    okay...but its still shit. Currently I'm trying to get a file that has
    24 seeds and I'm getting about...well....0.2k. LOL

    Wtf? Surely this cannot be correct? Do Orcon block peer to peer?

    Bobs, Nov 29, 2007

  2. Bobs

    EMB Guest

    Bobs wrote:
    > I've been using uTorrent for a few days now to get some files, and quite
    > frankly, it sucks arse. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about really.
    > Downloading is so bloody slow it's like being back on dialup. I'm
    > lucky to crack 20k, usually it hovers around 2 to 3k at best.
    >
    > I've setup port forwarding, uTorrent says everything is working
    > okay...but its still shit. Currently I'm trying to get a file that has
    > 24 seeds and I'm getting about...well....0.2k. LOL
    >
    > Wtf? Surely this cannot be correct? Do Orcon block peer to peer?

    I'm fairly certain they throttle it rather aggressively.

    EMB, Nov 29, 2007

  3. Bobs

    Puddle Guest

    Bobs wrote:
    > I've been using uTorrent for a few days now to get some files, and quite
    > frankly, it sucks arse. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about really.
    > Downloading is so bloody slow it's like being back on dialup. I'm
    > lucky to crack 20k, usually it hovers around 2 to 3k at best.
    >
    > I've setup port forwarding, uTorrent says everything is working
    > okay...but its still shit. Currently I'm trying to get a file that has
    > 24 seeds and I'm getting about...well....0.2k. LOL
    >
    > Wtf? Surely this cannot be correct? Do Orcon block peer to peer?

    I am with Orcon also and I can tell you that Torrents suck during the
    day and especially in the evening, 3k is all you will get. The best
    thing is to leave your PC running overnight and use the sheduler in
    utorrent to come on at like 2am, then it will fly, it will max out your
    connection. Torrents rock, unfortuantely NZ isp's don't.

    Puddle, Nov 29, 2007
  4. Bobs

    Puddle Guest

    Bobs wrote:
    > I've been using uTorrent for a few days now to get some files, and quite
    > frankly, it sucks arse. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about really.
    > Downloading is so bloody slow it's like being back on dialup. I'm
    > lucky to crack 20k, usually it hovers around 2 to 3k at best.
    >
    > I've setup port forwarding, uTorrent says everything is working
    > okay...but its still shit. Currently I'm trying to get a file that has
    > 24 seeds and I'm getting about...well....0.2k. LOL
    >
    > Wtf? Surely this cannot be correct? Do Orcon block peer to peer?

    Oh and no they don't block it, nor do they actively slow it down.

    They "deprioritise" it. In other words if lots of people are surfing
    the net and using voip or gaming p2p will be the last priority and thus
    suck :). The only time it is worth even trying to use it is during the
    small hours.

    Puddle, Nov 29, 2007
  5. Bobs

    Squiggle Guest

    Bobs wrote:
    > I've been using uTorrent for a few days now to get some files, and quite
    > frankly, it sucks arse. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about really.
    > Downloading is so bloody slow it's like being back on dialup. I'm
    > lucky to crack 20k, usually it hovers around 2 to 3k at best.
    >
    > I've setup port forwarding, uTorrent says everything is working
    > okay...but its still shit. Currently I'm trying to get a file that has
    > 24 seeds and I'm getting about...well....0.2k. LOL
    >
    > Wtf? Surely this cannot be correct? Do Orcon block peer to peer?

    I frequently get ~full line speed (admitedly only 1.7Mbit/s) on Xnet in
    the evenings on well seeded torrents (30+ seeds).

    Having said that if you are a "Bad Person" and download pirated content
    Xnet have been seen to be one of the more proactive ISPs at kicking your
    ass off their network upon receipt of correspondence from anti-P2P
    organisations.

    Squiggle, Nov 29, 2007
  6. Hi there,

    Bobs wrote:
    > I've been using uTorrent for a few days now to get some files, and quite
    > frankly, it sucks arse. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about really.
    > Downloading is so bloody slow it's like being back on dialup. I'm
    > lucky to crack 20k, usually it hovers around 2 to 3k at best.
    >
    > I've setup port forwarding, uTorrent says everything is working
    > okay...but its still shit. Currently I'm trying to get a file that has
    > 24 seeds and I'm getting about...well....0.2k. LOL
    >
    > Wtf? Surely this cannot be correct? Do Orcon block peer to peer?

    Yeah, the whole torrent thing is much ado about sweet **** all.
    I get speeds that dialup could sometimes best, on all but the
    newest torrents. New torrents aren't bad usually, but nothing
    beats a good ol' ftp or http download.

