    In my ccna class, they said all switches automatically store all
    changes in NVRAM.

    Are there switches where one must save changes to NVRAM?
    sqrfolkdnc, Sep 10, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    sqrfolkdnc <> wrote:
    :In my ccna class, they said all switches automatically store all
    :changes in NVRAM.

    That's false.

    :Are there switches where one must save changes to NVRAM?

    Cat 5000, Cat 6000, Cat 2950/3550/3750, probably others.

    Perhaps the class was referring to switches running CatOS;
    the ones running IOS have the usual IOS semantics (other than
    for the VLAN database editting mode.)
    --
    "Who Leads?" / "The men who must... driven men, compelled men."
    "Freak men."
    Walter Roberson, Sep 10, 2005

  3. sqrfolkdnc

    Heart Key Guest

    sure you should save the Configuration
    switch# copy run start

    M.Ammoura
    Heart Key, Sep 11, 2005
  4. sqrfolkdnc

    Heart Key Guest

    just if the IOS is Cisco , but if the IOS of the switch is Catalist

    you dint have to save the configuration
    Heart Key, Sep 11, 2005
  5. sqrfolkdnc

    Guest

    Hi,

    I have the impression that some (at least) of the low end IOS
    switches did not need wr m (just to demonstrate that I am a luddite)
    but however would accept the command even though it did
    nothing.

    wr m is OK until you needs to sit a Cisco exam, then suddenly
    you need the full text (without online help) of whatever it is that
    you never use. OOPS!

    Also, (just to keep Walter on the straight and narrow)
    Cat 5000 was CatOS only and definately did not need
    the configuration saved. Unless my memory is faulty again.
    , Sep 13, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    :Also, (just to keep Walter on the straight and narrow)
    :Cat 5000 was CatOS only and definately did not need
    :the configuration saved. Unless my memory is faulty again.

    Cat 5000 supported the RSM and (later) another supervisor.
    The RSM ran IOS and definitely needed to have the configuration saved.
    --
    "This was a Golden Age, a time of high adventure, rich living and
    hard dying... but nobody thought so." -- Alfred Bester, TSMD
    Walter Roberson, Sep 13, 2005
  7. a écrit :
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have the impression that some (at least) of the low end IOS
    > switches did not need wr m (just to demonstrate that I am a luddite)
    > but however would accept the command even though it did
    > nothing.

    Catalyst 1900s did not need "wr m" or "cop ru s"

    > wr m is OK until you needs to sit a Cisco exam, then suddenly
    > you need the full text (without online help) of whatever it is that
    > you never use. OOPS!
    >
    > Also, (just to keep Walter on the straight and narrow)
    > Cat 5000 was CatOS only and definately did not need
    > the configuration saved. Unless my memory is faulty again.

    Yup. CatOS changes are immediate.

    --
    Francois Labreque | Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a snooze
    flabreque | button on a cat who wants breakfast.
    Francois Labreque, Sep 14, 2005
  8. sqrfolkdnc

    Guest

    Walter wrote:
    > Cat 5000 supported the RSM and (later) another supervisor.
    > The RSM ran IOS and definitely needed to have the configuration saved.

    Yes but the IP phone connected to ..... :)
    , Sep 14, 2005