    Gaius Baltar Guest

    Thinking of cheaper units, around $AUD20-$30

    gb

    Gaius Baltar, Dec 9, 2006

  2. Gaius Baltar

    Guest

    Gaius Baltar <> wrote:

    >Thinking of cheaper units, around $AUD20-$30

    In a way all of them do, they all have a 5A fuse. Some are even easy
    to replace, most tho are soldered in.

    --
    Boot MacOS X86 from USB Pendrive
    http://tinyurl.com/y5s8fv

    , Dec 9, 2006

  3. Gaius Baltar

    824 Guest

    Years ago I built a cheap as I could PC and the power supply was the
    cheapest around.($12.99) I was screwing around and shorted it - lo and
    behold it had a circuit breaker in the circuit. Last month I built a new PC
    and included a $89.00 power supply that didn't have one. Screwed up again,
    had to disassemble it and resolder a fuse in. Times have changed.

    824, Dec 9, 2006
  4. On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 00:06:48 -0700, 824 wrote:

    > Screwed up
    > again, had to disassemble it and resolder a fuse in.

    You werre lucky. After all, Murphy's Law of Fuses states that if a device
    is protected by a fuse, the device will protect the fuse by blowing first.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630°N 117.754195°W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org

    Gary G. Taylor, Dec 9, 2006
  5. Gaius Baltar

    J-McC Guest

    I have found more often than not the fuse sacrifices itself after the
    main power semiconductors have shit themselves. When repairing it it
    is a good idea to put a 100w 240v or 110v bulb in series with the
    mains to limit the current if you miss a faulty component, the bulb
    will glow if there is still a fault with the power supply if the power
    supply is run under a small load. This has saved me some new
    switching transistors or mosfet devices.
    I have never seen a circuit breaker in a power supply (from memory)
    but plenty of soldered in fuses. I guess a fuselink is so much
    cheaper.
    Jim McCardle

    J-McC, Dec 9, 2006