    nice printers out. Does Epson still have this nasty clogging problems with their
    new printers and inks.

    I'm leaning towards getting the Canon 960i.

    Poindexter, Jul 9, 2004

  2. Absolutely! It wastes ink to clean the heads. Add that wasted ink up
    worldwide and thats a nice little extra couple dozen of mansions in the
    Hamptons, Ferrari F50's in every color for every day of the month for the
    CEO of Epson. We don't think he wants to give that profit margin up do we? I
    didn't think so. Bend over and take it like a man. Your wallet that is.

    Ty

    "Poindexter" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to replace an old Epson Photo 780 printer which prints great.

    The
    > only problem is I have to unclog the heads everytime I need to print

    anything. I
    > swore to myself I would never buy epson again, but it looks like they have

    some

    Tyrone Jackson, Jul 9, 2004

  3. Poindexter

    Rick Guest

    "Poindexter" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I'm looking to replace an old Epson Photo 780 printer which prints great. The
    > only problem is I have to unclog the heads everytime I need to print anything. I
    > swore to myself I would never buy epson again, but it looks like they have some
    > nice printers out. Does Epson still have this nasty clogging problems with their
    > new printers and inks.
    >
    > I'm leaning towards getting the Canon 960i.

    We've had an R800 for almost three months and it hasn't
    clogged once yet. But if you've had this problem in the past
    you're likely to have it in the future -- a lot depends on how
    you use (or don't use) the printer, and also relative humidity
    (or a lack of it) in your geographical area. Epsons are rated
    for use under a specific humidity range, 20%-80% I believe.

    Rick

    Rick, Jul 9, 2004
  4. "Poindexter" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to replace an old Epson Photo 780 printer which prints great.

    The
    > only problem is I have to unclog the heads everytime I need to print

    anything. I
    > swore to myself I would never buy epson again, but it looks like they have

    some
    > nice printers out. Does Epson still have this nasty clogging problems with

    their
    > new printers and inks.
    >
    > I'm leaning towards getting the Canon 960i.

    I'm not sure that the Canon is any better, but hope that it is. I use more
    of Epson's VERY expensive ink cleaning heads than I do printing. Epson
    printers are extremely high maintenance and thus too costly to own!

    My next printer will be one that does not waste so much ink and thus will be
    one that I can afford to own. (Able to afford to buy has little to do with
    being able to afford to own when it comes to printers and other things.)

    Charles Schuler, Jul 9, 2004
  5. Poindexter

    grenner Guest

    I have a Epson 960 and have had it for a little over a year with no problems
    at all. Typically I have always used Epsons. I tried a couple of Canon's a
    couple of years ago and they were crap failing in less than year.

    Get a dye sub if you are nervous about clogging.

    Greg

    grenner, Jul 9, 2004
  6. Poindexter wrote:
    > I'm looking to replace an old Epson Photo 780 printer which prints great. The
    > only problem is I have to unclog the heads everytime I need to print anything. I
    > swore to myself I would never buy epson again, but it looks like they have some
    > nice printers out. Does Epson still have this nasty clogging problems with their
    > new printers and inks.
    >
    > I'm leaning towards getting the Canon 960i.

    The thing is that the Canons have replaceable heads, if and when they
    should clog so that you can't clean them. I have had some suspicious
    banding with my i950 two times, but it cleared up with some cleaning and
    more printing. It seems to happen after the printer sits unused for a
    while. Also, the ink tanks are individual, so you only replace what you
    need to. Kind of fun, actually. I would strongly look at the i9900 for
    the ultimate printer.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Jul 10, 2004
  7. Poindexter

    Mark M Guest

    > I'm looking to replace an old Epson Photo 780 printer which prints great.

    The
    > only problem is I have to unclog the heads everytime I need to print

    anything. I
    > swore to myself I would never buy epson again, but it looks like they have

    some
    > nice printers out. Does Epson still have this nasty clogging problems with

    their
    > new printers and inks.
    >
    > I'm leaning towards getting the Canon 960i.

