    while..maybe two hours or less...it won't connect when I re-open it.
    However, a reboot restores the connection. Is this common, or could it
    be my particular router?

    Bartt, Dec 6, 2004

  2. Bartt

    peter Guest

    Does it make any difference if you disable screen saver, hybernate, and
    other power saving features in windows?

    Is the IP lease expired when it won't connect? (i.e. do you have a valid IP
    from the router's DHCP server?)

    peter, Dec 6, 2004

  3. Bartt

    Bartt Guest

    I already have power-saving disabled. I don't understand the second
    question.

    Bartt, Dec 6, 2004
  4. I have found that D-Link have the best routers and the
    most stable. But I am running into a lot of problems
    with computers with SP2 installed. This problem is
    common no matter what kind of hardware. It sounds to me
    like a software issue on your computer.

    Brian \(BK's Computing\), Dec 7, 2004
  5. Bartt

    Jim Fox Guest

    "Bartt" <> wrote in message
    > My new router (D-Link) holds a stable connection indefinitely while I'm
    > using my desktop or laptop. But when I close my browser for a
    > while..maybe two hours or less...it won't connect when I re-open it.
    > However, a reboot restores the connection. Is this common, or could it be
    > my particular router?

    When you close the browser, are you going into standby mode? That will kill
    the connection, and it will need to be re-established when you come out of
    standby. Normally, on my notebook, that happens automatically, but it can
    take about 10 seconds using WEP encryption, or sometimes even 35 seconds if
    WPA security is used.

    Jim Fox, Dec 7, 2004
  6. Bartt

    Bartt Guest

    It's my desktop browser that has the problem. I have standby and
    hibernate disabled, but it still drops the connection.

    Bartt, Dec 8, 2004
  7. Bartt

    Guest

    I'm seeing disconnects on my Dell 2650 (seemed to be every 10-15
    minutes or so) and a Netgear WG511v1 wireless PCMCIA card. The OS is
    Windows XP Home SP2. No power saving properties are enabled any where.
    I even checked the CMOS. So I came to the conclusion it might be the
    screen saver. So I disabled the screen saver and walked away for an
    hour and the connection remained stable. I then enable one power
    saving property within the desktop properties (turn off screen after 10
    minutes). Walked away again and when I came back after 30 minutes the
    connection was again stable. Why this is the case I can't explain.
    The wireless software drivers? I have another Dell 1150 with a Dell
    WLAN 1350 MiniPCI adaptor using Broadcom drivers and Windows XP Home
    SP1. The screen saver doesn't effect it's connection at all. Makes no
    sense to me. I hope to someone else.

    , Dec 12, 2004