    equpment you use, so long as it talks SIP?????

    Thanks,

    Al

    alf, Mar 24, 2005

  2. alf wrote:
    > Sorry for if this sounds naive, but can anyone tell me if it's
    > possible to use e.g. a Vonage phone adapter, or a third-party SIP
    > phone, with a connection from say, Packet8 etc.. In other words, do
    > the service providers tie you in to using their own equipment? Surely
    > if they all use the SIP protocol, then it shouldn't matter what
    > equpment you use, so long as it talks SIP?????
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Al

    Depends. If you buy a sip ATA from vonage, they lock it with a password
    so you cannot reconfigure it and use with another service.

    However if you buy your own sip hardware from an electronics reseller,
    most providors will be more than happy to let you use it with their service.

    T. Sean Weintz, Mar 24, 2005

  3. Most providers want you to use their equipment with their service.
    Sometimes you can fake it, e.g., Vonagee offers an optional softphone
    as a second line and I've heard that it's not hard to get the
    parameters out of the softphone and configure them into other devices.

    Broadvoice is the exception, with "bring your own device" plans that
    support just about anything you'd want to use it with, from IP phones
    to Asterisk PBXes.

    John R. Levine, Mar 24, 2005
  4. alf

    Vox Humana Guest

    "John R. Levine" <> wrote in message
    > Most providers want you to use their equipment with their service.
    > Sometimes you can fake it, e.g., Vonagee offers an optional softphone
    > as a second line and I've heard that it's not hard to get the
    > parameters out of the softphone and configure them into other devices.
    >
    > Broadvoice is the exception, with "bring your own device" plans that
    > support just about anything you'd want to use it with, from IP phones
    > to Asterisk PBXes.

    Teliax is another exception. You can use a softphone, your own hardware, or
    you can get hardware for them. They sell the Linksys PAP2-NA (and the
    version with a router) that are not unlocked. They also will work with you
    in the configuration of you asterisk hardware and so on.

    Vox Humana, Mar 24, 2005
  5. alf

    Kyler Laird Guest

    (John R. Levine) writes:

    >Broadvoice is the exception, with "bring your own device" plans that
    >support just about anything you'd want to use it with, from IP phones
    >to Asterisk PBXes.

    I've used Broadvoice, Gafachi, VoicePulse, and LiveVoIP with my own
    equipment.
    http://voip-info.org/wiki-VOIP Service Providers Residential
    I highly recommend using a provider who won't try to lock down your
    use. The flexibility is worthwhile.

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Mar 25, 2005
  6. alf

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Kyler Laird <> wrote:
    > I've used Broadvoice, Gafachi, VoicePulse, and LiveVoIP with my own
    > equipment.

    Does LiveVoIP support rfc2833 touch-tone delivery (outbound)?

    miguel
    --
    Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
    Latest photos: Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Israel, Palestine

    Miguel Cruz, Mar 25, 2005
  7. alf

    Vox Humana Guest

    "Vox Humana" <> wrote in message

    > "John R. Levine" <> wrote in message
    > > Most providers want you to use their equipment with their service.
    > > Sometimes you can fake it, e.g., Vonagee offers an optional softphone
    > > as a second line and I've heard that it's not hard to get the
    > > parameters out of the softphone and configure them into other devices.
    > >
    > > Broadvoice is the exception, with "bring your own device" plans that
    > > support just about anything you'd want to use it with, from IP phones
    > > to Asterisk PBXes.

    > Teliax is another exception. You can use a softphone, your own hardware,

    or
    > you can get hardware for them. They sell the Linksys PAP2-NA (and the
    > version with a router) that are not unlocked. They also will work with

    you
    > in the configuration of you asterisk hardware and so on.

    I ment to say that they sell "unlocked" equipment.

    Vox Humana, Mar 25, 2005
  8. alf

    Kyler Laird Guest

    (Miguel Cruz) writes:

    >Does LiveVoIP support rfc2833 touch-tone delivery (outbound)?

    I use LiveVoIP for all of my outgoing calls from home these days and
    I do call services which require DTMF sometimes. This is all over
    IAX2.

    I thought I learned that IAX only supports out-of-band signalling.
    That would be RFC2833, right?

    I'll be happy to run some tests.

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Mar 26, 2005