    I'm not sure why I'm so lucky, but I've had my 1270 since it was first
    released some years ago, and have NEVER had one single clog.

    Mark M, Jul 10, 2004
  8. How much are the heads? Close to or as much as a new printer?

    Ty

    Tyrone Jackson, Jul 10, 2004
  9. Tyrone Jackson wrote:
    > How much are the heads? Close to or as much as a new printer?

    When I bought my last Epson printer, the printer the list price of the a
    cartridge was more than the sale/rebate price of the printer that came with
    a cartridge. I almost bought a second printer just for the ink since they
    were out of ink.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Jul 10, 2004
  10. Poindexter

    pjp Guest

    Funny, I never have that problem with my Epsons which replaced my Lexmark
    because of that specific problem.

    pjp, Jul 10, 2004
  11. In article <>,
    Poindexter <> wrote:

    > I'm looking to replace an old Epson Photo 780 printer which prints great. The
    > only problem is I have to unclog the heads everytime I need to print
    > anything. I
    > swore to myself I would never buy epson again, but it looks like they have
    > some
    > nice printers out. Does Epson still have this nasty clogging problems with
    > their
    > new printers and inks.
    >
    > I'm leaning towards getting the Canon 960i.

    My 2200 is much worse than my 1280 was. Sometimes half the nozzles will
    quit working in the middle of a print. $2 of paper is wasted and $5 of
    ink must be drained to fix it. It's a miracle if less than $10 of ink
    purging gets it working after it has been powered off for a couple of
    weeks.

    It's my last Epson printer. The printer is expensive, the paper is
    expensive, and the ink is expensive. For all that money I shouldn't
    have to deal with this crap.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Jul 10, 2004
  12. Poindexter

    Mark M Guest

    "Kevin McMurtrie" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > Poindexter <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm looking to replace an old Epson Photo 780 printer which prints

    great. The
    > > only problem is I have to unclog the heads everytime I need to print
    > > anything. I
    > > swore to myself I would never buy epson again, but it looks like they

    have
    > > some
    > > nice printers out. Does Epson still have this nasty clogging problems

    with
    > > their
    > > new printers and inks.
    > >
    > > I'm leaning towards getting the Canon 960i.

    > My 2200 is much worse than my 1280 was. Sometimes half the nozzles will
    > quit working in the middle of a print. $2 of paper is wasted and $5 of
    > ink must be drained to fix it. It's a miracle if less than $10 of ink
    > purging gets it working after it has been powered off for a couple of
    > weeks.
    >
    > It's my last Epson printer. The printer is expensive, the paper is
    > expensive, and the ink is expensive. For all that money I shouldn't
    > have to deal with this crap.

    Hmmm...
    I NEVER power off my 1270, and I have NEVER had a clog in more than 3 years
    (or however long the 1270 has been available (more than 4?).
    I wonder if there is a connection there.
    Perhaps you should try leaving it on.
    Very like, it consumes only a tiny bit of power anyway.

    Mark M, Jul 10, 2004
  13. Poindexter

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Mark M wrote:
    > "Kevin McMurtrie" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> Poindexter <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I'm looking to replace an old Epson Photo 780 printer which prints

    > great. The
    >
    >>>only problem is I have to unclog the heads everytime I need to print
    >>>anything. I
    >>>swore to myself I would never buy epson again, but it looks like they

    > have
    >
    >>>some
    >>>nice printers out. Does Epson still have this nasty clogging problems

    > with
    >
    >>>their
    >>>new printers and inks.
    >>>
    >>>I'm leaning towards getting the Canon 960i.

    >>My 2200 is much worse than my 1280 was. Sometimes half the nozzles will
    >>quit working in the middle of a print. $2 of paper is wasted and $5 of
    >>ink must be drained to fix it. It's a miracle if less than $10 of ink
    >>purging gets it working after it has been powered off for a couple of
    >>weeks.
    >>
    >>It's my last Epson printer. The printer is expensive, the paper is
    >>expensive, and the ink is expensive. For all that money I shouldn't
    >>have to deal with this crap.

