikonEditor)
    - Adjust colors (Elements & NikonEditor)
    - Adjust level (Elements & NikonEditor)
    - Changing the brightness or exposure (Elements & NikonEditor)
    - Smart Fix (Elements)

    Most of the time using it Nikon Editor produces much better results,
    I have additionally noticed that most of the times the "Smart Fix" option
    from Photoshop Elements totally screws the photos :(. Additionally, the
    "Fix Brush" option of Photoshop Elements looks to me as a very well
    marketed COPY and PASTE functionality.

    Remaining Elements functionality: Artistic Effects and Filters (do we really
    need
    all of them?)

    I will install and test also "Picasa 2" freely available from Google and see
    if those
    Artistic Effects and Filtering features are available freely ... if so why
    would you
    bother buying Photoshop Elements?

    I have uploaded some of my pictures into amazon under "Most recently added"
    for D70 kit:

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cu...oding=UTF8&sort=newest&rnd=1116344014#gallery

    Most of these fixed using Nikon Editor ... I would realllyyy appreciate
    feedback on those
    regarding quality etc. I dumped per photo the most important details e.g.
    ISO, Quality, Focal
    Length etc.

    Best Regards,
    Giovanni

    Giovanni Azua, May 17, 2005

  2. Giovanni Azua

    Craig Flory Guest

    I own & use Adobe Photoshop CS ... but also own Elements(came with
    a scanner). Elements would be far superior to your Nikon software ... if you
    learn how to use it fully. I do NOT recommend using auto-controls. Learn to
    use all the individual tools. I am a full time professional photographer and
    need the full version of Photoshop but do have some fellow pros who use
    Elements on all their professional images. So don't give up on Elements
    before yoj exhaust all avenues to learning how to use it.

    Craig Flory

    Craig Flory, May 17, 2005

  3. It depends entirely on your needs. Some people need maximum control and
    would use Photoshop CS. Others with lesser need would be happy with PSE.
    You may use it or anything else that meets your needs. If you are bothered
    about the cost, you may try GIPM (www.gimp.org) which is free. I got a
    free copy of PSE2, tried it for a while but then switched back to Gimp. It
    is all about feeling comfortable with a software that meets your needs.

    --

    Gautam Majumdar

    Please send e-mails to

    Gautam Majumdar, May 17, 2005
  4. Giovanni Azua

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Giovanni Azua wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I think I have the level in photography begginer-intermediate ... previous
    > experience with Russian camera Zenit ... :p I took pictures for a living in
    > Cuba :))) I mean to support my Univ. studies :)))
    >
    > I got my new D70 kit and bought the 70-300mm ED lens and have
    > been playing with all the new equipment. I have used the following
    > software to fix my pictures: Nikon Photo Editor along with PictureProject
    > and Adobe Photoshop Elements and to be honest 4/5 pictures I edited
    > with both I got the best results using Nikon Editor ... I have been using
    > in general the features (from both Nikon vs Elements):
    >
    > - Adjust contrast (Elements & NikonEditor)
    > - Adjust colors (Elements & NikonEditor)
    > - Adjust level (Elements & NikonEditor)
    > - Changing the brightness or exposure (Elements & NikonEditor)
    > - Smart Fix (Elements)
    >
    > Most of the time using it Nikon Editor produces much better results,
    > I have additionally noticed that most of the times the "Smart Fix" option
    > from Photoshop Elements totally screws the photos :(. Additionally, the
    > "Fix Brush" option of Photoshop Elements looks to me as a very well
    > marketed COPY and PASTE functionality.
    >
    > Remaining Elements functionality: Artistic Effects and Filters (do we really
    > need
    > all of them?)
    >
    > I will install and test also "Picasa 2" freely available from Google and see
    > if those
    > Artistic Effects and Filtering features are available freely ... if so why
    > would you
    > bother buying Photoshop Elements?
    >
    > I have uploaded some of my pictures into amazon under "Most recently added"
    > for D70 kit:
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cu...oding=UTF8&sort=newest&rnd=1116344014#gallery
    >
    > Most of these fixed using Nikon Editor ... I would realllyyy appreciate
    > feedback on those
    > regarding quality etc. I dumped per photo the most important details e.g.
    > ISO, Quality, Focal
    > Length etc.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Giovanni

