    Telecomms company in Australia, say, to be paid by us for the use of their last
    few km of copper wire?

    JPG

    JPG, Jun 29, 2005

  2. JPG

    Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:30:58 +0100, JPG <> wrote:

    >I keep thinking of boo.com and other notable web failures and wonder how long
    >the free/very cheap calls will last - or is it really different this time and
    >VOIP businesses can survive and still provide their current services at current
    >prices?
    >
    >How do telecomms businesses trade? Presumably there has to be some way for a
    >Telecomms company in Australia, say, to be paid by us for the use of their last
    >few km of copper wire?

    I reckon VOIP telcos will survive as they have paying customers that
    make outbound phone calls through their system.

    The telecoms company in Australia will get paid for incoming calls
    aswell as well as outgoing calls and rental charges for the copper
    wire.

    , Jun 29, 2005

  3. JPG

    Ian Guest

    "JPG" <> wrote in message
    > I keep thinking of boo.com and other notable web failures and wonder how

    long
    > the free/very cheap calls will last - or is it really different this time

    and
    > VOIP businesses can survive and still provide their current services at

    current
    > prices?
    >
    > How do telecomms businesses trade? Presumably there has to be some way

    for a
    > Telecomms company in Australia, say, to be paid by us for the use of their

    last
    > few km of copper wire?

    well some will and some wont.

    Time will tell who survives though. in the end it will come down to cost and
    service level.
    The shake up will be similar to the isp market ith small players being
    swallowed up by the big boys as the race to get market share.
    The market is starting to mature with the likes of MCI launching a business
    product for the european market, I think we can expect to see more of the
    large players launching over the next few months. As well as the Isps
    launching their own offerings AOL and Wanadoo to name but two the small visp
    will find it harder to get market share and will be required to provide
    support for all levels of users.
    It will be interesting to see who does survive though

    Ian

    Ian, Jun 29, 2005
  4. JPG

    JPG Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:17:03 +0100, "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote:

    >"JPG" <> wrote in message
    >> I keep thinking of boo.com and other notable web failures and wonder how

    >long
    >> the free/very cheap calls will last - or is it really different this time

    >and
    >> VOIP businesses can survive and still provide their current services at

    >current
    >> prices?
    >>
    >> How do telecomms businesses trade? Presumably there has to be some way

    >for a
    >> Telecomms company in Australia, say, to be paid by us for the use of their

    >last
    >> few km of copper wire?

    >well some will and some wont.
    >
    >Time will tell who survives though. in the end it will come down to cost and
    >service level.
    >The shake up will be similar to the isp market ith small players being
    >swallowed up by the big boys as the race to get market share.
    >The market is starting to mature with the likes of MCI launching a business
    >product for the european market, I think we can expect to see more of the
    >large players launching over the next few months. As well as the Isps
    >launching their own offerings AOL and Wanadoo to name but two the small visp
    >will find it harder to get market share and will be required to provide
    >support for all levels of users.
    >It will be interesting to see who does survive though

    I wonder how long before hardware manufacturers catch on in a big way (not the
    paltry choice we have now). The market for ATAs and Voip Telephones is likely
    to explode over the next year or so, prices will plummet (hopefully).

    JPG

    JPG, Jun 29, 2005
  5. JPG

    Ian Guest

    wrote:

    > >"JPG" <> wrote in message
    > >> I keep thinking of boo.com and other notable web failures and wonder

    how
    > >long
    > >> the free/very cheap calls will last - or is it really different this

    time
    > >and
    > >> VOIP businesses can survive and still provide their current services at

    > >current
    > >> prices?
    > >>
    > >> How do telecomms businesses trade? Presumably there has to be some way

    > >for a
    > >> Telecomms company in Australia, say, to be paid by us for the use of

    their
    > >last
    > >> few km of copper wire?

    > >well some will and some wont.
    > >
    > >Time will tell who survives though. in the end it will come down to cost

    and
    > >service level.
    > >The shake up will be similar to the isp market ith small players being
    > >swallowed up by the big boys as the race to get market share.
    > >The market is starting to mature with the likes of MCI launching a

    business
    > >product for the european market, I think we can expect to see more of the
    > >large players launching over the next few months. As well as the Isps
    > >launching their own offerings AOL and Wanadoo to name but two the small

    visp
    > >will find it harder to get market share and will be required to provide
    > >support for all levels of users.
    > >It will be interesting to see who does survive though

    > I wonder how long before hardware manufacturers catch on in a big way (not

    the
    > paltry choice we have now). The market for ATAs and Voip Telephones is

    likely
    > to explode over the next year or so, prices will plummet (hopefully).

    Not sure where you are looking, But the hardware space is flooded, I get
    emails from china daily pushing a new sip phone or ata. also all the main
    players are making sip phones, as well as voice enabled routers are avalible
    from most suppliers.
    as to the cost plummeting, i think you will find the price polorising, with
    cheap mass market at one end and business quality ones at the other. but the
    take up has to be far greater to make selling cheap ones worth while.

    Ian

    Ian, Jun 29, 2005
  6. JPG

    JPG Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:01:26 +0100, "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >"JPG" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:17:03 +0100, "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk>

    >wrote:
    >>

    >> >"JPG" <> wrote in message

    >how
    >> >long

    >time
    >> >and
    >> >current

    >> >for a

    >their
    >> >last
    >> >
    >> >well some will and some wont.
    >> >
    >> >Time will tell who survives though. in the end it will come down to cost

    >and
    >> >service level.
    >> >The shake up will be similar to the isp market ith small players being
    >> >swallowed up by the big boys as the race to get market share.
    >> >The market is starting to mature with the likes of MCI launching a

    >business
    >> >product for the european market, I think we can expect to see more of the
    >> >large players launching over the next few months. As well as the Isps
    >> >launching their own offerings AOL and Wanadoo to name but two the small

    >visp
    >> >will find it harder to get market share and will be required to provide
    >> >support for all levels of users.
    >> >It will be interesting to see who does survive though

    >> I wonder how long before hardware manufacturers catch on in a big way (not

    >the
    >> paltry choice we have now). The market for ATAs and Voip Telephones is

    >likely
    >> to explode over the next year or so, prices will plummet (hopefully).
    >>

    >Not sure where you are looking, But the hardware space is flooded,

    If that's the case, I need some links. The usual Amazon, Ebuyer etc
    seems to be very light on VOIP hardware.

    JPG

    --
    "And man can be as big as he wants. No problem of
    human destiny is beyond human beings. Man's reason

    JPG, Jun 29, 2005