    > Hmmm...
    > I NEVER power off my 1270, and I have NEVER had a clog in more than 3 years
    > (or however long the 1270 has been available (more than 4?).
    > I wonder if there is a connection there.
    > Perhaps you should try leaving it on.
    > Very like, it consumes only a tiny bit of power anyway.

    That would be a wise move. Printers in standby take only a few watts of
    power and leaving them on allows them to prevent clogging by a timed
    'cleaning' cycle.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 10, 2004
  14. Poindexter

    Don F Guest

    "Mark M" <> wrote in message
    > Hmmm...
    > I NEVER power off my 1270, and I have NEVER had a clog in more than 3

    years
    > (or however long the 1270 has been available (more than 4?).
    > I wonder if there is a connection there.
    > Perhaps you should try leaving it on.
    > Very like, it consumes only a tiny bit of power anyway.

    ----------------------------
    I had read (a long time ago) that it is better to turn off the printer
    if it is not going to be used for a long time. It was said that the printer
    heads are capped when the printer is powered off and this prevents clogging.
    I have an old 870 and turn it off when not in use and I have had no glogs.
    If you use your printer daily, it is probable better to leave it powered
    on.
    Don F

    Don F, Jul 10, 2004
  15. Poindexter

    Mark M Guest

    "Don F" <> wrote in message
    > "Mark M" <> wrote in message
    > > Hmmm...
    > > I NEVER power off my 1270, and I have NEVER had a clog in more than 3

    > years
    > > (or however long the 1270 has been available (more than 4?).
    > > I wonder if there is a connection there.
    > > Perhaps you should try leaving it on.
    > > Very like, it consumes only a tiny bit of power anyway.
    > >

    > ----------------------------
    > I had read (a long time ago) that it is better to turn off the printer
    > if it is not going to be used for a long time. It was said that the

    printer
    > heads are capped when the printer is powered off and this prevents

    clogging.
    > I have an old 870 and turn it off when not in use and I have had no

    glogs.
    > If you use your printer daily, it is probable better to leave it powered
    > on.

    My printer goes through periods where it sits un-used for months.
    So...I don't know the answer.

    Yours is the first complaint I've heard about the 2200.
    That's disappointing, as I'd like to purchase one myself.
    Perhaps it has something to do with climate (humidity vs. dry, heat, cold,
    etc.?????).
    Who knows...

    Mark M, Jul 10, 2004
  16. Poindexter

    Rick Guest

    "Mark M" <> wrote in message news:72QHc.64036$rh.47430@okepread02...

    > "Don F" <> wrote in message
    > > "Mark M" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hmmm...
    > > > I NEVER power off my 1270, and I have NEVER had a clog in more than 3

    > > years
    > > > (or however long the 1270 has been available (more than 4?).
    > > > I wonder if there is a connection there.
    > > > Perhaps you should try leaving it on.
    > > > Very like, it consumes only a tiny bit of power anyway.
    > > >

    > > ----------------------------
    > > I had read (a long time ago) that it is better to turn off the printer
    > > if it is not going to be used for a long time. It was said that the

    > printer
    > > heads are capped when the printer is powered off and this prevents

    > clogging.
    > > I have an old 870 and turn it off when not in use and I have had no

    > glogs.
    > > If you use your printer daily, it is probable better to leave it powered
    > > on.

    > My printer goes through periods where it sits un-used for months.
    > So...I don't know the answer.
    >
    > Yours is the first complaint I've heard about the 2200.
    > That's disappointing, as I'd like to purchase one myself.
    > Perhaps it has something to do with climate (humidity vs. dry, heat, cold,
    > etc.?????).
    > Who knows...

    There are a few things you can do to minimize the number
    of clogs in Epson inkjets:

    1. Always use the printer's power switch to turn off the
    printer. Never turn it off via a power strip. The reason
    for this is because of the printer's auto park function,
    which seals the printheads.

