Do Printed Word Docs Look Any Differently From PDF Docs?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Martin, Sep 20, 2006.

  1. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello,

    Several times per week, I need to e-mail contracts that the recipient must
    then print and complete.

    I have the choice between sending my docs in Word or in PDF.

    What's crucial is that the formatting in my docs remains the same and will
    not be altered regardless of the type or printing characteristics of the
    printer.

    To date, I have sent my docs in PDF and all have been returned with the
    formatting unchanged.

    Does the same hold true if sent in Word format? Will my docs be printed as
    composed by me or, due to their being in Word, are they subject to the
    printer's characteristics?

    Thanks!

    Martin
    Martin, Sep 20, 2006

  2. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Thanks for the prompt reply.

    Much appreciated!

    Martin
    Martin, Sep 20, 2006

  3. Martin wrote:

    > I have the choice between sending my docs in Word or in PDF.

    If any of your recipients have MS Word (or compatible word processor,
    such as OpenOffice), they could edit and change anything they wished.
    They also may not have the fonts you've chosen, which could dramatically
    change their output.

    If you send in PDF, the files could only be altered by someone who owned
    PDF editing software, which would be rare. Most people have readers
    only.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 20, 2006
  4. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Thanks Beauregard!

    Martin
    Martin, Sep 20, 2006
  5. Martin

    Mitch Guest

    In article <Yg9Qg.99401$>, Martin
    <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Several times per week, I need to e-mail contracts that the recipient must
    > then print and complete.
    >
    > I have the choice between sending my docs in Word or in PDF.
    >
    > What's crucial is that the formatting in my docs remains the same and will
    > not be altered regardless of the type or printing characteristics of the
    > printer.
    >
    > To date, I have sent my docs in PDF and all have been returned with the
    > formatting unchanged.
    >
    > Does the same hold true if sent in Word format?

    Word is incapable of what you describe.
    Word cannot substitute an appropriate font -- Adobe's format can.
    Word is version-dependent for many formatting types -- your recipients
    have to have a minimum version to be able to open them. Adobe's format
    is much more consistent and regular.
    Just because YOU make them in MS Word doesn't mean everyone else has
    Word to open with -- many people use more practical tools, like Open
    Office, and that means two different programs behaving in two different
    ways (and probably Open Office is the more consistent and
    well-behaved!)

    Adobe made the PDF format to do EXACTLY what you are describing.
    Use it, it's good.
    Mitch, Sep 20, 2006
  6. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Thank you, Mitch!

    I didn't realize that docs in PDF were far better in many ways than those in
    Word.

    That's why I ask my questions here, because posters to this NG provide a
    wealth of info.

    BTW, my ISP, Sympatico.ca, discontinued providing NGs where one can post,
    but increased the monthly connectivity charge by $2. Let's hear it for
    corporate greed! You listening Bell Canada Enterprises????

    Regards,

    Martin
    Martin, Sep 21, 2006