    If you think Picasa 2 is any competition for PSE3, you need to learn a
    bit more about the programs. They are about like a bicycle compared to
    a Rolls.
    Picasa 2 is a very nice bicycle, but PSE3 it isn't.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, May 18, 2005
  5. Giovanni Azua

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Craig Flory wrote:
    > I own & use Adobe Photoshop CS ... but also own Elements(came with
    > a scanner). Elements would be far superior to your Nikon software ... if you
    > learn how to use it fully. I do NOT recommend using auto-controls. Learn to
    > use all the individual tools. I am a full time professional photographer and
    > need the full version of Photoshop but do have some fellow pros who use
    > Elements on all their professional images. So don't give up on Elements
    > before yoj exhaust all avenues to learning how to use it.
    >
    > Craig Flory

    While autofix can royally screw up some photos, it works to do all the
    fixing I need for 90% of the photos I need to edit. That is in PSE3.
    If more flexibility is needed, then Quickfix gives more control, and
    then there is the full editor, which has most of the functionality of PS
    CS, and then there is the Organizer.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, May 18, 2005
  6. Which programs do panoramic stitching?

    Logan Spitznauer, May 18, 2005
  7. On Tue, 17 May 2005 21:44:18 -0500, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >Giovanni Azua wrote:
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> I think I have the level in photography begginer-intermediate ... previous
    >> experience with Russian camera Zenit ... :p I took pictures for a living in
    >> Cuba :))) I mean to support my Univ. studies :)))
    >>
    >> I got my new D70 kit and bought the 70-300mm ED lens and have
    >> been playing with all the new equipment. I have used the following
    >> software to fix my pictures: Nikon Photo Editor along with PictureProject
    >> and Adobe Photoshop Elements and to be honest 4/5 pictures I edited
    >> with both I got the best results using Nikon Editor ... I have been using
    >> in general the features (from both Nikon vs Elements):
    >>
    >> - Adjust contrast (Elements & NikonEditor)
    >> - Adjust colors (Elements & NikonEditor)
    >> - Adjust level (Elements & NikonEditor)
    >> - Changing the brightness or exposure (Elements & NikonEditor)
    >> - Smart Fix (Elements)
    >>
    >> Most of the time using it Nikon Editor produces much better results,
    >> I have additionally noticed that most of the times the "Smart Fix" option
    >> from Photoshop Elements totally screws the photos :(. Additionally, the
    >> "Fix Brush" option of Photoshop Elements looks to me as a very well
    >> marketed COPY and PASTE functionality.
    >>
    >> Remaining Elements functionality: Artistic Effects and Filters (do we really
    >> need
    >> all of them?)
    >>
    >> I will install and test also "Picasa 2" freely available from Google and see
    >> if those
    >> Artistic Effects and Filtering features are available freely ... if so why
    >> would you
    >> bother buying Photoshop Elements?
    >>
    >> I have uploaded some of my pictures into amazon under "Most recently added"
    >> for D70 kit:
    >>
    >> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cu...oding=UTF8&sort=newest&rnd=1116344014#gallery
    >>
    >> Most of these fixed using Nikon Editor ... I would realllyyy appreciate
    >> feedback on those
    >> regarding quality etc. I dumped per photo the most important details e.g.
    >> ISO, Quality, Focal
    >> Length etc.
    >>
    >> Best Regards,
    >> Giovanni
    >>

    >If you think Picasa 2 is any competition for PSE3, you need to learn a
    >bit more about the programs. They are about like a bicycle compared to
    >a Rolls.
    >Picasa 2 is a very nice bicycle, but PSE3 it isn't.

    PSE3 is probably as much photoshop as most casual users need. Adding
    the Hidden Elements package brings it even closer to CS2 by adding
    curves, color balance and more.

    Oliver Costich, May 18, 2005