    2. Try not to operate the printer when relative humidity
    is under 20%.

    3. Always vigorously shake new ink cartridges right
    before you install them. This will remove air pockets
    from the cartridge. If you don't shake them first, these
    air pockets wind up in the ink tubes and cause what
    look like clogs (but they aren't clogs).

    4. Always use genuine Epson inks, not cheap third
    party inks.

    4a. Never refill/reuse old cartridges.

    5. If the printer is to be unused for more than several
    days, power it on every 3-4 days and print a few pages
    to get new ink in the tubes.

    Rick

    Rick, Jul 10, 2004
  17. Poindexter

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: Do the New Epson Printers Still Clog?
    >From: Kevin McMurtrie
    >Date: 7/10/2004 12:48 AM Pacific Standard Time
    >
    >In article <>,
    > Poindexter <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking to replace an old Epson Photo 780 printer which prints great.

    >The
    >> only problem is I have to unclog the heads everytime I need to print
    >> anything. I
    >> swore to myself I would never buy epson again, but it looks like they have
    >> some
    >> nice printers out. Does Epson still have this nasty clogging problems with
    >> their
    >> new printers and inks.
    >>
    >> I'm leaning towards getting the Canon 960i.

    >My 2200 is much worse than my 1280 was. Sometimes half the nozzles will
    >quit working in the middle of a print. $2 of paper is wasted and $5 of
    >ink must be drained to fix it. It's a miracle if less than $10 of ink
    >purging gets it working after it has been powered off for a couple of
    >weeks.
    >
    >It's my last Epson printer. The printer is expensive, the paper is
    >expensive, and the ink is expensive. For all that money I shouldn't
    >have to deal with this crap.

    I have an Epson R300 with never a problem of any kind,

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, Jul 10, 2004
  18. Poindexter

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Mark M"

    > (This) is the first complaint I've heard about the 2200.
    >That's disappointing, as I'd like to purchase one myself.

    My 1280 would skip a bar in the nozzle check test once a week on average,
    generally fixed with one cleaning cycle. This is more an air bubble than a
    clog, I think. Twice it took many cycles to clean, one of those times when I
    deliberately ran the heads dry to see how many extra prints I could get (my
    fault).

    It was a nuisance to run the nozzle check, which I did before every print
    session, but a minor one considering how good the prints were. I think many if
    not most of the people who really jam them up have tried non-Epson inks, based
    on talking with various people who experienced severe problems.

    We've had a 2200 for about two years (still have the 1280 too) and I'd guess it
    skips a bar on the nozzle check test once every three months or so, if that.
    It's so stable we usually don't even run the test. So my experience is that
    Epson recognized this a problem and took steps to fix it. From what you read
    on the net it seems like the small carriage version of the 1280 (890 or 780?
    can't recall) was the worst one for clogs/air bubbles and the newer ones are
    much improved.

    Just got a 4000 last week (17x22" sheet paper, 17" wide rolls) and it has an
    auto clean and nozzle check so I doubt I'll have any problems with it.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jul 10, 2004
  19. Poindexter

    Poindexter Guest

    I live in Texas, the humidity is always around 80% outside but we have good air
    conditioning so the humidity inside is probably less than 20% which may
    contribute to the continuous clogging.

    I use the printer about once a week and never power it off. Everytime I print I
    run the nozzel check 1st. And one or two of the inks is always partially
    clogged, usually the black is missing 1/2 it's bands and then one of the colors
    is missing a couple.

    I really love the way the epsons print, but it's a real pain to have to sit
    through 2 or 3 cleaning cycles before I print a photo. Not to mention expensive.

    Anyone have any trouble with the Canon 960i?

    Poindexter, Jul 10, 2004
  20. Poindexter

    Rick Guest

    "Poindexter" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I live in Texas, the humidity is always around 80% outside but we have good air
    > conditioning so the humidity inside is probably less than 20% which may
    > contribute to the continuous clogging.
    >
    > I use the printer about once a week and never power it off.

    That's a mistake. Powering down the printer will engage the
    auto park function for the printheads, which seals them and
    prevents the feeder tubes from drying out.

    Rick

    Rick, Jul 10, 2004