    The biggest torrent I've grabbed was a VMware image of Mac OS Tiger
    for intel. Unpacked this thing was 6GB total (2GB compressed). I
    forgot I was grabbing it, because it was running in the background
    and took weeks. Sometimes torrents really do blow goats...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...

    Chris Wilkinson, Nov 29, 2007
  7. Bobs

    Puddle Guest

    Squiggle wrote:
    > Bobs wrote:
    >> I've been using uTorrent for a few days now to get some files, and
    >> quite frankly, it sucks arse. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about
    >> really. Downloading is so bloody slow it's like being back on
    >> dialup. I'm lucky to crack 20k, usually it hovers around 2 to 3k at best.
    >>
    >> I've setup port forwarding, uTorrent says everything is working
    >> okay...but its still shit. Currently I'm trying to get a file that has
    >> 24 seeds and I'm getting about...well....0.2k. LOL
    >>
    >> Wtf? Surely this cannot be correct? Do Orcon block peer to peer?

    > I frequently get ~full line speed (admitedly only 1.7Mbit/s) on Xnet in
    > the evenings on well seeded torrents (30+ seeds).
    >
    > Having said that if you are a "Bad Person" and download pirated content
    > Xnet have been seen to be one of the more proactive ISPs at kicking your
    > ass off their network upon receipt of correspondence from anti-P2P
    > organisations.

    That is probably why you get those speeds :)
    Didn't realise NZ ISP's were kicking people off though for what they
    download.

    Puddle, Nov 29, 2007
  8. Bobs

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh interweb Bobs typed:
    > I've been using uTorrent for a few days now to get some files, and
    > quite frankly, it sucks arse. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about
    > really. Downloading is so bloody slow it's like being back on
    > dialup. I'm lucky to crack 20k, usually it hovers around 2 to 3k at best.
    >
    > I've setup port forwarding, uTorrent says everything is working
    > okay...but its still shit. Currently I'm trying to get a file that has
    > 24 seeds and I'm getting about...well....0.2k. LOL
    >
    > Wtf? Surely this cannot be correct? Do Orcon block peer to peer?

    Yes.
    --
    TTFN,

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 29, 2007
  9. Bobs

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh interweb Chris Wilkinson typed:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Bobs wrote:
    >> I've been using uTorrent for a few days now to get some files, and
    >> quite frankly, it sucks arse. I'm not sure what all the fuss is
    >> about really. Downloading is so bloody slow it's like being back
    >> on dialup. I'm lucky to crack 20k, usually it hovers around 2 to 3k at
    >> best.
    >>
    >> I've setup port forwarding, uTorrent says everything is working
    >> okay...but its still shit. Currently I'm trying to get a file that
    >> has 24 seeds and I'm getting about...well....0.2k. LOL
    >>
    >> Wtf? Surely this cannot be correct? Do Orcon block peer to peer?

    > Yeah, the whole torrent thing is much ado about sweet **** all.
    > I get speeds that dialup could sometimes best, on all but the
    > newest torrents. New torrents aren't bad usually, but nothing
    > beats a good ol' ftp or http download.
    >
    > The biggest torrent I've grabbed was a VMware image of Mac OS Tiger
    > for intel. Unpacked this thing was 6GB total (2GB compressed). I
    > forgot I was grabbing it, because it was running in the background
    > and took weeks. Sometimes torrents really do blow goats...

    And yet I can get a gigabyte in an hour and frequently do. If you are clever
    enough to get onto a "members only" site and you have a good ISP you should
    be able to max out your download bandwidth. I get my full 2M anytime of the
    day or night with a torrent from, for instance, Torrent-Damage. Other times
    I have to be patient.
    --
    TTFN,

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 29, 2007
  10. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh interweb Bobs typed:
    >> I've been using uTorrent for a few days now to get some files, and
    >> quite frankly, it sucks arse. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about
    >> really. Downloading is so bloody slow it's like being back on
    >> dialup. I'm lucky to crack 20k, usually it hovers around 2 to 3k at best.
    >>
    >> I've setup port forwarding, uTorrent says everything is working
    >> okay...but its still shit. Currently I'm trying to get a file that has
    >> 24 seeds and I'm getting about...well....0.2k. LOL
    >>
    >> Wtf? Surely this cannot be correct? Do Orcon block peer to peer?

    > Yes.

