    va Guest

    I want to compare diff. broadband service through internet users. Pls give
    me yr comment.

    va, Aug 7, 2003

  2. va

    Jim PKP Guest

    In article <bgu52i$>,
    says...
    > I want to compare diff. broadband service through internet users. Pls give
    > me yr comment.

    I assume you're in the U.S.?

    --
    | | PKP |

    Jim PKP, Aug 7, 2003

  3. va

    Brian H¹© Guest

    va said:

    > I want to compare diff. broadband service through internet users. Pls give
    > me yr comment.

    Australia, New Zealand, UK, US, Canada?

    Brian H¹©, Aug 7, 2003
  4. va

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H¹© continued:

    > va said:
    >
    >> I want to compare diff. broadband service through internet users.
    >> Pls give me yr comment.

    > Australia, New Zealand, UK, US, Canada?

    Or Bognor Regis.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Aug 7, 2003
  5. va

    chino2 Guest

    Regarding ISP's From PC Magazine's 14 Annual Reader Survey:

    *********************************

    ISPs
    August 1, 2001

    "AOL 6.0 stinks," grouses David Luster, a Naperville, Illinois, sales and
    marketing director. But he is quick to add, "I have no plans to change at
    this time. I have a teenager who loves the private-buddy chat list and
    instant-messaging features." With ISPs, there are two immutable rules among
    PC Magazine readers:

    Click here
    to view the results of our ISPs survey.
    Online Extra:
    Click here
    for more detailed results in PDF format.
    a.. AOL and (to a somewhat lesser extent) MSN annoy subscribers in virtually
    every way, but people keep coming back for more. Last year, the two tied as
    the ISP least likely to satisfy, with worse-than-average scores on seven out
    of ten metrics, including overall satisfaction. This year, AOL edges further
    downward, receiving below-average scores on all ten of our satisfaction
    measures. MSN received eight subpar scores.

    a.. The faster the connection, the happier the customer. Broadband
    providers, with throughput in the hundreds of kilobits per second (and
    company claims of throughput ranging up to megabytes per second), have
    highly satisfied subscribers. Dial-up-connection ISPs have customers with
    average satisfaction, at best. AT&T WorldNet is the sole exception to this
    rule. For the second straight year, readers gave its dial-up connections
    better-than-average scores. (AT&T's broadband business is rated separately
    as Excite@Home.)

    The mood of many AOL customers seems to be "We're mad as hell, and we're
    going to keep on taking it." Typically, they don't want to give up the
    service, because they like the chat, buddy lists, instant messaging, and
    even their unchanging e-mail addresses. "AOL's support is mediocre. I just
    use them because it's a pain in the rear to change e-mail addresses,"
    laments one customer. (If you don't want to change e-mail addresses every
    time you switch ISPs, consider registering your own domain, using a
    forwarding service such as Bigfoot.com or Web-based e-mail).

    ISPs

    Customers also perceive AOL 6.0, the current version, as an inferior
    upgrade. "5.0 was much more reliable and didn't eat up so much memory," was
    a typical response from our readers. We were unable to get a comment from
    AOL regarding its poor showing on our survey.

    MSN didn't fare much better, with eight below-average scores and two average
    scores. A representative of MSN said customers may have not had enough
    access: "We've been growing tremendously-over 5 million customers now. Over
    the last year, we've been focusing on monitoring sites, and if we get to a
    threshold [of saturation], we'll add another POP (point of presence) for
    more simultaneous connections." MSN is also trying to anticipate customer
    needs and adapt. So many MSN customers were trying to create e-mails from
    the browser bar that MSN can now recognize an e-mail address there and
    transfer the address to the e-mail package.

    By comparison, broadband subscribers have few complaints. Excite@Home (which
    also goes under local names such as Comcast@Home or Cox@Home) and Road
    Runner, the only exclusively broadband providers rated, scored better than
    average for overall satisfaction. Edward Goff, an electrical supervisor in
    Newport News, Virginia, notes that his Cox@Home broadband service is usually
    outstanding. "Once in a while I do experience some slowdown in service, but
    it's still faster than my [office] dial-up service. I'd recommend the cable
    modem to anyone who has the service available."

