    Just trying to avoid buying 2 or 3 USB 3G adapters if possible.

    Regards

    Squigs
    Squiggle, Feb 20, 2010

  2. Squiggle

    Richard Guest

    Squiggle wrote:
    > I realise there are several different models of Vodem, but i'm wondering
    > which (if any) vodems will work on 2degrees and XT?
    > Or will a telecom T-stick work on Vodafone and 2 degrees? (with the
    > appropriate SIM inserted of course)
    >
    > Just trying to avoid buying 2 or 3 USB 3G adapters if possible.

    some of the older slow ones had UMTS 850 support for XT on them.

    They all do GPRS with edge which is all that 2degrees offer at the
    moment, but at their prices you would be an idiot to use it for more
    than a quick status update or something.

    2 degrees will be only 2100MHz 3g, so any card should do it when they
    finally launch it, whenver that will be.
    Richard, Feb 20, 2010

  3. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Richard threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > Squiggle wrote:
    >> I realise there are several different models of Vodem, but i'm wondering
    >> which (if any) vodems will work on 2degrees and XT?
    >> Or will a telecom T-stick work on Vodafone and 2 degrees? (with the
    >> appropriate SIM inserted of course)
    >>
    >> Just trying to avoid buying 2 or 3 USB 3G adapters if possible.

    > some of the older slow ones had UMTS 850 support for XT on them.
    >
    > They all do GPRS with edge which is all that 2degrees offer at the
    > moment, but at their prices you would be an idiot to use it for more
    > than a quick status update or something.
    >
    > 2 degrees will be only 2100MHz 3g, so any card should do it when they
    > finally launch it, whenver that will be.

    so vodafone is UMTS 900?, gprs and hsdpa 2100?
    2 degrees is gprs 1800? and eventually hsdpa 2100?
    and telecom XT is umts850 only?

    I'll admit being clueless about all the standards.. i gave up keeping
    track of it all about the time you stopped putting serial cables up the
    back of motorola bricks :)
    Squiggle, Feb 20, 2010
  4. Squiggle

    Richard Guest

    Squiggle wrote:

    > so vodafone is UMTS 900?, gprs and hsdpa 2100?
    > 2 degrees is gprs 1800? and eventually hsdpa 2100?
    > and telecom XT is umts850 only?
    >

    > I'll admit being clueless about all the standards.. i gave up keeping
    > track of it all about the time you stopped putting serial cables up the
    > back of motorola bricks :)

    VF is UMTS2100 in urban areas, with 900 coming soon so they say. Will
    help a lot since XT is so much better at giving 3g inside those popular
    things most people have called buildings.

    2degrees is 900 GPRS with edge, so its somewhat usable compared to VF's
    old GPRS only network. They claim to have 1800 as well but I have no way
    to verify that.

    Telecom has some 2100 sites which is why some people say that phoens
    work on XT, only to be disappointed when they leave the CBD or airport
    corrodor only to see nothing.
    Richard, Feb 20, 2010
  5. Squiggle

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 20:04:25 +1300, Squiggle wrote:

    > I realise there are several different models of Vodem, but i'm wondering
    > which (if any) vodems will work on 2degrees and XT? Or will a telecom
    > T-stick work on Vodafone and 2 degrees? (with the appropriate SIM
    > inserted of course)
    >
    > Just trying to avoid buying 2 or 3 USB 3G adapters if possible.

    Heh heh. Better question is: Is the XT network able to work reliably!?!

    Sweetpea, Feb 20, 2010
  6. Squiggle

    Richard Guest

    Sweetpea wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 20:04:25 +1300, Squiggle wrote:
    >
    >> I realise there are several different models of Vodem, but i'm wondering
    >> which (if any) vodems will work on 2degrees and XT? Or will a telecom
    >> T-stick work on Vodafone and 2 degrees? (with the appropriate SIM
    >> inserted of course)
    >>
    >> Just trying to avoid buying 2 or 3 USB 3G adapters if possible.

    > Heh heh. Better question is: Is the XT network able to work reliably!?!

    Been fine here north of Taupo ;)
    Richard, Feb 20, 2010
  7. Squiggle

    David Empson Guest

    Richard <> wrote:

    > Squiggle wrote:
    >
    > > so vodafone is UMTS 900?, gprs and hsdpa 2100?
    > > 2 degrees is gprs 1800? and eventually hsdpa 2100?
    > > and telecom XT is umts850 only?
    > >
    > > I'll admit being clueless about all the standards.. i gave up keeping
    > > track of it all about the time you stopped putting serial cables up the
    > > back of motorola bricks :)

    > VF is UMTS2100 in urban areas, with 900 coming soon so they say. Will
    > help a lot since XT is so much better at giving 3g inside those popular
    > things most people have called buildings.

    Interesting. Do you know if they are planning to shut down UMTS2100, or
    keep it runnng alongside UMTS900?

    Vodafone is the official network for the iPhone in New Zealand (and the
    only one offering a discount on the iPhone for a term contract), but
    current iPhone models can't do UMTS at 900 MHz.

    Given Vodafone's current network configuration, the iPhone can't get 3G
    outside of main centres (nor in main centres if the 2100 MHz cell sites
    are temporary offline or overloaded). It drops to GPRS on 900 MHz.

    Amusingly, the iPhone works perfectly nationwide on Telecom XT, with
    UMTS at 850 MHz. (Assuming Telecom XT is working, of course.)

    If Vodafone shuts off their UMTS2100 network, lots of iPhone users will
    be switching to Telecom XT.

    I suppose there isn't much point building out a 2100 network nationwide
    as the cell sites would need to be more closely spaced to get similar
    coverage.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Feb 20, 2010
  8. Squiggle

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 22:58:53 +1300, Richard wrote:

    > VF is UMTS2100 in urban areas, with 900 coming soon so they say. Will
    > help a lot since XT is so much better at giving 3g inside those popular
    > things most people have called buildings.

    Translated: radiation out of the XT network of transmitters is much better at penetrating multiple solid
    objects.

    Sweetpea, Feb 20, 2010
  9. In message <1je8ksd.9hj6tb1pehbpmN%>, David Empson
    wrote:

    > Vodafone is the official network for the iPhone in New Zealand (and the
    > only one offering a discount on the iPhone for a term contract), but
    > current iPhone models can't do UMTS at 900 MHz.

    Choice is a wonderful thing, isn’t it...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 20, 2010
  10. Squiggle

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-02-20, Richard <> wrote:
    > Sweetpea wrote:
    >> On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 20:04:25 +1300, Squiggle wrote:
    >>
    >>> I realise there are several different models of Vodem, but i'm wondering
    >>> which (if any) vodems will work on 2degrees and XT? Or will a telecom
    >>> T-stick work on Vodafone and 2 degrees? (with the appropriate SIM
    >>> inserted of course)
    >>>
    >>> Just trying to avoid buying 2 or 3 USB 3G adapters if possible.

    >> Heh heh. Better question is: Is the XT network able to work reliably!?!

    > Been fine here north of Taupo ;)

    Stand by for this to be corrected, real soon now.
    Gordon, Feb 22, 2010