    When they find what port I am using and that takes them a little while

    collector«NZ, Nov 29, 2007
  11. Bobs

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh interweb collector«NZ typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh interweb Bobs typed:
    >>> I've been using uTorrent for a few days now to get some files, and
    >>> quite frankly, it sucks arse. I'm not sure what all the fuss is
    >>> about really. Downloading is so bloody slow it's like being back
    >>> on dialup. I'm lucky to crack 20k, usually it hovers around 2 to 3k at
    >>> best. I've setup port forwarding, uTorrent says everything is working
    >>> okay...but its still shit. Currently I'm trying to get a file that
    >>> has 24 seeds and I'm getting about...well....0.2k. LOL
    >>>
    >>> Wtf? Surely this cannot be correct? Do Orcon block peer to peer?

    >> Yes.

    > When they find what port I am using and that takes them a little while

    Actually they have a layer 6 (?) sniffing hardware thingy that can find p2p
    use on any port. Been there, done that, talked to Orcon about it and left
    them.
    --
    TTFN,

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 30, 2007
  12. Bobs

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-11-29, Bobs <> wrote:

    IFirstly in answer to your question, Do torrents just suck? No babies also
    do on a breast in MacDonalds. ( Long time ago but the response left a place
    in my memory)

    > I've been using uTorrent for a few days now to get some files, and quite
    > frankly, it sucks arse. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about really.
    > Downloading is so bloody slow it's like being back on dialup. I'm
    > lucky to crack 20k, usually it hovers around 2 to 3k at best.
    >
    > I've setup port forwarding, uTorrent says everything is working
    > okay...but its still shit. Currently I'm trying to get a file that has
    > 24 seeds and I'm getting about...well....0.2k. LOL

    Bobs,have you studied the Bittorrent protocol?

    Each person has control over at what rate things will happen on their
    machine.. You might be connected to 789 seeds but 777 of them are not
    releasing anything, or SFA.

    Also Bittorrent rewards people who have and upstream flow that of the Amazon
    River in full flood. Oh dear, pity the upstream flow is not as good as the
    down stream flow in this country of ours. Thanks Telecom and the people who
    represent us in the House. Bittorrent loves it when the up equals the down
    speed.

    Bittorrent is all about spreading the load and sharing. Its about set it and
    forget it. Its about getting files which are only in this format. Its about
    machines talking to each other, and getting the job done.

    Using Bittorrent, without control, will sometimes have you uplink jammed
    to the the point that ACK packets for the downlink can not get thru.
    There are times when some files arrive very fast, others arrive in filings.

    I use the BitTorrent protocol a great deal. It works for me.

    Finally, Bobs, Bitorrent is about "community", its about giving and
    receiving. The old model of major/one/few servers and many clients is dead.
    Or it should be. It will be in time.

    Gordon, Nov 30, 2007
  13. In article <474f2a5f$>, Chris Wilkinson did write:

    > Yeah, the whole torrent thing is much ado about sweet **** all.

    I'm not so sure. I managed to pull down two Ubuntu and two OpenSuSE DVDs
    over the last month or so--around 16GB worth. Currently I seed them back up
    again during the nights. That goes quite slowly--about 6-700MB a night I
    estimate.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 30, 2007
  14. In article <474e9523$>, Puddle did write:

    > Oh and no they don't block it, nor do they actively slow it down.
    >
    > They "deprioritise" it.

    But it's getting increasingly harder to spot. A recent survey found that 20%
    of P2P traffic is already being encrypted, and that proportion is only
    going to rise.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 30, 2007
  15. Bobs

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Bobs" <> wrote in message
    > I've been using uTorrent for a few days now to get some files, and quite
    > frankly, it sucks arse. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about really.
    > Downloading is so bloody slow it's like being back on dialup. I'm lucky to
    > crack 20k, usually it hovers around 2 to 3k at best.

    The latest? 1.7 something? I think some trackers ban this version. Try a
    version 1.61

    > I've setup port forwarding, uTorrent says everything is working okay...but
    > its still shit. Currently I'm trying to get a file that has 24 seeds and
    > I'm getting about...well....0.2k. LOL
    >
    > Wtf? Surely this cannot be correct? Do Orcon block peer to peer?

    Got the TCP open connections patch? Look in utorrent in advanced settings
    conections set to 8 conections. Increase it to about 80 and see if that
    helps.

    Craig Sutton, Nov 30, 2007
  16. Bobs

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Bobs wrote:
    >> I've been using uTorrent for a few days now to get some files, and
    >> quite frankly, it sucks arse. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about
    >> really. Downloading is so bloody slow it's like being back on
    >> dialup. I'm lucky to crack 20k, usually it hovers around 2 to 3k at best.
    >>
    >> I've setup port forwarding, uTorrent says everything is working
    >> okay...but its still shit. Currently I'm trying to get a file that has
    >> 24 seeds and I'm getting about...well....0.2k. LOL
    >>
    >> Wtf? Surely this cannot be correct? Do Orcon block peer to peer?

