    seem like we have to start all over again with Vista. My company just
    bought a bunch of new computers with XP and retired those window 2000 pc
    few months ago, now Vista came out.... what the hck?
    canixs, Feb 23, 2007

  2. canixs

    BSchnur Guest

    For a fair number of businesses -- especially the larger ones --
    deploying a new OS is a big deal. So they tend to be conservative
    about it and often will put off deployment for 6 months or more after
    the new OS hits the street. Microsoft did a bit of a 'split timing'
    for Vista (they may have done this in the past) with the RTM code being
    made available last November and the formal 'street launch' three
    months later.

    One thing that Microsoft has done with the Vista launch (and I'm not
    sure they didn't do this with XP) is put a strong degree of
    'encouragement' on the end user cycle to jump to Vista NOW. So if your
    company is purchasing systems via big box outlets, they are likely
    getting Vista.

    For me, I tend to be a big of a 'play with the new stuff on test
    systems' but deploy older stuff sort of guy. For production systems
    I'm inclined to wait until I see a solid update cycle showing up -- not
    only with the OS side of things, but also with the hardware and third
    party software side of things. I figure I can help and support those
    who are in a VISTA NOW mode, but also work with clients less inclined
    to be early adopters.

    --
    Barry Schnur
    BSchnur, Feb 23, 2007

  3. Rather more than 4 years, just to be clear. And I suspect we'll see another
    new version of Windows in less than 4 years.

    But consider that the hardware has really had a couple of generations of
    improvement since the Windows 2000 time frame. Without any real additional
    requirements from the operating system - XP's requirements weren't
    substantially different from 2000's. Vista, on the other hand...

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 23, 2007
  4. canixs

    BSchnur Guest

    > But consider that the hardware has really had a couple of generations of
    > improvement since the Windows 2000 time frame. Without any real additional
    > requirements from the operating system - XP's requirements weren't
    > substantially different from 2000's. Vista, on the other hand...

    Indeed -- I've clients in 'skip version' mode -- eventually they will
    go from 2000 to Vista -- but given their comfort zone with 2000, going
    to Vista is something I expect them to do next year (they didn't go to
    2000 until SP3).

    --
    Barry Schnur
    BSchnur, Feb 23, 2007
  5. Do we have a beta release for new OS yet? :)

    =?Utf-8?B?Y2FuaXhz?=, Feb 23, 2007
  6. canixs

    Theo Guest

    What OS beta are you referring to?

    Theo, Feb 23, 2007
  7. Not at all, no one is forcing you to upgrade. It's you that wants to keep
    up with all the new stuff, but you're not being an outcast if you don't.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    http://www.coribright.com/windows

    Cari \(MS-MVP\), Feb 23, 2007
  8. canixs

    canixs Guest

    I sleep better knowing that I am using the latest OS. Especially when it
    comes to my girl friend kept bugging me about why she can't get to yahoo
    email when she's offline.

    canixs, Feb 23, 2007
  9. canixs

    BSchnur Guest

    Not beta -- but no doubt more than simply on the Microsoft design
    whiteboard.

    --
    Barry Schnur
    BSchnur, Feb 23, 2007
  10. canixs

    BSchnur Guest

    > Do we have a beta release for new OS yet? :)

    The trolls would declare Vista to be it <g>

    --
    Barry Schnur
    BSchnur, Feb 23, 2007
  11. canixs

    Dshai Guest

    How come ya gotta bring us trolls up?...<g>

    --

    Dshai

    Life is only limited by those living it...

    Dshai, Feb 25, 2007
  12. canixs

    BSchnur Guest

    Moi?? Raise trolls?? I have no kids that I know of....

    --
    Barry Schnur
    BSchnur, Feb 25, 2007