Do they want to rule the PC/Internet world ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Hoss, Sep 19, 2003.

  1. Hoss

    Hoss Guest

    Microsoft goes after Google

    REDMOND, Washington (Reuters) -- Microsoft, which is trying to drive growth
    by investing in everything from small business software to video games, has
    quietly set its sights on a new industry -- searching the Web.

    Chairman Bill Gates, Chief Executive Steve Ballmer and a handful of other
    executives sat down in February to answer a question asked countless times
    before in the world's largest software maker's 28-year history. Should
    Microsoft build or buy?

    What they decided was to build technology that would eventually surpass
    Google Inc.'s ability to sift through the Web and return results relevant
    enough to make it the top Internet search destination.

    "The decision to build or buy came down to our ability to innovate," said
    Kirk Koenigsbauer, strategy manager at Microsoft's MSN Internet portal.

    "Our ability to innovate is predicated on our ability to own the platform,"
    he added, a clear sign that Microsoft thinks it can only beat Google if it
    owns the technology.

    Company-wide effort
    For now, however, Microsoft won't comment on how widely it plans to use
    search technology. While it is a company-wide effort, Koenigsbauer said that
    any developments will be led by MSN and used to enhance the portal.

    But analysts have interpreted the decision to build as a sign that Microsoft
    has greater ambitions for search, including plans to make it part of the
    Windows operating system, the company's main cash cow.

    "Any time Microsoft builds something into the operating system, they don't
    want to get that from anyone else," said analyst Matt Rosoff of Directions
    on Microsoft, an independent research group based in Kirkland, Washington.

    Koenigsbauer, who attended the February meeting, declined to discuss
    Microsoft's plans for search beyond MSN. Nor did he disclose the number of
    people or amount of money the company will invest in the project.

    Can Microsoft pull it off?
    Jupiter Research analyst Joe Wilcox, however, said that with its large
    concentration of software talent and nearly $50 billion in cash, Microsoft
    could out-invest any competitor for years.

    The company is "very, very serious about search," he said.

    At the core of Microsoft's decision is a belief that search technology is
    still in its infancy.

    "Search engines are doing a good job but not a perfect job," said
    Koenigsbauer, adding most search results today "don't deliver the results
    people are looking for."

    Part of Longhorn
    Search results tailored to individual users based on a history of their
    interests and searches is one area that Microsoft is looking at,
    Koenigsbauer said.

    Analysts said such a service would be ideal for Microsoft since it could
    leverage its control over the Windows operating system, which runs on more
    than 95 percent of the world's PCs.

    Moreover, they said Microsoft's real motive is to build search into its
    various software products and most likely into the next Windows version,
    which is code-named Longhorn.

    Gates has promised that Longhorn, which is expected to launch in 2005 or
    2006, will include database technology to make it easier for users to track
    and find information on their computers.

    "Long-term, all roads lead to Longhorn," Wilcox said.

    Targetting users
    This isn't the first time that Microsoft has put the search market in its
    crosshairs.

    In 1997, the company looked into developing search for MSN, but decided to
    team up with Inktomi instead.

    "We'll continue to partner with Inktomi in the near-term but at some point
    we'll go on our own," Koenigsbauer said.

    That also brings into question MSN's alliance with Overture Services Inc., a
    leader in search-based advertising.

    Koenigsbauer said the partnership is continuing for the "medium-term," and
    Microsoft is happy with its relationships with both companies, which are set
    to become part of Yahoo Inc., an MSN competitor.

    Yahoo, under pressure from Google, has been buying search technologies and
    marketing its services in television commercials to attract visitors to its
    site.

    Hoss, Sep 19, 2003

  2. Microsoft has a subtle plot to take total control of the Internet and
    that plot is called Palladium.

    By the use of that plot they will eventually be able to charge your
    each and every time you access the Internet

    Their ambition is to take what is now free and make it Microsofts by
    putting a control in edvery computer which will give them

    (1) Effective ownership of the Internet

    (2) By the use of the evil of Palladium take away your freedom to do
    what you will with your own computer.

    (3) Make you the untrusted person in your own computer

    Patrick

    Patrick FitzGerald, Sep 19, 2003

  3. "Olson Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > > REDMOND, Washington (Reuters) -- Microsoft, which is trying to drive

    > growth
    > > by investing in everything from small business software to video games,

    > has
    > > quietly set its sights on a new industry -- searching the Web.

    > Who wants their operating system to be an electronic billboard ?

    Who said that? Making it easy to search, whether you're looking for
    something on the web, or some photos or music off your local machine, and
    making it easy to use as well as actually finding what you're looking for is
    a great idea. Make that a feature in Windows.

    > Its like paying for Sky and still having to put up with the ads.

    And don't Sky TV here in NZ have around 900 000 subscribers?
    They seem to put up with ads as well as forking over $60 a month for their
    IV drip of chewing gum for the eye balls.

    Nathan Mercer, Sep 21, 2003