    > Yeah, the whole torrent thing is much ado about sweet **** all.
    > I get speeds that dialup could sometimes best, on all but the
    > newest torrents. New torrents aren't bad usually, but nothing
    > beats a good ol' ftp or http download.
    >
    > The biggest torrent I've grabbed was a VMware image of Mac OS Tiger
    > for intel. Unpacked this thing was 6GB total (2GB compressed). I
    > forgot I was grabbing it, because it was running in the background
    > and took weeks. Sometimes torrents really do blow goats...

    To me, that shows just how good Bittorrent is - you got your file, and
    even though it took weeks, with (presumably) different sources for the
    file coming and going it still worked. And it all happened in the
    background. What's the hurry? What's not to like? I've had torrents
    downloading for months, just waiting for the last piece of a file to
    come available.

    The biggest mistake that people make is that they have their upload rate
    set either too low or too high - both will seriously impact download
    performance on our stupidly asymmetric ADSL. I find that with 128K up
    ADSL, if I set BT upload rate to about 8-9KB/s I can max out my download
    rate on good torrents, providing Orcon are not deprioritising traffic.
    For example most weekdays mornings are good for trying out different
    settings as BT traffic seems to be quite fast at hose times.

    -=rjh=-, Nov 30, 2007
  17. Bobs

    Puddle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <474e9523$>, Puddle did write:
    >
    >> Oh and no they don't block it, nor do they actively slow it down.
    >>
    >> They "deprioritise" it.

    > But it's getting increasingly harder to spot. A recent survey found that 20%
    > of P2P traffic is already being encrypted, and that proportion is only
    > going to rise.

    True, but what ISP's do now is just keep a list of the known protocols
    that they want to give priority to and everything else that is unknown
    is just deprioritsed.

    I was reading an article the other day that was saying p2p isn't the big
    threat to the internet but rather sites like youtube are and that by
    2010 the US backbone is going to really strain. That isn't very far
    away.....

    I also wonder why adsl2 is even being brought in when people cant even
    get fullspeeds on ADSL1.. what is the point?

    Puddle, Nov 30, 2007
  18. In article <47508a34$>, Puddle did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <474e9523$>, Puddle did write:
    >>
    >>> Oh and no they don't block it, nor do they actively slow it down.
    >>>
    >>> They "deprioritise" it.

    >> But it's getting increasingly harder to spot. A recent survey found that
    >> 20% of P2P traffic is already being encrypted, and that proportion is
    >> only going to rise.

    > True, but what ISP's do now is just keep a list of the known protocols
    > that they want to give priority to and everything else that is unknown
    > is just deprioritsed.

    But how would they identify encrypted protocols like SSH and SSL? Also these
    are heavily used by businesses (like my clients). If they
    get "deprioritized", they're going to have some unhappy business customers.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 1, 2007
  19. Bobs

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 22:46:35 +1300, Bobs <> wrote:

    >I've been using uTorrent for a few days now to get some files, and quite
    >frankly, it sucks arse. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about really.
    > Downloading is so bloody slow it's like being back on dialup. I'm
    >lucky to crack 20k, usually it hovers around 2 to 3k at best.
    >
    >I've setup port forwarding, uTorrent says everything is working
    >okay...but its still shit. Currently I'm trying to get a file that has
    >24 seeds and I'm getting about...well....0.2k. LOL
    >
    >Wtf? Surely this cannot be correct? Do Orcon block peer to peer?

    What have you got your upload set to? Anything under 6 in uTorrent limits your
    download speed.

    Craig Shore, Dec 1, 2007
  20. Bobs

    Murray Symon Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <47508a34$>, Puddle did write:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <474e9523$>, Puddle did write:

    >>> But it's getting increasingly harder to spot. A recent survey found that
    >>> 20% of P2P traffic is already being encrypted, and that proportion is
    >>> only going to rise.

    >> True, but what ISP's do now is just keep a list of the known protocols
    >> that they want to give priority to and everything else that is unknown
    >> is just deprioritsed.

    > But how would they identify encrypted protocols like SSH and SSL? Also
    > these are heavily used by businesses (like my clients). If they
    > get "deprioritized", they're going to have some unhappy business
    > customers.

    They can identify the protocol, but not what is being tunnelled. The point
    you raise illuminates the problems the ISPs cause for everybody by making
    sweeping assumptions about the bits that their customers are moving on the
    network. I am guessing that they are in damage control mode because they
    have oversold their network capacities.

    Murray Symon, Dec 1, 2007