Do spammers really lie?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Simpson, Oct 10, 2003.

  1. Here's something worth a bit of a giggle and which truly reinforces
    the old adage that spammers always lie.

    While trawling through my junk email folder today, I found a spam that
    contained a header line saying "Report abuse to mailing provider at

    Now I figured that this would be a decoy so I went to
    http://www.postnote.com Hmmm... why would any email provider
    dedicate an entire URL to handling abuse and unsubscribe requests
    unless they were in the spam business?

    Never mind, I clicked on "Report Abuse" which took me to the form at:
    http://www.postnote.com/abuse.html

    This form invites you to enter your email address, name and a copy of
    the offending spam.

    Now I was half expecting that it would simply take your email address
    and add it to another spam list -- but no, they certainly don't do
    that.

    I leave it up to anyone with a modicum of HTML knowledge to take a
    look at the code for that page and tell everyone what it does with
    your complaint.

    Oh yeah... I wouldn't try unsubscribing either -- because you can bet
    your bottom dollar that the unsubscribe request *will* add your
    address to goodness knows how many mailing lists.

    Don't ya just love spammers???
    Bruce Simpson, Oct 10, 2003

  2. Bruce Simpson

    Alden Bates Guest

    Bruce Simpson <> wrote:

    >I leave it up to anyone with a modicum of HTML knowledge to take a
    >look at the code for that page and tell everyone what it does with
    >your complaint.

    My gosh, what a huuuuuge surprise :)

    Alden
    --
    http://www.tetrap.com
    Alden Bates, Oct 11, 2003

  3. In message <>, Bruce Simpson
    <> wrote:

    >I leave it up to anyone with a modicum of HTML knowledge to take a
    >look at the code for that page and tell everyone what it does with
    >your complaint.

    <form name="form1" method="post" action="">

    Not a sausage.

    ....and neither the Report Abuse nor Unsubscribe links exist.

    Stumpy.
    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh Timaru, New Zealand
    <http://marsh.orcon.net.nz/>