    Many readers echoed Goff's concern about slowdowns at peak periods, as well
    as occasional service failures. Readers also complained about e-mail outages
    and about the file-size limit (typically 5MB to 8MB) for individual e-mail
    messages. Though you could download hundreds of megabytes of files daily if
    you were so inclined, sending a single 10MB e-mail message (an album of
    family photos, for example) would be rejected.

    As much as they generally love broadband, people don't like the price tag.
    Customers rated both of the broadband ISPs' monthly fees below average. On
    the flip side, great rates don't excuse lousy service. Free ISP Juno didn't
    make up for low scores in nearly every other category.

    Internet business hasn't gone entirely to behemoths and broadband providers.
    About 20 percent of readers still use local ISPs. And though overall
    satisfaction was average, people reported above-average satisfaction with
    setup, rates, tech support, and e-mail service.

    *************************

    Source: http://www.pcmag.com/print_article/0,3048,a=7558,00.asp

    Reasons for choosing: (image)
    http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/0/0,3363,i=2890,00.gif

    Sincerely .. chino2 ..
    *************************

    chino2, Aug 7, 2003
  6. va

    bb3 Guest

    www.dslreports.com

    bb3, Aug 7, 2003
  7. va

    Boomer Guest

    "chino2" <> wrote in
    [snip]
    > begin 666 pcm_spacer.gif

    > `
    > end

    Please no attachments. Post in plain text. Please!

    Boomer, Aug 7, 2003
  8. va

    Boomer Guest

    Jim PKP <> wrote in

    > In article <bgu52i$>,
    > says...
    >> I want to compare diff. broadband service through internet
    >> users. Pls give me yr comment.
    >>

    > I assume you're in the U.S.?

    You might want to peek at the headers. :)

    Boomer, Aug 7, 2003
  9. va

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Jim PKP said:

    > In article <3f32b470$0$157$>,
    > says...
    >> Jim PKP <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> In article <bgu52i$>,
    >>> says...
    >>>>
    >>> I assume you're in the U.S.?
    >>>

    >> You might want to peek at the headers. :)
    >>

    > you miss my point

    I didn't, and I don't think "kill da rabbit" did either ;-)

    Brian H¹©, Aug 7, 2003
  10. va

    Jim PKP Guest

    In article <UKyYa.6967$>,
    says...

    > >> You might want to peek at the headers. :)
    > >>

    > > you miss my point
    > >

    > I didn't, and I don't think "kill da rabbit" did either ;-)

    read all headers and body before i type (-:

    --
    | | PKP |

    Jim PKP, Aug 7, 2003
  11. va

    Jim Guest

    Amazing. An entire thread and we still haven't found out anything (well
    except for the entertaining Yakko interlude). Of course, I have no clue
    which is best so I'm sure not helping the matter. ;-)

    Jim, Aug 8, 2003
  12. va

    Boomer Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote message ID

    > Amazing. An entire thread and we still haven't found out
    > anything (well except for the entertaining Yakko interlude). Of
    > course, I have no clue which is best so I'm sure not helping the
    > matter. ;-)
    >

    > bb3 <> wrote in message
    > .
    >>
    >> "va" <> wrote in message
    >> > I want to compare diff. broadband service through internet
    >> > users.

    > Pls
    >> give
    >> > me yr comment.
    >> >

    >> www.dslreports.com

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    TINW

    Boomer, Aug 8, 2003
  13. va

    Jim Guest

    Jim, Aug 8, 2003
  14. va

    Boomer Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote message ID

    > Boomer <> wrote in message
    >> "Jim" <> wrote message ID
    >>
    >> > Amazing. An entire thread and we still haven't found out
    >> > anything (well except for the entertaining Yakko interlude).
    >> > Of course, I have no clue which is best so I'm sure not
    >> > helping the matter. ;-)
    >> >

    >> > bb3 <> wrote in message
    >> > t.. .

    >> > Pls