Do photos simply look better on CRTs/LCDs than on print ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Richard Kaszeta, Apr 15, 2004.

  1. writes:
    > Or does it ultimately depend on paper quality ?

    Paper quality. On good paper, the prints from either the Epson 2200 I
    have access to, or the cheap Epson Stylus Photo 825 I have at home,
    both blow away anything either my CRT or LCD monitors can do (although
    the LCD is very nice to work on).

    --
    Richard W Kaszeta

    http://www.kaszeta.org/rich

    Richard Kaszeta, Apr 15, 2004

  2. Richard Kaszeta

    Guest

    Or does it ultimately depend on paper quality ?

    , Apr 15, 2004

  3. Richard Kaszeta

    Guest

    wrote:
    > Or does it ultimately depend on paper quality ?

    Ideally, any photo you print will look as good as it does
    on your monitor, not any better or worse. This depends on more
    than just paper quality. Output quality also depends on the
    quality of the printer, monitor, and graphics card, as well
    as the quality of the image at hand.

    , Apr 15, 2004
  4. Richard Kaszeta

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <c5md9o$941$>, wrote:

    > wrote:
    > > Or does it ultimately depend on paper quality ?

    > Ideally, any photo you print will look as good as it does
    > on your monitor, not any better or worse. This depends on more
    > than just paper quality. Output quality also depends on the
    > quality of the printer, monitor, and graphics card, as well
    > as the quality of the image at hand.

    Well there may be a bit more. A print is viewed by reflected light, not
    transmitted light. So the image on your monitor may exhibit a greater
    tonal range then your print.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Apr 15, 2004
  5. Richard Kaszeta

    JJD Guest

    On 15 Apr 2004 16:29:44 GMT, wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Or does it ultimately depend on paper quality ?

    >Ideally, any photo you print will look as good as it does
    >on your monitor, not any better or worse. This depends on more
    >than just paper quality. Output quality also depends on the
    >quality of the printer, monitor, and graphics card, as well
    >as the quality of the image at hand.

    I'm not so sure about that. You monitor image is backlit and has an
    inherent brightness that is hard to match when depending on a
    frontlight to bounce back off a sheet of paper.

    I find I need to use premium glossy photo paper to get decent results
    from a printer.

    JJD

    JJD, Apr 15, 2004
  6. Richard Kaszeta

    Paul H. Guest

    <> wrote in message news:c5md9o$941$...
    > wrote:
    > > Or does it ultimately depend on paper quality ?

    > Ideally, any photo you print will look as good as it does
    > on your monitor, not any better or worse. This depends on more
    > than just paper quality. Output quality also depends on the
    > quality of the printer, monitor, and graphics card, as well
    > as the quality of the image at hand.

    A picture will always look better on a monitor for the following reason: a
    monitor is a transmissive medium, a light source, and hence will always show
    a more realistic result than does a print, which is displayed on a
    reflective/absorptive medium. A monitor, for example, can show you many
    levels of "white" but the whitest white on a print can be no brighter than
    paper upon which the print is made; a similar argument applies to other
    colors as well. Thus, the dynamic range of a print is inherently less than
    what can be displayed on a quality monitor.

    A pixel's luminance and color is more easily and better reproduced when the
    pixel is a light source and not just a dye element reflecting ambient light.

    Paul H., Apr 16, 2004